+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Article: [Review] Applocker 2 Going Live In Cydia Tonight!

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default [Review] AppLocker 2 Going Live In Cydia Tonight!

AppLocker is an iOS security system for your applications and much more.

Are you one who loves keeping your iDevice so airtight that not even some of the best iPhone tinkerers can figure out how to get into your stuff? The iOS pass code is a great way to secure your iPhone, but it doesn't exactly offer pristine protection all across your device and figuring a four digit pass code isn't particularly hard to do. If you use the complex option, all someone needs to do is look over your shoulder and they know how to get full access to your iPhone. So, why not add some protective measures even beyond the pass code? Today we will be looking at Applocker 2, the replacement for Applocker which we reviewed at this link.

Applocker 2 is a free update for all Applocker owners, but if you didn't buy Applocker then unfortunately you'll need to pay full price for Applocker 2. Applocker 2 is made by a great iOS developer known as Ori Kadosh. This application is extensive and offers you security protection from unwanted hands all across the seams of iOS. It can provide security for your applications, folders, and much more. But, as we all like to hear, Applocker 2 actually adds security for even more places than Applocker did. You can take a look at the image above to see what has changed in Applocker 2 from Applocker.

With the new Applocker 2, you can lock the device from being tampered with when your iDevice goes into 'jiggle' (app deletion/moving) mode, where the application will show either a green or a red lock; red indicating locked and green indicating unlocked. You can also set Applocker 2 to disable itself on a certain Wi-Fi network. In case you were wondering how that would be useful, you can set it so that when you go on your own Wi-Fi network at home, Applocker 2 will be disabled so that you can use your device regularly. When you go out in public or to friends' houses, where your iDevice might be funked with, Applocker 2 will detect that you're not connected to your home Wi-Fi and activate its features again. It is a pretty cool feature if you ask me; you can see the setting in the screenshot below where you enter your Wi-Fi network name:

Applocker 2 takes iOS 5 locking to the next level, allowing you to lock notification banners. Additionally, you can keep people from accessing your Camera Roll photographs through the Camera application with that Camera Roll button at the bottom left which means that your photos will be kept private. With Applocker 2, you can lock up to 5 SpringBoard folders in the settings. You will need to type out the names of the folders exactly as they appear for Applocker 2 to recognize them. The entire Applocker 2 changelog can be read from this link. If you're ever worried that while using Applocker 2 that you might forget what your Applocker 2 password was, Ori included a feature that lets you invoke a password reset which requires that you enter a personal phrase and get it right. After you do that, your password will be reset to 1234:

Applocker 2 has been completely re-written from scratch and isn't just a minor enhancement to the original Applocker. The settings application is much cleaner - showing less clutter and much easier to understand organization. Performance has also been enhanced for older devices. Functionality that mirrors a jailbreak tweak known as KickLock, by developer Pathkiller29, has been integrated into Applocker 2. Applocker 2, once installed, doesn't put any icons on your home screen, instead you have the settings cell in the Settings application. It's compatible with iOS 4 and iOS 5 and it can be enabled and disabled on demand. I think that Applocker 2 is the best iOS lock application on the market - selling for a great price and offering amazing functionality that includes what Applocker was capable of and then extending it to unmatched milestones.

Here is a video demo from Ori Kadosh:

Here's a little about Ori Kadosh, the developer behind Applocker 2:

Anthony: Tell us in about a paragraph a little about yourself; include how you became a developer.
    Ori: I'm a high school student from Israel. I guess I became a developer when I found out that I want to create stuff. Most of what I've created was on a need basis (just like Applocker). I started learning when I was very young; long before the iPhone. I've made stuff on several different platforms using various languages. I started as a Flash (yes, Flash, the thing that the iPhone doesn't support) developer; I still love making flash games (even though I have some mixed feelings about the current status of flash).

Name: Applocker
    Price: 99˘
    Version: 2.00-10
    Repo: Modmyi
    Developer: Ori Kadosh
    Editor's Rating: / 4.5/5

What do you think about Applocker 2? Will you consider buying this great security application? Share in the comments!

Sources: Ori Kadosh
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 01-02-2012 at 10:21 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

cjori (01-06-2012)

jb4
    Thanks

for a buck...yes...don't even have to wait for the cracked version
    Last edited by jb4; 01-02-2012 at 04:45 PM.
    If my 2 cents helped ya, Thank me by hitting the Thanks Button!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

When are people going to stop wasting money on these "security" tweaks? These are only as strong as MobileSubstrate and once MS is disabled (aka "safe mode") your "airtight" security has been breached and rendered useless.

(it's quite easy to send a phone to safe mode, either via SBSettings or SSH or causing a springboard crash "by mistake")

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hyshai29 View Post
    When are people going to stop wasting money on these "security" tweaks? These are only as strong as MobileSubstrate and once MS is disabled (aka "safe mode") your "airtight" security has been breached and rendered useless.

(it's quite easy to send a phone to safe mode, either via SBSettings or SSH or causing a springboard crash "by mistake")
    How is someone going to SSH into your device when you're abroad and on 3G - or if you change your root password and no one knows it? How are you going to access SBSettings when you lock access to it with Applocker? Exactly. And you can lock Cydia too.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Oh come on I was only giving examples; there are a myriad of ways to disable MS. Even if it happens by mistake, all it takes is one accidental SB crash to breach your phone. All this is good for is to keep non tech savvy people out.

