+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Review] Change the Color Profile of Your iDevice Display

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
With this tweak you can change the color profile of your screen. Are you unsatisfied with the color scheme of your display? Maybe the colors seem a bit off to
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default [Review] Change the Color Profile of Your iDevice Display

With this tweak you can change the color profile of your screen.

Are you unsatisfied with the color scheme of your display? Maybe the colors seem a bit off to you? Well if you didn't know, you can adjust that. You can change the color profile of your iDevice screen the same way that you can with your Mac using one of Ryan Petrich's jailbreak tweaks which has been dubbed Color Profiles. It certainly isn't new, but it's something that seems to have been forgotten in the jailbreak community. With it, you can change the color profile of your screen using either the manual sliders or by selecting a pre-installed color profile. Are the pre-installed color profiles not enough for you? No problem! You can download more in Cydia.

You'll notice that when you install Color Profiles, you are given a new settings cell in the Settings application that lets you change the color profile settings. You will see two sliders, and a button. The button brings you to the menu of pre-installed color profiles that you can toggle for your iDevice. When you download any new color profiles from Cydia, they will also appear in this menu. You can see what the menu looks like in the image below:

Now of course, the color profile settings could be used for several different things. One, and the most obvious, would be making the device look better under certain lighting conditions. We've seen something similar to this in the f.lux application that was released into Cydia about three months ago which would change the color temperature of your iDevice automatically depending on the time. This tweak can do something similar, except that it's not on a set time limit; you can set the color temperature manually by yourself without any automatic intervention.

Alternatively, you can use it as a type of theme. The color profiles that are built in include numerous color types like grayscale (which makes it appear black and white), and if you're a colorful case user, you can pick a color that looks good with the case. While not the best way to theme your iDevice, it's one way that some people might find this functionality useful for them. I would have to say that perhaps one of the cooler color profiles in this tweak would be the classic Mac profile.

There is even a setting built in that allows you to toggle a color temperature using an Activator action. This allows you to toggle on certain color temperatures or profiles based on your preference by invoking a special Activator action when you want to very easily instead of fiddling with the settings each time you want to change something. You can set up to one color profile per Activator action and they will add up quick, so choose wisely. If lighting conditions go from suddenly very bright to very dark, you can invoke an action to set the color profile to a more preferable color setting so that it will reduce eyestrain and help you read your screen more comfortably.

My favorite part about this tweak is being able to tinker with all of the different kinds of color settings. I like seeing how my photographs and things of that nature appear in them. It could be more of an entertainment value to me, but I think that someone who needs to adjust the iDevice's color scheme will find this tweak useful if that constant bluish glow hurts their eyes later at night. I give this tweak a good rating because it's simply easy to use and does exactly what it's intended to do very well. After installing this tweak there will be no icons added to your home screen; settings will be added to the Settings application. Color Profiles is compatible with iOS 4 and iOS 5.

Name: Color Profiles
    Price: $1.99
    Repo: BigBoss
    Version: 1.0
    Developer: Ryan Petrich
    Editor's Rating: / 4.5/5

Sources: Ryan Petrich

Thanks

What's cool about the classic Mac profile?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tashawn's Avatar
    Thanks

You should've posted a picture / screenshot of the actually effect.
    Last edited by Tashawn; 01-04-2012 at 07:44 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tashawn View Post
    You should posted a picture / screenshot of the actually effect.
    Yeah I agree...although I did look at the dev's twitter...he has no site (that I'm aware of) and no pics on his twitter...so eh.

Thanks

I was gonna post pics but it won't let me. Guess we can't post pics in "staff only" forum threads. You'll need to use an external camera to get pics of some of them. A screenshot turns out normal except greyscale and the other black and white ones.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Nice tweak,my iPhone 4 came with the yellow screen now I can adjust myself

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I use f.lux on my iMac, and I used it with my iPhone 4 and iPad 2 when they were jailbroken...and I loved it. I actually never even see this tweak/app in Cydia and I'm glad you guys posted it here. Looks like a really cool way to make the screen easier to read in low-light conditions at any given time.

Thanks

This is probably one of the tweaks I'm most excited for, for when the 4s jailbreak comes out so I can fix the ugly yellow tint. I don't know if it's worth $2 though...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by babyydaveyy View Post
    This is probably one of the tweaks I'm most excited for, for when the 4s jailbreak comes out so I can fix the ugly yellow tint. I don't know if it's worth $2 though...
    same here. my 4s has an ugly yellow tint to it, not noticeable so much on it's own but when I put it next to my 4 which has a super blue tint to it, or my parents 4s's you can definitely tell the difference.

Banned
    Thanks

just installed it on my 4.

what a dumbass tweak.

Why would someone want an app that makes their screen appear malfunctioning with ridiculous coloured tints ?

stupid

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TypeRBass View Post
    same here. my 4s has an ugly yellow tint to it, not noticeable so much on it's own but when I put it next to my 4 which has a super blue tint to it, or my parents 4s's you can definitely tell the difference.
    There is two different screens on the 4S with different gammas. One is more yellow and one is more blue.

Thanks

i wish we could just make the black black and not dark grey

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MagikShotty View Post
    i wish we could just make the black black and not dark grey
    That's actually more of a hardware issue. These little screens don't produce the best black levels.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

or u guys should put ur brightness levels a bit lower (lol)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tashawn View Post
    You should've posted a picture / screenshot of the actually effect.
    Screenshots don't capture the effect.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    It does on greyscale.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by A3gOwner View Post
    It does on greyscale.
    I think that's it. If it doesn't capture the rest then there's really no way to show what it does. You can see some pictures of what it does in the Cydia screenshot section.

Thanks

No giveaway?!?

Jk

I don't know.. I'm a little afraid to try this. 2bucks is two bucks and I don't want this to be a tweak that I install and never use. I wish they had a trial or something

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    can not access it in cydia gives me a 403b forbidden error code when trying to install any suggestions.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Would have loved to have this two years ago when apple replaced the screen on my 3GS with the worst one possible.

And the 4s people, why didn't you return yours for a replacement??