+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Review] Hide the 'X' That Shows When You Enter Jiggle Mode

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Above is a screenshot of jiggle mode. Notice that there aren't any 'X' buttons to uninstall anything. Jiggle mode is a common way of referring to when you hold down
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default [Review] Hide the 'X' That Shows When You Enter Jiggle Mode

Above is a screenshot of jiggle mode. Notice that there aren't any 'X' buttons to uninstall anything.

Jiggle mode is a common way of referring to when you hold down on an application and your entire SpringBoard starts to jiggle. In this mode, you have the ability to move applications around, make folders, remove folders, or uninstall applications. With a tweak called CyDelete, you can even uninstall Cydia applications this very same way. Jiggle mode is not only an important part of iOS, but it's also a very vulnerable part of iOS. If someone gets control of your iDevice, they can pretty much delete or move around anything that they want to.

Today, a tweak has been released into Cydia that has been dubbed No Uninstall by its developer Manvir Singh. The purpose of the tweak is to make the 'X' buttons that appear on your SpringBoard applications once you enter jiggle mode, disappear. This can be a good idea for one of two reasons. Reason one, you want to add security to your iDevice so that no one can delete applications from your SpringBoard - by hiding the 'X' buttons, applications cannot be deleted until this tweak is uninstalled via Cydia. Reason two, you want to prank a friend - you can install this tweak on a friend's iDevice and they will be unable to uninstall their own applications; this could be funny if you prank them further by installing an embarrassing application on their SpringBoard from the App Store.

One thing to note is that this tweak overrides CyDelete. If you have CyDelete installed on your iDevice (for uninstalling jailbreak applications the same way as App Store applications) you will be unable to remove them using CyDelete because No Uninstall hides the 'X' button for jailbreak applications too. You will be unable to uninstall any applications from the App Store until you uninstall No Uninstall, but you can uninstall Cydia applications through Cydia even with this tweak installed.

No Uninstall is free in Cydia and is compatible with any iOS version 4.0 or higher. It doesn't add any icons to your home screen and there are no settings to configure in your Settings application. The tweak is initialized when you install it and can only be decommissioned when you uninstall it. It does what it says very well - so it gets a good rating from me and I personally like the idea but I would like to see a setting to toggle it on and off via Activator so that I can uninstall an application when I need to but re-enable it when I want to use it again.

Name: No Uninstall
    Price: FREE
    Repo: BigBoss
    Version: 1.0
    Developer: Manvir Singh
    Editor's Rating:  4/5

What do you think about No Uninstall? Share in the comments.

Sources: Cydia, Manvir Singh
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 12-24-2011 at 01:50 PM.

Thanks

You can still uninstall apps from the usage section in iOS 5

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

You don't need this tweak to do this. Go to: Settings- General - Restrictions - create 4 digit password - Enable Restrictions and switch toggle to "off" on the Deleting Apps section under "Allow" . Not hard at all and this tweak is a waste.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

honestly if i see you write about another useless app that was just released i will shoot my self!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    honestly if i see you write about another useless app that was just released i will shoot my self!!
    How is it useless if you can use it to prank your friends and get a laugh?

Green Apple
    Thanks

But every single tiny little tweak that does next to nothing isn't worth writing an article about. This is a news site about Apple's new releases, jailbreaking, tutorials, and MAJOR app releases, not an archive with pages and pages of cydia tweaks I can check out in the recent section and cydia or simply google the functionality to find.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SC10E View Post
    But every single tiny little tweak that does next to nothing isn't worth writing an article about. This is a news site about Apple's new releases, jailbreaking, tutorials, and MAJOR app releases, not an archive with pages and pages of cydia tweaks I can check out in the recent section and cydia or simply google the functionality to find.
    To each their own. I disagree that it isn't worth writing about.

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

He should give this an on/off toggle via activator.

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I agree totally, maybe even in sb

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by avelazquez1 View Post
    You don't need this tweak to do this. Go to: Settings- General - Restrictions - create 4 digit password - Enable Restrictions and switch toggle to "off" on the Deleting Apps section under "Allow" . Not hard at all and this tweak is a waste.
    Brilliant! Amazingly I never even looked in the restricted section before. It's been a constant threat to my iPhone that my daughter and others not used to touch screens could accidentally delete apps but thanks to this reply I have disabled this possibility from within the stock iOS. So I also now ask; what is the point of this cydia tweak? Thanks so much avelazquez

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by avelazquez1 View Post
    Hahahahaha oh wow, maybe the developer should have looked in to that before making a tweak....

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way