+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: vWallpaper 2 Updated for iOS 5: Make A Video Your Wallpaper

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Remember this OLD tweak? vWallpaper is one of the older tweaks that was developed in the beginning of jailbreaking that allows you to set a video for a wallpaper in
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default vWallpaper 2 Updated for iOS 5: Make A Video Your Wallpaper

Remember this OLD tweak?

vWallpaper is one of the older tweaks that was developed in the beginning of jailbreaking that allows you to set a video for a wallpaper in iOS. As we all know, Apple only allows you to keep a static image wallpaper and it wasn't introduced until iOS 4. We relied on WinterBoard just to do that. Today, vWallpaper 2 was released that supports iOS 5 and it works perfectly with the new untethered jailbreak for iOS 5.0.1. It works the same way and looks the same way as the previous version of vWallpaper. Be warned that this particular version is still in Beta.

vWallpaper comes with a small library of options and wallpaper settings that allow you to download more video wallpapers from other sources - but it comes with one default one which is a lightning-like one that moves in a fashion that you would expect electricity to move in. That video is in the screenshot above (which unfortunately doesn't move). It looks pretty nice and to be honest, the moving video behind the application icons seems refreshingly awesome. The only thing you will have to worry about is the considerable battery drain from the processor playing the video.

The videos are either small video files for '.gif' images (images capable of being animated and moving around) and they loop over and over and over and over. Actually, it won't even stop until you kill the video wallpaper option in the vWallpaper settings. Installing vWallpaper 2 puts an icon on your home screen where you can edit the settings for it. It does have a couple of dependencies that you will need to install with it - but they will download automatically when you go to download this 31.3MB application. If you want to download the newest version of vWallpaper 2 (it's free) then you can download it from the following repository source:

PHP Code:
    http://deb.danstaface.net 
    Just add the source in Cydia and tap on it and you'll find everything you need to install vWallpaper 2 and you'll be able to set a video for your wallpaper in no time. This is obviously a feature of Android phones that Android fans will gloat about - but now you can do it right back and show them the numerous other glorious features of jailbroken iOS. I think vWallpaper is cool and I recommend it to anyone that wants to show off their device's capabilities. Again, if you're worried about battery life, then stay away from it. vWallpaper renders that fastest on newer devices. Slower devices may and probably will encounter lagginess.

This application is a classic - but I sure think the application could do with a cosmetic overhaul. I still recommend it though; it's one of my all-time favorites.

Name: vWallpaper 2 for iOS5/ARM7
    Price: FREE
    Repo: http://deb.danstaface.net
    Developer: skrew
    Version: 0.0.8-1
    Editor's Rating:  4/5

Have you ever used vWallpaper? What did you think about it? Share in the comments.

Sources: skrew
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 12-30-2011 at 01:21 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Airwaves182's Avatar
    Thanks

This might be off topic but I got a sprint iPhone 4 & when I jailbreaked my iPhone 4 I wanted to put a carrier theme on it but it doesn't work. I have an iPad for AT&T and the carrier theme works fine on that. Do carrier themes not work on sprint iPhones? Or just AT&T? Sorry if this is a dumb question

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves182 View Post
    This might be off topic but I got a sprint iPhone 4 & when I jailbreaked my iPhone 4 I wanted to put a carrier theme on it but it doesn't work. I have an iPad for AT&T and the carrier theme works fine on that. Do carrier themes not work on sprint iPhones? Or just AT&T? Sorry if this is a dumb question
    hahaha yes it should work on sprint iPhones too, you maybe using a incompatible version for your iPhone

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

how is it on the battery? does it "know" to stop when the phone is locked?

Green Apple
    Thanks

My God!!! more and more copies from android devices issues this old on android devices since in the beggining....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,752 Times in 890 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jrrtps View Post
    My God!!! more and more copies from android devices issues this old on android devices since in the beggining....
    Note - this is vwallpaper 2.

vWallpaper has been around ages too. I personally wouldn't recommend it, as its a battery hog. Just like on android.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jrrtps View Post
    If your going to troll at least make sense..

Thanks

Works great! Magic fingers is a really cool tweak in the app! Nice job @skrew

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KraXik View Post
    Note - this is vwallpaper 2.

vWallpaper has been around ages too. I personally wouldn't recommend it, as its a battery hog. Just like on android.
    Exactly, eloquently put

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Not Working
    After install I get a black background and vwallpaper is no where to be found on the phone. Sucks because I had it with IOS 4 and actually liked it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

This was one of my favorite tweaks back in the 3.x days. It really didnt do to bad on the battery for my 3G although it was kind of sluggish at times. I will be downloading this ASAP thanks for the heads up.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Amc_wi69 View Post
    After install I get a black background and vwallpaper is no where to be found on the phone. Sucks because I had it with IOS 4 and actually liked it.
    press on the app icon then go to the second button - there select video and select/download wallpapers

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by -=viper=- View Post
    press on the app icon then go to the second button - there select video and select/download wallpapers

There is no app icon, nothing in settings, winterboard, or anywhere else on my phone. Maybe my theme is causing the issue (carb x pro)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

[QUOTE=Amc_wi69;6350028]There is no app icon, nothing in settings, winterboard, or anywhere else on my phone. Maybe my theme is causing the issue (carb x pro)[/QUOTE

I removed the tweak, and the repo. Then I added the repo back on, refreshed cydia again and removed my theme. After that I installed vwallpaper again and the icon showed up. Went into the app and loaded a video....it works! Guessing some themes and vwallpapaer dont like eachother

Thanks

It just seems like the video wallpaper is out dated

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I'll only use it when I KNOW I have a charger near by. I don't want my battery running out so quickly and then not being able to use my iPhone....

Thanks

This is actually one of the coolest tweaks I've seen on Cydia. Wow. I have a 3GS and in all honesty-it doesn't hog any battery life. Can't believe it's free either.

Thanks dev and MMI!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Works great. Except when the lock screen video is enabled my alarm doesn't seem to work/muted.

Thanks

does anyone have a problem with vWallpaper closing out (autolock) your iPhone while watching videos? i have my autolock set to 1min but i guess it is bypassed when watching videos. vWallpaper causes my phone to lock when on youtube or netflix. I know its in beta but i was just wondering if anyone else had this problem.

I think it also causes youtube and netflix to load super slow.

Thanks

Where can I download vringtones? And if I make them why are they not full screen?