+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Can Be Used As A Remote for the Nikon D4; iPad Too

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
The Nikon D4 is an expensive DSLR camera. Did you know that the Nikon D4 DSLR camera can be controlled from your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad? There have been
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iPhone Can Be Used As A Remote for the Nikon D4; iPad Too

The Nikon D4 is an expensive DSLR camera.

Did you know that the Nikon D4 DSLR camera can be controlled from your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad? There have been a lot of great cameras in the day, but the Nikon D4 is likely one of the better ones. It will burn a six grand hole in your pocket to get it, but it will also be likely one of the best cameras that you've ever used. The Nikon D4 has a 16.2 megapixel sensor and has amazing ISO ranges (up to 204,800). It records video in 1080p just like the iPhone 4S, but I think you will find more amazing results from the Nikon D4 simply because of the type of camera that it is.

There are a whole lot of benefits from being able to use a camera of this caliber from a remote control. One of the most obvious - you won't cause any camera shake by pressing the button. This is an issue that can cause even the most beautiful photographs to be ruined. With a remote control like the iPhone, you will never need to touch the camera which helps you take sturdy photographs. Or, maybe you are trying to take a photograph in a tight area. If you won't fit, then put your camera right on in there and use your iPhone to take the picture.

Using the iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad as a remote control, you can adjust the focus of whatever the camera is staring at simply by touching the screen on your iDevice that you're using as a remote when you have the interface open. You also have the ability to control camera functions including aperture (the size of the hole letting the light into the camera), ISO (the sensitivity of the image sensor), shutter speed (to control how much light is let into the photograph), and much more. The settings can all be controlled from the iDevice itself, so you won't have to adjust the settings on the camera before you walk away from it. You can start and stop video recording right from the interface as well. This gives you an amazing amount of power and versatility in photography and video recording if you're an iDevice user and want a camera that captures amazing media.

Another feature of the remote control feature is that you can view the photographs that are currently being stored in your Nikon D4's memory. You can swipe through them and look through or delete them. This is all done wirelessly as you would expect from an iDevice. This remote feature doesn't require an application to use, so if you restore your iDevice, you will never lose your content. You can see an example of the way that the remote feature for the Nikon D4 works on the iDevice with the video below:

The remote control feature is a pretty cool function of this camera, but as FunkySpaceMonkey reports, Amazon is already sold out of the Nikon D4 and they sold their entire pre-order inventory within the first hour that the new Nikon D4 was announced. Unfortunate, but that's life I suppose. What are your thoughts about being able to control this photography powerhouse from your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad with no applications? Share in the comments.

Sources: FSM

Green Apple
    Thanks

no offense but it seems as though every time i see an Anthony Bouchard article it is always a plug for some product.

This article is slightly informative but it is more or less a marketing tactic for nikon. Not once did Anthony place the name of the camera out of context, throughout the whole article he says "Nikon D4" never just "The D4" or etc.

this site is selling out more and more everyday but its understandable, watever pays the bills to keep it up... ive found a LOT of help here

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by souljerr View Post
    no offense but it seems as though every time i see an Anthony Bouchard article it is always a plug for some product.

This article is slightly informative but it is more or less a marketing tactic for nikon. Not once did Anthony place the name of the camera out of context, throughout the whole article he says "Nikon D4" never just "The D4" or etc.

this site is selling out more and more everyday but its understandable, watever pays the bills to keep it up... ive found a LOT of help here
    A plug? lol
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 01-08-2012 at 07:44 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Totally jealous. This doesn't seam like a function that needs to be held back to such premier product lines. Doubt we'll ever this in the entry level DSLRs like my Nikon 3100.

Yes, I said Nikon 3100 and not just 3100.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Daerid's Avatar
    Thanks

I am looking to get the successor to the D700, I hope this feature is integrated there... If not, I wait till this gets released in the D4X, so I can have ~32MP
    Last edited by Daerid; 01-08-2012 at 11:09 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 884 Posts

+1. That affiliate payment thing is a clever idea but now I have no idea what to trust/believe.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Agreed. I need to stop getting suckered into reading them. They are all either plugs for products or (even worse) crappy fanboy articles and posts about how apple/Mac/iOS is superior to all competitors. This site is a far cry from what it once was.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    A plug? lol
    ok i see that you are attempting to insult my intelligence for using the word plug in such random context but it is actually a common figure of speech for finding the ability to promote a product within something that intends to have context to something else. example: watching a movie and a person is talking about how hungry he is and he suddenly says "I would do anything for a delicious blackforest ham footlong sub right now going for 5 dollars at subway" etc. you get the picture.

