+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: CES 2012: Parrot's AR Drone 2.0 Full Details Leaked

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
The folks over at DIY Drones have recently posted about a leaked press release for Parrot’s new AR Drone 2.0. For those of you who are unfamiliar with what an
    Thanks

Default CES 2012: Parrot's AR Drone 2.0 Full Details Leaked

The folks over at DIY Drones have recently posted about a leaked press release for Parrot’s new AR Drone 2.0. For those of you who are unfamiliar with what an AR Drone is, it’s an iPhone-controlled quadricopter that uses a number of sensors, including a downward facing camera, to help stabilize its flight. You control the flying machine with the use of an iOS device, such as an iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch.

The 2.0 upgrade offers a new 1280x720 resolution camera that can be used to record videos (with 720P HD capabilities) as well as new flight control modes to allow for easier handling. Previously, you had to rely on the camera to know which way the AR Drone was facing and then send commands from the drone’s perspective. This option is still available for advanced users but with the AR Drone 2.0, the hardware can sense where you are so tilting your phone/tablet away from you will send the drone away and tilting it to your right will make the drone go that way as well. The whole control mechanism is very intuitive.

For those of you who are interested in the 2.0 version of the AR Drone, it will be available for $299 during sometime in the second quarter of 2012. You can check out the leaked press release in the source link and watch some videos of the original AR Drone in action below:

Do any of you think you'll be picking up the new and improved AR Drone 2.0? Share any thoughts and opinions below!

Source: DIY Drones

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

I would love one of these. Shame they cost $300, which will no doubt mean 300 also.

Thanks

i had 2 fly away on me so ill have to pass
    unless the new feature is a string attached to it

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

hell yeah paintball drone!

Green Apple
    Thanks

The other problems are cracked crossbars because of the hard landings (there's no way to manually land it. Hit the land button and watch it drop 2 feet straight down.. I'll wait until it's been tested for awhile and flown by some real users. Too many gotchas that end up costing more that the gizmo is worth.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DaLsim's Avatar
    Thanks

sit and watch for $300, No thks.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

So this new one doesn't even have a beam to protect the propellers. They are gonna sell a **** load of replacement propellers.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Price Perspective
    Quote Originally Posted by Amraam View Post
    I would love one of these. Shame they cost $300, which will no doubt mean 300 also.
    Just to put things in perspective, I build fixed wing and rotorcraft drones/camera ships as a hobby (picked it up in Iraq). While this is just a toy, you couldn't buy a set of rotor blades for $300 for my Bergen Intrepid, let alone the heli, radio equipment, and camera's. This is an expensive hobby any way you look at it. These fairly recent arduino based quad-copters let people get into the sport without spending the 10's of thousands I had to spend, and without the ludicrous learning curve. Six months to build and learn basic flight of my first heli, and that doesn't even begin to deal with first person based camera flight.
    Last edited by ishamiyal; 01-10-2012 at 11:17 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

It's a Vertibird upgrade.