+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Source Claims Sixty-Six Percent of Phones Sold at AT&T Stores in December Were iPhones

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Source Claims Sixty-Six Percent of Phones Sold at AT&T Stores in December Were iPhones

Courtesy of Mac Observer

AT&T sold the iPhone exclusively for over three years, and according to a recent survey, the carrierís reliance on iPhone sales hasn't diminished.

Mac Observer, citing an inside source at AT&T, claims the iPhone made up 66% of phone sales at AT&T corporate retail stores during the month of December, while Android accounted for 8.5%. AT&Tís stores sold 981,000 iPhones between December 1 and December 27. During the same period AT&Tís stores sold 126,000 Android devices.

Basic feature phones managed to sell more than Android devices with 128,000 units moved. RIMís Blackberry devices continued their decline managing to sell 74,0000 units and Windows Phone 7 devices did even worse.

While all of this information looks to spell out a nice holiday whitewashing by the iPhone, the data only includes sales figures from AT&Tís corporate stores. The source did not include authorized resellers sales, online sales, retail outlets or telephone sales. Appleís iPhone has long been AT&Tís flagship smartphone, amassing 56% of AT&T smartphone orders last quarter so it stands to reason the iPhone's popularity would carry over into the holiday season.

Tim Cook mentioned last quarter he was confident Apple would set another iPhone sales record during the December quarter, no doubt fueled by the iPhone 4S and the holiday shopping season. Some analysts estimate Apples revenue at over $40 billion for the December quarter besting Appleís own estimate of $37 billion.

Souce: Mac Observer [via Apple Insider]

iPhone? More like MyPhone johnr9412's Avatar
    Thanks

Crap..should've been 66.6% haha
    my SPOON is too big

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah cause what kind of an idiot is gunna ask for an Android

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I am honestly floored that Android is so low on the list. I feel the numbers are off, but that is just a gut feeling.

MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    I am honestly floored that Android is so low on the list. I feel the numbers are off, but that is just a gut feeling.
    That was my initial feeling as well. It'll be interesting to see what the December quarter official numbers show which will hopefully include reseller data from multiple outlets. Although, I do have a feeling AT&T corporate stores most likely pushed the iPhone 4S during its launch window which could have lead to the discrepancy.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Swanson View Post
    That was my initial feeling as well. It'll be interesting to see what the December quarter official numbers show which will hopefully include reseller data from multiple outlets. Although, I do have a feeling AT&T corporate stores most likely pushed the iPhone 4S during its launch window which could have lead to the discrepancy.
    funny I was just about to write a sarcastic reply about at&t all being apple fanboys,...

iPhone? More like MyPhone Go Gators's Avatar
    Thanks

These numbers aren't even close to accurate. Android is activating 700,000 devices a DAY and only 8% of AT&T's sales were Android? Yeah right! This is a bs article just to try and make Apple look better since they're getting destroyed by Android in the real world.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Gators View Post
    These numbers aren't even close to accurate. Android is activating 700,000 devices a DAY and only 8% of AT&T's sales were Android? Yeah right! This is a bs article just to try and make Apple look better since they're getting destroyed by Android in the real world.
    Calm down droid fan
    BUT i see what you mean it does appear to be off

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Go Gators View Post
    Please keep in mind that 700k/day is the "publicly stated" global activation rate, while these are "numbers from an inside, unnamed source."

Frankly, both could be utterly untrue fluff.

That being said, however; I agree with your general sentiment that these numbers do NOT pass the red-face test. If Android's market share is as expansive as it is purported to be in the United States, then I'd anticipate the second-largest US carrier and their primary retail outlet would be selling at least a double-digit percentage of Android phones.

Now if Verizon's numbers came out the same general way (or even a ratio of 1:1 Android/Apple phones) I'd really be suspicious.

Thanks

Those A-hole slow down my data.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Android 700K a day is world wide and new activations (new accounts). How many of those iPhone sales were new accounts? How many were upgrades? That makes a big difference.

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    Android 700K a day is world wide and new activations (new accounts). How many of those iPhone sales were new accounts? How many were upgrades? That makes a big difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
    Yeah cause what kind of an idiot is gunna ask for an Android
    It only makes since to get a sucky phone(droid) if your used to them or want a bigger screen