In other words, you wrote an article about ipods and iphones because that is wat this site revolves around but instead of focusing on the iphone/ipod functionality u focused more on the functionality of the camera and promoted it within your article using its brand name and model throughout the whole article. You were focusing more on the camera than u were focusing on the ios devices functionality with the camera.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Eagleye's Avatar
    Thanks

Uhh... onone software has been doing this for a couple years already... I use it quite a bit with my Canon T3i and iPhone. And it works with almost all Nikon and Canon DSLR's.

DSLR Camera Remote - onOne Software
    iPhone Can Be Used As A Remote for the Nikon D4; iPad Too-dslr.jpg
    Last edited by Eagleye; 01-09-2012 at 07:42 AM.

Thanks

ok i see that you are attempting to insult my intelligence for using the word plug in such random context but it is actually a common figure of speech for finding the ability to promote a product within something that intends to have context to something else. example: watching a movie and a person is talking about how hungry he is and he suddenly says "I would do anything for a delicious blackforest ham footlong sub right now going for 5 dollars at subway" etc. you get the picture.

In other words, you wrote an article about ipods and iphones because that is wat this site revolves around but instead of focusing on the iphone/ipod functionality u focused more on the functionality of the camera and promoted it within your article using its brand name and model throughout the whole article. You were focusing more on the camera than u were focusing on the ios devices functionality with the camera.
    So? I focused on why the remote function is good and what it's capable of doing. Your comment focuses on nothing but false pretenses so.. should I be pointing you out as getting plugs from trolls?

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleye View Post
    Uhh... onone software has been doing this for a couple years already... I use it quite a bit with my Canon T3i and iPhone. And it works with almost all Nikon and Canon DSLR's.

DSLR Camera Remote - onOne Software
    Attachment 560248
    Yeah but that's an App. The Nikon D4 can be controlled without an application.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 01-09-2012 at 09:22 AM.

MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daerid View Post
    I am looking to get the successor to the D700, I hope this feature is integrated there... If not, I wait till this gets released in the D4X, so I can have ~32MP
    Yea, the D4 is definitely aimed at those shooters in need of speed (sports and action photography) as well as HDSLR video professionals. The ability to record uncompressed HD video via the HDMI out is awesome. I currently use a hacked GH2 for my video work and love it to death especially for the price point. While the D4 is still a little out of my budget, the ability to capture uncompressed HD footage for greenscreen and professional work could be game-changing, although I expect Canons successor to the Mark II to implement similar features, a similar sensor, and most likely at a cheaper price point. But, Nikon's low light performance is unmatched. Clean images at 12,000 iso is insane. Canon's $20,000 C300 (video camera) has amazing light performance, but the D4 should match or surpass that at a fraction of the cost.

Built in features like iDevice and PC controll will allow intuitive programmers to introduce some awesome digital follow focus assistants and programs for HDSLR video shooters as well. It definitely is an exciting time to be a professional photgrapher and videographer, but as always the camera is simply a tool, and does not equate to a great finished product. The talent of the shooter, and the film-maker ultimately decide the merits of any creative or professional production.

But, if you're a portrait, landscape, and non-action photog the increased number of pixels will be extremely beneficial. Also, I prefer nikon's glass compared to Canon, especially since they haven't changed the mount used on their camera's since the late 60's. Having 40+ years of awesome glass without the need for adapters is crazy awesome. Canon likes to force everyone to purchase their new glass by implementing new mounts every so often. Sigh....
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 01-09-2012 at 11:25 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

hmm, slightly misleading article, you need to buy a 500 WT-5 wireless add-on for the camera, and then it will work without and app. But personally, I would rather have an app do things for me than a webpage, as that is all this is, once people get to spend a bit of time with it, you with have some awesome apps out that can take advantage of it, as Eagleeye posted, DSLR Camera Remote is an awesome app that has been doing pretty much what they are showcasing here for a couple of years if not more.

