+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Review] Listen to Your iPhone Music Even In An Old Cassette-Playing Car Radio

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
In some cases, our vehicles are still older than our iDevices. If you have an older vehicle, like my 1999 Jeep Cherokee Limited, then you might find that you have
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 767 Posts

Default [Review] Listen to Your iPhone Music Even In An Old Cassette-Playing Car Radio

In some cases, our vehicles are still older than our iDevices.

If you have an older vehicle, like my 1999 Jeep Cherokee Limited, then you might find that you have a cassette player instead of an MP3-supported stereo system. If you want to be able to listen to your iDevice's music without paying a ton for a new stereo, this is a viable option that will only cost you $9.99 out of pocket, and gives you cassette-quality music right from your iDevice, without needing to pay an arm and a leg for a brand new up-to-date stereo system. This device is called the Motor Trend Cassette Adapter and it really is as easy to use as it looks.

The Cassette end is inserted into the vehicle's Cassette player and the wire with the 3.5mm headphone jack will stick out. The wire is approximately two feet long and is good enough to let your iPhone or iPod to sit in a cup holder while it's plugged in. The sound quality is no better than a cassette player, but it works. If you have great quality music on your iDevice and you play it with this cassette adapter, you will notice the difference in sound quality which is slightly boiled down because you won't get your digital sound. When you're using it you'll see how the wire sticks out of the Cassette port; it looks like this:

To reduce noise, turn your treble down and your bass up if your vehicle stereo has the option to do so. Mine appears to sound halfway decent so that it sounds like it's coming from the radio. For $9.99, I'd say it's a good buy. Your bass quality depends on your speakers in your vehicle and the sound quality will always have that hard-to-hear fuzzy background because of the nature of cassette tapes. It's no wonder that we found ourselves converting to CD's and finally MP3's.

The Motor Trend Cassette Adapter is small enough to store in your purse, pocket, glove compartment, or storage compartment in your vehicle and it really doesn't weigh much. It weighs less than a pair of in-ear headphones; being made out of plastic.

One thing that I did have a fall out with is the fact that the Motor Trend Cassette Adapter's 3.5mm jack has a rather large circumference and doesn't fit my Apple Bumper case. It's not too overly large that it won't fit some or most cases, however we know how Apple is with making their accessories absolutely perfect for each other and for no one else's accessories. That being said, I did have to let my bare and vulnerable iPhone 4 sit in my cup holder praying that I didn't drive over any large bumps or hit any rough turns as not to scratch it. I will probably end up purchasing a different case.

Another thing to note is that if you're driving a standard transmission vehicle and you put the iPhone in a cup holder, the wire from the adapter might tickle your hand constantly while you're driving which can serve as a distraction. Another thing that serves as a distraction is the urge to switch a song while you're driving. We never recommend that you handle a phone while driving; it's always better to pull over or settle in a parking lot or have a passenger switch songs for you.

How many of you still have a cassette player in your vehicles and would consider buying an adapter like this? Share in the comments.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It must be a slow news day. :-) I used to have a jeep with a cassette player and used an adapter just like this. It worked just fine and it isn't much different than having it hooked up to a newer cd player with usb support.

Thanks

I hear there gonna make TV's in color next year too! LMAO

iPhone? More like MyPhone Eagleye's Avatar
    Thanks

I bought one of these and there's no music on the cassette! Forget this high-tech nonsense, I'm sticking to my 8-tracks.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I had one of these over 20 years ago for use with my portable CD player. How is this news???? Unless I accidentally went 88 MPH in my DeLorean on my way home today and went back in time ...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thing this cassette adapter been around for ages i can remember it from the days since portable Cd players came out. Can be found online for easily 2 bucks or cheaper .

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Is ModMyi suddenly off its head?

I've been using these since 1996!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I saw the title and thought maybe there's some kind of techy savvy new thing coming out... but nope..
    I literally laughed my ***** off from reading how to properly insert the cassette into the cassette player while leaving the cord out with a 3.5mm headset jack on the end of it. And how the wire is "approximately" 2 feet long. I hope this is a joke, I really do.

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Now this is news I could use... 25+ years ago!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Satellite radios still come with these...

Thanks

Hey they still sell these? lol

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GunHo198 View Post
    I hear there gonna make TV's in color next year too! LMAO
    IN COLOR NO WAY DUDE

Nice LOL, i went into this thread just to say how old this news is but man you made my day, i never expected to come across this

iPhone? More like MyPhone smuj29's Avatar
    Thanks

Ha ha i had one of these about 12 years ago, they cost like $2 or less on the interweb, good if you have a real old 4x4 or old work van, plug any mp3 player in, then your done.

iPhone? More like MyPhone SwatPac's Avatar
    Thanks

The guy at the music store told me about this when I was buying the new BeeGees long play!

Green Apple
    Thanks

I have been using one of these(a cheaper one I got from walmart) for years, not really news. And mine works great, the sound quality is good with no car stereo adjustments needed.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by charlyc View Post
    Hey they still sell these? lol
    Lol. I was thinking the same thing! Think I bought one in the early 90's. And the price of this one is too high. The dollar store has some for a buck! Lol.

This just in...throw away your candles, the light bulb has been invented. Lol

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

$9.99??? You got ripped off mate, these things sell for pittance.
    I have one that cost under 2 dollars 2 years ago, and it works just as well as these expensive ones.

Thanks

I recall this device in my 1990 Sunbird LS and I was 15-16yrs old. 10years ago. Hey Doc grab me on ur way back at 88mph

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    What puzzles me is that for $10 no one has created a Bluetooth version of these things that is powered by a mini-generator turned by the tape drive. Oh wait, they have!
    Bluetooth Cassette Adapter w/ Built-in MIC - BT-Cassette

But it looks like it still needs to be powered by cigarette lighter adapter. Ugh. All that free energy going to waste.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Woooooooooow !!!!

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast