+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Verizon Cancels Plans to Institute $2 Fee for Credit/Debit Bill Pay After One Day

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Verizon Cancels Plans to Institute $2 Fee for Credit/Debit Bill Pay After One Day

Earlier this week Verizon announced they would be instituting a $2 “convenience fee” for customers paying their monthly bills with credit or debit cards via the Internet or telephone.

The backlash was immediate and fierce. How nice of Verizon to allow consumers the convenience of paying online. Verizon listened, and announced today they are dropping plans to institute the fee.

To Verizon's credit they did outline seven different payment options consumers could use that would forgo the $2 charge like auto-pay programs, paying via check, and gift cards at local Verizon stores. According to Verizon the charge was proposed to offset the fees credit card companies demand when processing the orders. Perhaps the backlash highlights the high number of customers paying their bills on a month to month basis. Perhaps it's testament to the current economic climate?

More than likely though, it's a testament to a fed up customer base. Consumers are sick of being pushed around by the companies the need. A number of companies this year have attempted to institute fees and raise prices, and the response has been increasingly hostile. Bank of America attempted to institute a $5-a-month checking fee, they were humiliated. Netflix raised prices, while necessary, they completely botched explaining and justifying it to their customer base and what ensued turned into a case study of what not to do when managing a crisis. Consumers are fed up. Many corporations and business owner still don’t get it. Many will never get it.

But, if there is one thing to learn from the backlash against Verizon’s attempt to charge customers a convenience fee for paying bills via the internet it’s this: we consumers still matter.

Source: The Huffington Post

iPhone? More like MyPhone shigh's Avatar
    Thanks

Word.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,122 Times in 2,709 Posts

It didn't hurt any that the FCC expressed interest in investigating the practice. I figured they'd back down. I'm a business man and I process credit card payments. The fee I am billed is the cost of doing business, operations. Charging the customer is perfectly legal, just looked upon as bad manners. Anyways...
    @Metaserph
    "You can only attain Peace through spreading Love to create Unity and earn the Respect of others" - Complex Simplicity

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Noooooo!

People keep using direct banking tools or writing checks please. Keeps me in a job.

Thanks

Good Times!!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

That's ok, Verizon will find another sneaky way of charging people this fee. Thankfully I have AT&T.

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    That's ok, Verizon will find another sneaky way of charging people this fee. Thankfully I have AT&T.
    Like Verizon and AT&T don't have enough freakin money already

Thanks

I hope so, companies have taken advantage of the consumer for far too long.

iPhone? More like MyPhone sTrAnGe mOdS's Avatar
    Thanks

And AT&T isn't the same? Hah. They randomly charged me for internet usage and I had to call the support line 4 times to get it resolved because their represenatives are complete ***holes. Why I switched from their crappy service.

8GB iPod Touch 1G: 1.1.1 > 1.1.2 > 1.2 > 2.0 > 2.0.1 > 2.1 > 2.2 > 2.2.1 > 3.0 > 3.0.1 GM RedSn0wed
    16GB iPhone 3G > Sold $375 > iPhone 4: 4.2.8 > 5.0
    32GB iPad: 3.2 > 3.2.1 > Traded For MacBook > Traded + $500 For MacBook Pro

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    According to Verizon the charge was proposed to offset the fees credit card companies demand when processing the orders
    Ugh...quotes like these piss me off to no end. In this CENTURY, rising credit card processing fees (like fuel and material costs) are called a "cost of doing business." I own a restaurant and am constantly faced with invoices from greedy vendors charging extra for an "energy surcharge" or some "service fee" that amounts to the same as what Verizon was trying. When will companies learn to put all of their expenses into the price of the product instead of nickle and diming people?

BTW, the standard credit card processing fee for small business for anything but Amex is 0.5% (which is likely higher than what a major company like VZW pays) which on a $100 iPhone bill comes out to a whopping 50 cents so this is not just Verizon getting their money back - they were actually trying ti profit off of this scheme.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,754 Times in 891 Posts

They have cancelled the $2 fee but in other news prices have risen by $2 in a completely unrelated manner.

:/

Thanks

I think this is what it cost to Verizon if you pay your bill online
    $2

Kinda unfair they want to charge this fee to the user!!

MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DJStile View Post
    Ugh...quotes like these piss me off to no end. In this CENTURY, rising credit card processing fees (like fuel and material costs) are called a "cost of doing business." I own a restaurant and am constantly faced with invoices from greedy vendors charging extra for an "energy surcharge" or some "service fee" that amounts to the same as what Verizon was trying. When will companies learn to put all of their expenses into the price of the product instead of nickle and diming people?

BTW, the standard credit card processing fee for small business for anything but Amex is 0.5% (which is likely higher than what a major company like VZW pays) which on a $100 iPhone bill comes out to a whopping 50 cents so this is not just Verizon getting their money back - they were actually trying ti profit off of this scheme.
    It really is unfortunate the hidden cost of doing business. Everything has become so convoluted and confusing its amazing anyone can afford to do anything.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The New Jersey DMV (known as the MVC) imposes a similar fee when renewing your car registration online.

If you pay them via credit card on their website they impose a convenience fee of a few dollars.

If you write out a check and mail it to them, you pay face value for your registration renewal fee.

FCC, please look into the NJ MVC's practices too, k? thanks.

From State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission

Quote:
    Order Personalized Plates (Note: A Credit card convenience fee will be applied in order to process each online transaction.)
    Order Sports Plates (Note: A Credit card convenience fee will be applied in order to process each online transaction.)
    Order Dedicated Plates (Note: A Credit card convenience fee will be applied in order to process each online transaction.)
    Renew Vehicle Registration (Note: A Credit card convenience fee will be applied in order to process each online transaction.)

iPhone? More like MyPhone dykzebr's Avatar
    Thanks

Lol, first time I have ever heard anyone say thankfully referring to AT&T, that company is terrible!
    Extremly Happy Verizon iPhone User...

iPhone 4 32gb CDMA JailBROKE!

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dykzebr View Post
    Lol, first time I have ever heard anyone say thankfully referring to AT&T, that company is terrible!
    To each their own......

iPhone? More like MyPhone dykzebr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vantheman169 View Post
    To each their own......
    Right because the reviews and surveys of each carrier, and service reliability don't reflect the views of consumers fairly, and equally. I know personally, I could piss better than AT&T can reliably and cost efficiently provide cellular phone service. There is a reason for increased personal consumer and business consumer reviews that reflect their poor business practices, although as stated above, it seems like all companies are following suit.
    Extremly Happy Verizon iPhone User...

iPhone 4 32gb CDMA JailBROKE!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Since cash is harder and more risky to manage, you would think that the convenience fees would apply to cash instead of credit cards. Obviously, since using a credit card online is more convenient, more people will want to use that method, therefore they levy the fee against those people in an effort to capitalize on them.

iPhone? More like MyPhone MYPHONEI's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sTrAnGe mOdS View Post
    And AT&T isn't the same? Hah. They randomly charged me for internet usage and I had to call the support line 4 times to get it resolved because their represenatives are complete ***holes. Why I switched from their crappy service.
    Did you try to use a smartphone and not pay for internet?

People trying to do this PO me because all carriers now require an internet plan with a smartphone
    Times change and policies service change, you want a smartphone you have to accept the service plans.