+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad and iPhone Accounted for 13.4% of All Online Purchases This Christmas

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
The iPad and iPhone are apparently very popular... but we knew that! This Christmas alone, Apple's iPad tablet and iPhone smartphone were used for a total of about thirteen and
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iPad and iPhone Accounted for 13.4% of All Online Purchases This Christmas

The iPad and iPhone are apparently very popular... but we knew that!

This Christmas alone, Apple's iPad tablet and iPhone smartphone were used for a total of about thirteen and a half percent of the world's online purchases this Christmas - meaning that numerous iPad and iPhone owners used their Apple devices to do Christmas shopping. The exact figure is 13.4%; it divides into 7% of which were iPad users and 6.4% of which were iPhone users. Taking into consideration of just how much that is, we will do some number crunching.

At first, thirteen percent doesn't seem like a whole lot. But, considering that almost every home in the United States has between one and three computers and one and three smartphones, the numbers really do add up. In just the United States alone, the 2010 census told us that the United States has 308,745,538 residents. According to a study by Seagate, about 76% of these people own a personal computer. That's about 235,000,000 people. If we take that number and use the 13.4% figure with it, that means that roughly around 31-32 million Americans used an Apple iPhone or Apple iPad to order Christmas presents online this year (numbers not exact).

If 31-32 million Americans used an Apple iPhone or Apple iPad to order Christmas presents this year, it makes you think what the global figure was - after all the United States is only a fraction of the world's population that buys Apple's iPads and iPhones. In case you were wondering, Android devices only accounted for about five percent of Christmas purchases which is surprising because of the variety of cheap Android devices on the market. CNET reports that online sales grew 16.4 percent over last year's figures. The figures come from a benchmark done by IBM.

Obviously, a ton of Americans own Apple iPhones, iPads, and iPod touches; we see them almost everywhere. So the numbers aren't exactly surprising, are they? Personally, I didn't buy anything online; I know that my family bought a ton of things online but it was done from their PC's not from their iPhones - we won't even own any iPads. So I'm not included in those figures. But if you bought anything for Christmas on an iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch then let us know in the comments and we will see for ourselves if these numbers add up.

Sources: CNET

Thanks

Everything I buy on eBay , newegg or amazon I do it through my iPhone, this Christmas I just purchased (1) present online.

Green Apple
    Thanks

The title makes it sound like 13% of online holiday gift purchases WERE iPads and iPhones.

iPhone? More like MyPhone MYPHONEI's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by royalnewjersey View Post
    The title makes it sound like 13% of online holiday gift purchases WERE iPads and iPhones.
    Me too, change title to "Ipad and Iphones Used to purchase 13% of online shopping"