+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Winter Wake-up Automatically Adjusts Your Alarm According to the Weather

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
For the northernmost folk, winter sucks. Cold, wet, dull, blindingly bright, slippery, and the adjectives could go on forever. But, nothing is worse in the winter than getting up and
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Winter Wake-up Automatically Adjusts Your Alarm According to the Weather

For the northernmost folk, winter sucks. Cold, wet, dull, blindingly bright, slippery, and the adjectives could go on forever. But, nothing is worse in the winter than getting up and being late to wherever you have to be because you had to de-ice or dig your car out of a snow drift and didn’t set your alarm accordingly.

Winter Wake-up hopes to help those lacking in foresight to plan for Mother Nature’s “gifts” while they sleep. The app automatically checks the weather and will wake you up earlier if either frost or snow is in the forecast. Unfortunately the app only checks the National Weather Service for updates and won’t turn your alarm off altogether if your school is canceled (professionals, you get to trudge to work regardless of weather). However, there is an option to turn the alarm off altogether if the weather is bad enough to warrant use of snow shoes and cross-country skis as the only means of travel (even then you might still have to work).

This equates to a very useful application even without the school closure or work closure notification features. That is if the app worked. As of now the application is unable to connect to the National Weather Service and get the necessary information to adjust your alarm.

While Winter Wake-up is a practical app that could definitely help those is colder climates, its inability to work means I can’t recommend it at this time. Hopefully a quick fix is on the way. I want my smartphone to finally to something smart for once, I’m sick of telling it what to do all the time.

Source: TUAW

iPhone? More like MyPhone Hillefied's Avatar
    Thanks

I like how people rate a new app with 1 star because the app doesn't work right out the gate. I can't blame them, though, seeing as how the app dev folks released a broken app. Fail! Lol. I digress.

This could be a truly handy app for northerners, but I'm a Texan and rarely have bad cold weather.

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hillefied View Post
    I like how people rate a new app with 1 star because the app doesn't work right out the gate. I can't blame them, though, seeing as how the app dev folks released a broken app. Fail! Lol. I digress.

This could be a truly handy app for northerners, but I'm a Texan and rarely have bad cold weather.
    well seeing as the app is free i still think its worth it to download, never know when they will get that part of it fixed. i went ahead and downloaded it

iPhone? More like MyPhone Hillefied's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolverinemarky View Post
    well seeing as the app is free i still think its worth it to download, never know when they will get that part of it fixed. i went ahead and downloaded it
    I thought that was funny, too. How people complained that this free app was such a burden to society. Big economic meltdown because something free isn't working yet.

When they do get it up and running, come back and let us know more about it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Raybeast's Avatar
    Thanks

Genius app i love it living in a colder climate.

Thanks

I dont think i would need this this season since it december in chicago and theres no snow!!!

MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pancho paco View Post
    I dont think i would need this this season since it december in chicago and theres no snow!!!
    I'm across the lake in Michigan and the lack of snow so far is almost frightening if not awesome....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pancho paco View Post
    If you think they won't be snow this winter.................. Good luck with that

iPhone? More like MyPhone djdraco's Avatar
    Thanks

Dude that is great. So many times I've been late because I had to break out the scraper or shovel. Never more!
    "Time circuits on...flux capacitor...(gulp)...fluxing"
    Please read again I only give one warning - thanks!

Thanks

The idea is great but it does not work!! So really should you review a app that does not work??