+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: TidyTilt: Smart Cover for iPhone 4/iPhone 4S

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Want a Smart Cover for your iPhone 4/iPhone 4S? Please view the video content on a computer. There have been several attempts to make a Smart Cover for the iPhone,
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default TidyTilt: Smart Cover for iPhone 4/iPhone 4S

Want a Smart Cover for your iPhone 4/iPhone 4S?

Please view the video content on a computer.

There have been several attempts to make a Smart Cover for the iPhone, but here's a cool one. It's called the TidyTilt and it's expected to be launched by January 29th of this year. The designers behind the product are two design students from Chicago named, Derek Tarnow and Zahra Tashakorinia. The design is nearly similar to that of the Smart Cover for the iPad 2, except there's one major difference, the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S don't have that magnet engineering that the iPad 2 does. To make the iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S work with this cover, there is actually a mount that has to be placed on the back of the iPhone. It is a stainless steel band that is stuck to the iPhone's rear end with sticky adhesive. The colored TidyTilt is magnet-integrated, so it clings to that stainless steel band that you put on the rear end.

It's called the TidyTilt because it can be used for two things. One, is that you can use it as a tilt so that you can view your iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S at and angle, the same way that the Smart Cover allows you to see your iPad 2 at a slanted angle if you lay it down with the cover mangled up. The second use is that because the TidyTilt is free-standing from the stainless steel band, you can use it as a headphone tidier, which you loop your headphones around and then close with the magnets on the edges. It can hold headphones or a USB sync cable. You can see it in action in the image below:

If you're worried about magnets around your precious iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S, then have no fear, because the iPhone uses flash memory instead of magnetic hard disk drives. You won't have to worry about anything damaging your storage. The creators of TidyTilt warn though that the magnets from TidyTilt will affect the Compass application because it uses a magnetometer to find North, however you can return the compass's actions to normal by removing the magnetic TidyTilt while you use the Compass application. The only thing that I would worry about might be that adhesive - we don't know exactly how sticky it is or if it's bad for the back of the iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S because of the oleophobic coating on the glass.

Basically, you can use it for many things, like sticking the iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S to surfaces that are magnetic, which makes things easier depending on what you're doing. One example in the video is someone sticking the iPhone to a white board so that they can read it while they write on the white board - probably to copy what is being displayed on the screen. So the TidyTilt is capable of not only making your iPhone easier to see at angles, and storing your wires, but also for making it accessible in difficult locations. You will also see that the stainless steel bezel that is put on the rear of the iPhone lifts it from surfaces, so that means that it will protect the back from getting scratched when you lay it on a table. They also show us how it can be placed on the back of hard cases as well as the rear of the iPhone itself.

TinyTilt appears to be made out of the same materials as the iPad 2 Smart Cover. It includes a hole for the camera lens (which personally I would recommend removing the TidyTilt for pictures). The cost for this accessory is $19 and you can select a color of black, blue, green, or pink. It's great for steadying your iPhone for a FaceTime call or watching a video. I think that this might be a cool little product to have for just $19, but there might be better alternatives out there if you look hard enough. I think I might pick one of these up. What do you think about the TidyTilt? Share in the comments.

Sources: KickStarter via Redmond Pie
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 01-04-2012 at 09:20 PM.

Thanks

Want.... Only one problem: I don't have an iPhone 4....

Livin the iPhone Life R.Mortera's Avatar
    Thanks

Then why'd you read and reply? ^

This is really nice, have this for my iPad and it works phenomenal.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,231 Times in 997 Posts

Just bought me one as soon as I finished watching the video. Very interesting & can't wait to get my hands on it

Thanks

This looks very intriguing. The design is very simple, which I find appealing for accessories of Apple products. The cheap cost is also very nice. Thumbs up for young entrepreneurs!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by R.Mortera View Post
    Then why'd you read and reply? ^

This is really nice, have this for my iPad and it works phenomenal.
    I love my iPad smart cover (using it now heh) but frankly I don't see how tilting your iPhone is that great seeing as how you can just hold it in your hand... Still neat idea

iPhone? More like MyPhone chad daddy's Avatar
    Thanks

Always wanted one of these knew it was comin sooner or later.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This looks dumb. I don't use earbuds, but I do have IEMS. My phone needs a more realistic case, and I really don't like that it kills the compass. Try a bit harder and I might buy this.

Thanks

Wonder what grade of stainless is used if its magnetic...

-Luke

iPhone? More like MyPhone Hillefied's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by haibane View Post
    This looks dumb. I don't use earbuds, but I do have IEMS. My phone needs a more realistic case, and I really don't like that it kills the compass. Try a bit harder and I might buy this.
    You may not use earbuds, but everyone uses a charging cable. this just keeps the cable a bit more organized and "tidy" so you don't have to deal with tangles. This doesn't serve as a case. It's just a unique way of utilizing your phone as shown in the video. It's innovative and creative.

And compass is not killed by this, it is temporary and unless you're incredibly lazy, simply removing the magnetic trifolding back, the compass appears to work fine.

Did you even watch the video?

Quote Originally Posted by lkailburn View Post
    Wonder what grade of stainless is used if its magnetic...

-Luke
    The stainless steel rim that adheres to the phone is not magnetic. The trifold flap is what is magnetic. You need to watch the video closely to see that.

All grades of steel can have magnetic material attach to it. FYI
    Last edited by Hillefied; 01-04-2012 at 10:58 PM.

Thanks

How does that iphone stick to the wall and fridge unless that metal frame is magnetic too? And if that frame is also magnetic, then the compass would still malfunction even after you remove that dinky little cover.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Colby21 View Post
    How does that iphone stick to the wall and fridge unless that metal frame is magnetic too? And if that frame is also magnetic, then the compass would still malfunction even after you remove that dinky little cover.
    Read my previous post and watch the video closely. The magnetic trifold is the only thing that is magnetic.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Cellular's Avatar
    Thanks

I couldn't help but lol at "please view video content on a computer"
    Idevices don't like anthony and his articles video links :/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cellular View Post
    I couldn't help but lol at "please view video content on a computer"
    Idevices don't like anthony and his articles video links :/
    BB Code is much different than HTML. A link to the website address could have sufficed since the ModMyi app has a built in browser, but not for good ole Tony. Lol. I only jest. No offense intended.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Colby21 View Post
    They dont show it, but when they stick it to the White Board, the cover/kickstand is probably on. They say in the video that the band that goes on the back of the iphone is stainless steal and that the tidytilt cover has 3 magnetic bands going through it.....

Thanks

All grades of steel can have magnetic material attach to it. FYI[/QUOTE]

Not true. Depends on the grade of stainless. The amount of nickel or carbon can affect the magnetism. Iron is magnetic, but it also oxidizes rapidly, so nickel and carbon are added to counteract this, hence the term "stainless." The greater the nickel content, the more resistant to rust, and the lower attraction to magnets. FYI.
    I always thought the term "early adopter" (regarding tech) was a bit snooty. So, I'll go ahead and call myself an early adopter, cuz I'm feeling a bit snooty.

Thanks

I love buying things online but it really does suck that the shipping cost is more then 1/2 the price not even including customs. Totally would have loved but not for 29+tax.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Shipping is FREE if you live in the states

Thanks

F//K the compass.....lol

iPhone? More like MyPhone Airwaves182's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigliquid530 View Post
    F//K the compass.....lol
    Haha agreed! I Never use that crapp!