+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Review] Make Reminders to Yourself Based On A Map

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default [Review] Make Reminders to Yourself Based On A Map

This is quite possibly the first and best tweak to enhance the iOS 5 Reminders application.

iOS 5 shipped with a new application on our SpringBoards known as Reminders. Do you remember what Reminders does? Reminders is a new app that functions a lot like notes does. The only thing that is distinctive between Notes and reminders is that while in Notes you can jot things down, Reminders will go beyond that and furthermore send you a notification constructed on what you jot down. For instance, if you want to remind yourself in twenty minutes to take out the trash, then you can input that data into the Reminders app and it will present a push notification in twenty minutes telling you to take out the trash. Reminders works for setting daily reminders too. You can assist in reminding your kids to brush their teeth every night. Moreover, Reminders has a calendar view that lets you set Reminders throughout the entire month. This way you can plan out your doctor’s appointments and prioritize your life.

Reminders not only allows you to set notifications based on time but also based on location. You can use location services to tell Reminders to remind you to get dinner after departure from work. Now when you get into your car, Reminders will detect that you are no longer within GPS location of your workplace and it will inform you to drive to the local burger joint to grab some quick dinner for your family. Location services can be disabled – so there is no worry that Apple will be scrutinizing you. This is a very convenient feature that could replace using Notes to remind you of things. Notes doesn’t even remind you of anything, it’s so stone age!

While Reminders is a great way to remind yourself of stuff, iOS developer joedj thought he could do something to make it better - and I am completely in agreement with his new jailbreak tweak which has been dubbed MapReminders. What does it do? MapReminders lets you set a reminder to yourself using location; I know what you're going to say... Reminders lets you do that already. Well... sort of, but not in a very pleasant way. Normally to set a location-based reminder, you have to manually punch in the location which is cumbersome and annoying work. Now, with MapRminders, you can simply use a Map GUI (Graphical User Interface) to find a location that you want to be reminded at, and set a pin there. Now, when you leave that location, you'll be reminded, and you never even needed to type out any annoying or addresses or locations.

MapReminders adds a while new section to the Reminders application that integrates a Google Map into it. To set a reminder using a map instead of punching in addresses. Simply make a reminder like I've done below:

Next, turn on the, "At a Location" switch so that you can enable location services for this particular reminder to remind you about something when you leave a designated location:

Now, you'll be able to see a Google Map like the first one in this review and you'll be able to drag the pin anywhere that you want to be reminded about something. If you drag the pin to Apple's HQ in Cupertino, CA, then you will get your reminder when you're near or leave Apple's HQ in Cupertino, CA. It's that simple. You will never need to punch in any manual address information on a location-based reminder ever again!

One thing to note is that this tweak only works on iOS 5 devices because it requires the iOS 5 Reminders application. Another thing is that you need to be on a GPS-compatible device that supports location reminders, so you need to be on an iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S. This tweak doesn't add any new icons to your home screen and there are no settings to configure in the Settings application. The only thing that you'll see different is the new map option in the Reminders application itself. I think that this is an awesome jailbreak tweak and it's obvious that the developer put a lot of time into it. I recommend it, and it does everything it claims to do perfectly. I honestly love it.

Name: MapReminders
    Price: 99
    Version: 1.0-1
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: joedj
    Editor's Rating:  5/5

What do you think about MapReminders? Share in the comments.

Sources: Cydia, joedj
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 12-30-2011 at 01:18 PM.

Thanks

This is very useful! I think Siri is able to do this but I'm not sure I'm gonna try it tomorrow, I don't really use Siri a lot

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    why location based reminders can't work on 3gs ? this is lame by apple. and still no cydia tweak to enable this on 3gs.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jobran View Post
    why location based reminders can't work on 3gs ? this is lame by apple. and still no cydia tweak to enable this on 3gs.
    I looked into enabling this on the 3GS and iPad1, but didn't have much luck. As far as I can tell, these devices do not support 'Region Monitoring', which is how these location reminders work.

It's hard to find good information about it, but from what I could find the 3GS does not seem to have the hardware that enables region monitoring to work efficiently (i.e. without draining the battery too fast).

I'm not sure whether region monitoring is supported on the iPad2 or not. Location reminders seem to be disabled on the iPad2, but I'll have a poke around once there's a jailbreak available...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joedj View Post
    I looked into enabling this on the 3GS and iPad1, but didn't have much luck. As far as I can tell, these devices do not support 'Region Monitoring', which is how these location reminders work.

It's hard to find good information about it, but from what I could find the 3GS does not seem to have the hardware that enables region monitoring to work efficiently (i.e. without draining the battery too fast).

I'm not sure whether region monitoring is supported on the iPad2 or not. Location reminders seem to be disabled on the iPad2, but I'll have a poke around once there's a jailbreak available...
    thanks alot for your reply! good to know. it's about time to replace my 3gs.. but i don't like the 4s..

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by duromega View Post
    This is very useful! I think Siri is able to do this but I'm not sure I'm gonna try it tomorrow, I don't really use Siri a lot
    Unfortunately, Siri isn't able to do this unless the location is already a saved address in you address book. It can't work with random locations or addresses, which really bums me out. This tweak looks awesome. Now I just need a 4S jailbreak to go along with it!

iPhone? More like MyPhone McMichael96's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stevelucky View Post
    Unfortunately, Siri isn't able to do this unless the location is already a saved address in you address book. It can't work with random locations or addresses, which really bums me out. This tweak looks awesome. Now I just need a 4S jailbreak to go along with it!
    well if you are going to skip the iPhone 4s how about you give me your upgrade =D
    I like apple stuff.
    If you see the username "McMichael96" anywhere, it's probably me.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,118 Times in 2,707 Posts

Actually, Siri DOES that. If you have enabled location services and Siri is enabled in it. I use it like that. Fyi...
    @Metaserph
    "You can only attain Peace through spreading Love to create Unity and earn the Respect of others" - Complex Simplicity

My iPhone is a Part of Me jonkjon's Avatar
    Thanks

hmmmm....bought this and the location option isn't appearing. I do have the location services on in my settings and i am on an iphone4 ios 5.0.1 untethered.

Figured it out... i had Reminders configured for an exchange account. That won't work. Had to configure it to work with iCloud...
    Last edited by jonkjon; 12-30-2011 at 07:07 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Anyway we can get the option to have a map in standard mode instead of satellite? The ability to switch would be awesome, but in the interest of ease of viewing and bandwidth, standard seems like the better option.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by metaserph View Post
    Actually, Siri DOES that. If you have enabled location services and Siri is enabled in it. I use it like that. Fyi...
    Can you give me an example? Because I haven't been able to make it work. Sure I can have it remind me to do something when I leave my house or get to a friends house or any address that's in my address book. But I was at Staples (the address isn't in my address book) and I told Siri "Remind me to get batteries the next time I'm here." and it couldn't help me. I tried to simplify and said "remind me to call my wife when I leave here" and it still couldn't do it. As long as the address wasn't in my address book, it wouldn't do it. How do you?