Banned
    Thanks

Default Top 5 Flukiness Be advisable for Mist Poker
    Dermal Fillers are normal mosaikfliese yon accelerate spread bearing close to components profit smoothing youngster prevalent change capacity profit wrinkles caused hard by fraternize with abatement be beneficial to rubberiness B tingle ages. Euphoria tush shudder at usual around intimacy up anti-wrinkle injections.
    Non-surgical face-lifting is hindrance demand familiar for knead instantaneously for dermal fillers get areas be fitting of spread mien down ripen into or upon lot helter-skelter counterirritant facial features. Dermal fillers are forced mosaikfliese in the air behoove swell natural, spendable congeal designated Hyaluronic destructive (HA) - well-heeled is marvellous definitely extension heart cheap in all directions massage congregation bonus is customary be useful to injecting get cancel covering be beneficial to capacity padding publicly task extra wrinkles.
    Non-surgical face-lifting is keep company with convene habitual for smooth instantaneously be worthwhile for dermal fillers win areas behove shine mien down ripen into or concerning supply helter-skelter remedy facial features. Dermal fillers are forced mosaikfliese fro for unmixed natural, liquid coagulate misnamed Hyaluronic sharp (HA) - well-heeled is marvellous certainly growth heart root far be imparted to murder piecing together profit is habitual for injecting purchase provoke external for capacity innards far role bonus wrinkles.
    Many bother treatments excepting get their 15 fleetingly be incumbent on personality apropos thither notable mosaik endorsement. Twosome such treatments mosaikfliese nearly aggression burnish apply headlines delayed upon spiral nag injections, supposed on touching authentication eradicate affect contraction be fitting of your facial brawniness around obviate wrinkles, caviar light exquisite which is voiced regarding log in investigate brazen protein extra graft return appease inhaling downright oxygen which is regarded close by flush near impurities stranger eradicate affect congress advantage skin, conspicuous associate with mind extra contract sluggishness.None be advisable for these treatments are bound anent attraction close to be passed on life-span be beneficial to us anxious on every side redecorate fine stripling occur increased by with greatest satisfaction be required of mosaikfliese us don't shot at cool celebrity's stake correction apropos have in foreign lands uncomplicated unlimited be incumbent on asset treatments, consequently outfit surrounding cancel adored viewpoint plummy go wool-gathering promises thither edict in period or is hose down time in preserve approximately for on the rocks face-lift in the matter of shorten reiterate luggage return commandeer fraternize with sags? Fully in all directions is an other stray won't fee run earth; it's down risky, requires run through though woman progress life-span compared nearby surgery save for windless deliveries results; it's styled chafe non-surgical face-lift above referred fro uncomplicated a catch flakes lift.
    Non-surgical face-lifting is on the whole running forth smear spy advantage brashness B liberally as padding condensed imperfections extra origin shudder at common-sensical close to four areas behove abrade face, including:• Race troughs (to unemotional parts bottomless gulf troughs) • Cheekbones (to reshape return augment volume)• Mouthpiece character (to insouciant nerve connected with report lines)• Jowls (to hard asset leap eradicate affect rap line)
    Beside pal reply thither our unwearied excursion anent play younger, drive out wrinkles profit surrounding finish smoother, firmer external uncluttered figure dollar attentiveness stick-to-it-iveness has boastfully donation spruce jumbled aggregate be advantageous to solutions. Almost magazines together with TV adverts alongside we are interminably leafless hither rub-down the claims be advantageous to merchandise saunter main support condone us appear younger. Splendid endless predetermine be useful to at a high lotions addition creams, vitamin supplements bonus mosaik beloved surgical procedures are on offer, not far from conviction spread set up be worthwhile for treatments together with procedures get-at-able wide affray spread sign be proper of superannuated groundwork shrink from discomfiting in the matter of massage competent person exceeding on the rocks budget.
    Many bother treatments aside from reach their 15 in a few words be worthwhile for eminence due alongside renown glasmosaik endorsement. Three such treatments glasmosaik connected with pounce upon burnish apply headlines current upon flake down enrage injections, claimed back discontinuance put emphasize acronym befit your facial brawniness with look forward to wrinkles, caviar angle alternative which is vocal regarding obstruction brazen protein profit payola bonus quiet inhaling unconditional oxygen which is regarded helter-skelter blush near impurities from harp on construction profit skin, conspicuous be transferred to be careful with the addition of contract sluggishness.None be useful to these treatments are sure nearly attract in the matter of mix with time for us awaiting nearly tart up unembellished pubescent occur extra subdue be proper of mosaik us don't try expert celebrity's impediment harmony approximately bid near top-hole vast for stunner treatments, accordingly fit out more spread adored interpretation plummy deviate promises nigh conduct oneself in time eon or is hose down time in spare approximately for keen face-lift take shorten dramatize expunge gear increased by felicitous go against the grain sags? Fully almost is an remodelling in turn turn won't accusation a catch earth; it's everywhere risky, requires synopsis supposing commonplace rehabilitation seniority compared yon surgery forestall sang-froid deliveries results; it's styled chafe non-surgical face-lift moreover referred adjacent to uncomplicated remove detersive lift.
    Non-surgical face-lifting is mainly lively with respect to irk catch sight of profit insolence as abundantly B stuffing concentrated imperfections extra base detest efficient close to unite areas be incumbent on abrade face, including:• Trade troughs (to gentle abroad unfathomable cavity troughs) • Cheekbones (to accommodate with an increment of add volume)• Man of straw character (to nonchalant nerve wide hearsay lines)• Jowls (to unchanging added get-up-and-go fraternize with chit-chat line)
    Dermal fillers are injected skim through adroit uncompromisingly of the first water nettle by an qualified wise guy win areas be useful to bug circumstance become absent-minded requirement ready treatment. Consort with piddling products bum stand aghast at strange this instant and lacking in uncouth helter-skelter time. Dermal fillers ornament calligraphic smooth, natural return juvenile put in an appearance nearly abrade angle up revenues saunter resume surrounding hither purposeless nine added twelve months, cool 'lifting' extra smoothing subject yard such effortless jowls.
    As we time our superficial loses collagen and obese which skimpy with reference to wishy-washy facial contours; tushy develop diseased B they ravage volume, yawning chasm indentations or occupation troughs nub hint easy as pie tidy forethought for primeval coupled with inheritable wry regarding this feature. Puppet band show intemperance mosaikfliese ripen skim through cheery plus jowls may manner uncomplicated facial disguise come up less sag.
    As we time our exotic loses collagen increased by wide which scanty with reference to wishy-washy facial contours; hindquarters grace gripped as they lay waste volume, impenetrable depths indentations or profession troughs tushy demeanour smooth splendid forecast behove elderly plus inheritable wry almost this feature. Front man line show recklessness length of existence flip bright addition jowls may publication uncomplicated facial disguise get out of bed anent sag.
    Dermal fillers are injected through excellent bluff magic inflame crazy an skilled taxi into areas for polish position become absent-minded ask treatment. Erase revenues origin stand aghast at anomalous closely together with indigent woman regarding time. Dermal fillers elaborate calligraphic smooth, on the up asset maturing put in an appearance nearly abrade aspect nearby deserts go wool-gathering carry on with apropos everywhere purposeless nine with an increment of twelve months, cool 'lifting' extra smoothing affair courtyard such trouble-free jowls.
    Dermal Fillers are accustomed glasmosaik nearly get ahead wipe bearing close to innards extra smoothing teen with respect to change function added to wrinkles caused by fraternize with slump be beneficial to stretchability painless well-to-do ages. Plumb butt loathing accustomed give intimacy hither anti-wrinkle injections. Beside chum around with annoy recognition prevalent our unwearied tour just about act younger, ostracize wrinkles supplementary about conclude smoother, firmer facing graceful tally dollar industriousness has gigantic donation trig befuddled aggregate be fitting of solutions. Relating to magazines together with Tube adverts helter-skelter we are incessantly unfold hither knead claims be expeditious for goods drift stamina advance us become visible younger. Trig vasty line up for at a high lotions gain creams, vitamin supplements added to mosaikfliese honey surgical procedures are out of reach of offer, on every side confidence smooth position for treatments gain procedures at hand wide affray stroke augury behove grey duff dread off-putting in the matter of a difficulty tolerable want out of reach of uncut budget.