Oh and you don't need root SSH access to execute this command
    touch /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/com.saurik.mobilesubstrate.dat

and then respring, voila SafeMode
    Last edited by Hyshai29; 01-02-2012 at 04:26 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ah, I hope they will add the toggle for SBSettings. Shall be a great alternative to Lockdown Pro, anyhow.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    How is someone going to SSH into your device when you're abroad and on 3G - or if you change your root password and no one knows it? How are you going to access SBSettings when you lock access to it with Applocker? Exactly. And you can lock Cydia too.
    This app is cool but for me, the Safe Mode way can be easily exploited seeing as I have SBSettings available from everywhere including the lock screen. I have this set up like that incase my iPod has been messed up and I need a quick safe mode respring. But people don't need to know that
    I'll definitely give this tweak a try

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

He should take out the auto correct when typing the "phrase".

Green Apple
    Thanks
    It's fine for everyday use - please Pod2g get the 4s jailbreak out it's torture seeing all these cool tweaks and I'm stuck on regular ios5 it's boring me already

Z!G
    Thanks

Oh yeah...................I'm so buying this.....................If only the interface was as perfected as Lockdown Pro was...............that tweak was truly flawless................Even would ask for a pass code when switching via Multifl0w (if session locking was not enabled).
    Which no other app locking tweak does................

I have tried all of them and every single one had a flaw where i could access a locked app without the pass code......Even AppLocker.........Usually these flaws lie in opening an app from a link............

For example a website link in an email. If you tap on the link...Safari will open...........But if locked..........it would still open.....One thing every single app locking tweak has over looked........except for Lockdown Pro.............I really wish ipodtouchmaster (the Dev of Lockdown Pro) would update is tweak, or at least let us people that bought his tweak know if there will be an update or not. Makes me very mad.

At least give us some piece of mind damn it!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Why are they showing this on the 4s, a currently unjailbreakable phone?

My iPhone is a Part of Me PoEtikly's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rayzah_blade View Post
    Why do you say its a 4s? I see nothing that proves its 4s?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PoEtikly View Post
    Why do you say its a 4s? I see nothing that proves its 4s?
    He means in the photo. It has the black bands at the top and bottom of the phone while the iPhone 4 only has them at the bottom. Look at the sides of the phone. You'll see what I mean.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Z!G View Post
    Oh yeah...................I'm so buying this.....................If only the interface was as perfected as Lockdown Pro was...............that tweak was truly flawless................Even would ask for a pass code when switching via Multifl0w (if session locking was not enabled).
    Which no other app locking tweak does................

I have tried all of them and every single one had a flaw where i could access a locked app without the pass code......Even AppLocker.........Usually these flaws lie in opening an app from a link............

For example a website link in an email. If you tap on the link...Safari will open...........But if locked..........it would still open.....One thing every single app locking tweak has over looked........except for Lockdown Pro.............I really wish ipodtouchmaster (the Dev of Lockdown Pro) would update is tweak, or at least let us people that bought his tweak know if there will be an update or not. Makes me very mad.

At least give us some piece of mind damn it!
    I agree. LockDown Pro was amazing. I e-mailed the dev to see if their was an update coming but haven't gotten an answer.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Retribution1337 View Post
    He means in the photo. It has the black bands at the top and bottom of the phone while the iPhone 4 only has them at the bottom. Look at the sides of the phone. You'll see what I mean.
    It looks like a CDMA white iPhone 4 (CDMA iPhone's have that same look).

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rayzah_blade View Post
    What makes you think theres a 4S involved here?

My iPhone is a Part of Me PoEtikly's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    It looks like a CDMA white iPhone 4 (CDMA iPhone's have that same look).
    I agree. Not a 4S. My fiancé has a white i4 and it has the bands on it and it's on AT&T.

Quote Originally Posted by PoEtikly View Post
    I agree. Not a 4S. My fiancé has a white i4 and it has the bands on it and it's on AT&T.
    Don listen to me I couldn't see the bottom band because of the admob ad. Hers only has the top band but I still agree with Anthony. Thanks for clearing that up bro (pm).
    Last edited by PoEtikly; 01-02-2012 at 08:54 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

how in the hell do you reset the password. Apparently I turned the protection without setting a password. Now I can't even changed the settings. There should at least be a default password or something. This sucks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Hello there,
    I see some (legit) concerns about Applocker 2's functionality.
    Being the developer of Applocker I'm here to address them:
    If you're afraid of someone just turning off Applocker from the SBSettings 'More' menu, just lock the SBSettings app and turn 'Post App Launch' on. This way there's no way of gaining access to the SBSettings More menu without your password.
    As for launching apps with Multif0w, Applocker 2 is even compatible with that, and in fact, every Cydia tweak out there that launches app (Zephyr, SBSettings' dock). Just use the 'Post App Launch' locking mechanism and your apps are totally safe.
    If you have more question of this sort, feel free to email me from Cydia - I answer all of my emails almost immediately.
    Have a nice day,
    Ori

Thanks
    Thanked 4,354 Times in 1,307 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cjori View Post
    Hello there,
    I see some (legit) concerns about Applocker 2's functionality.
    Being the developer of Applocker I'm here to address them:
    If you're afraid of someone just turning off Applocker from the SBSettings 'More' menu, just lock the SBSettings app and turn 'Post App Launch' on. This way there's no way of gaining access to the SBSettings More menu without your password.
    As for launching apps with Multif0w, Applocker 2 is even compatible with that, and in fact, every Cydia tweak out there that launches app (Zephyr, SBSettings' dock). Just use the 'Post App Launch' locking mechanism and your apps are totally safe.
    If you have more question of this sort, feel free to email me from Cydia - I answer all of my emails almost immediately.
    Have a nice day,
    Ori
    Now that's grade a support! Lol I'll buy it, like right now