Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Gene Munster: Major iPhone Redesign Finally Coming in 2012

  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Posts
    3,852
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

    Default Gene Munster: Major iPhone Redesign Finally Coming in 2012


    For the first nine months of 2011, the tech rumor mill churned out one report after the next about the forthcoming "resigned" iPhone 5. Although, in retrospect, it appears that the rumor mill got that one wrong, prominent Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster says the prediction may have been early, but it definitely wasn't wrong.

    Last October, the world was introduced to the iPhone 4S - not the iPhone 5. The next generation iPhone (which will probably be named "iPhone 5") will see the long-awaited redesign, which could be drastic based on Munster's estimates. The tech watcher says Apple's total lack of any major hardware redesign in 2011 bodes well for something new and potentially groundbreaking in 2012.

    Coinciding with his prediction about the iPhone 5 redesign, Munster believes sales for the iPhone 5 will be astonishing. "We expect buzz around a redesigned iPhone 5 to escalate in early CY12 until Apple launches it midway through the year," Munster told investors Wednesday. "The iPhone 5, along with deeper penetration of cheaper iPhone models in more price sensitive markets, should drive higher-than-expected iPhone growth into CY13. Our bull case scenario reflects CY13 iPhone revenue growth of 35% vs. base case growth of 18%."

    Looking ahead to 2012, Munster has a fairly simple set of predictions for the devices that will dominate the Apple product family over the next twelve months: the iPhone 5, iPad 3 and - you guessed it - the presently mythical but widely anticipated connected HD Apple television.

    Source: Barron's

  2. #2
    I was told today by a reputable source that Apple is in the process of buying out RIM the Canadian Blackberry giant!!!
    This is good news for all of us apple lovers!!

  3. #3
    Why would it not be called the iPhone 4G since it truly won't be the iPhone 5 but sixth.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by sdubb112 View Post
    I was told today by a reputable source that Apple is in the process of buying out RIM the Canadian Blackberry giant!!!
    This is good news for all of us apple lovers!!
    lol ^

    Quote Originally Posted by eightyk88 View Post
    Why would it not be called the iPhone 4G since it truly won't be the iPhone 5 but sixth.
    there was iphone 3g, then 3gs, then 4, then 4s, so why not continue the trend with 5?

  5. #5
    Please do not start another argument about what the next iPhone will be called. It's ******* infuriating.

  6. #6
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Go Gators's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Orlando, Fl
    Posts
    243
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 41 Times in 31 Posts

    there was iphone 3g, then 3gs, then 4, then 4s, so why not continue the trend with 5?[/QUOTE]

    The iPhone 4 was called that because it was the actual 4th iPhone released. Why call it the iPhone 5 when it is not the 5th iPhone released? Doesn't make sense.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleJob View Post
    lol ^



    there was iphone 3g, then 3gs, then 4, then 4s, so why not continue the trend with 5?

    Simply because it will not be the fifth iPhone. The iPhone 2g is the first iPhone not the second iPhone. The iPhone 3G is the second iPhone. The iPhone 4s is the fifth iPhone.

  8. #8
    Why don't we let apple handle the naming issue?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleJob View Post
    lol ^



    there was iphone 3g, then 3gs, then 4, then 4s, so why not continue the trend with 5?
    i feel sorry for all thoes folks that upgraded to the4s and now will be locked into a 2yr contract when the new design comes out.

    enough teasing apple just release the i phone 5 and i do feel sorry for thoes that are locked into a 2yr contract with the 4s

  10. #10
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    720
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 19 Times in 17 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by eightyk88 View Post
    Why would it not be called the iPhone 4G since it truly won't be the iPhone 5 but sixth.
    Bc iphone 6, with iOS6, in combination with the 6th year of production would be the mark of the beast....ooops it's only been around for 5 years... never mind....

  11. #11
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Go Gators's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Orlando, Fl
    Posts
    243
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 41 Times in 31 Posts

    All the millions of people that just upgraded to the 4s and locked themselves in for another two years with an already outdated device sure will be PO'ed when a completely redesigned iPhone is released 8 months later.

  12. #12
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,023
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 78 Times in 63 Posts

    It is typical with their releases and is not rocket science. I would love to upgrade every year but there is no point to renew a contract and lock me in to have the S of a phone for 1 more year.

    The original iPhone was a market trial to see if it would take off.
    iPhone 3G was the next revamped one with the new cell radio and interface
    iPhone 3GS was a 3G but faster
    iPhone 4 was the revamped phone with new technology
    iPhone 4S was 4 but faster
    iPhone 5 will be a revamped with new technology
    iPhone 5S will be the faster 5

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Gators View Post
    All the millions of people that just upgraded to the 4s and locked themselves in for another two years with an already outdated device sure will be PO'ed when a completely redesigned iPhone is released 8 months later.
    "already outdated device" -- lol. Got an axe to grind?

    Didn't AT&T "move up" lots of upgrade eligibility dates when the 4 was released, for just this same reason (to accommodate those who upgraded their 3G models to the 3GS)?

  14. #14
    Default word.....
    Quote Originally Posted by carlbgc View Post
    Please do not start another argument about what the next iPhone will be called. It's ******* infuriating.
    You can call it whatever you want, as long it is re-designed and looks B@D @SS!!
    Enough Said

  15. #15
    Oh boy here we go again with the naming conventions.

    1. iPhone, released in 2007 (not iPhone 2G, there is no such thing as "2G". It was capable of EDGE cell data speeds).
    2. iPhone 3G, released in 2008. Redesigned body, better internals, radios, etc. and capable of 3G cell data speeds.
    3. iPhone 3GS, released in 2009. Same body as the 3G, but with more memory and faster CPU.
    4. iPhone 4, released in 2010. Redesigned body, more memory and faster CPU, but still only capable of 3G cell data speeds.
    5. iPhone 4S, released in 2011. Same body as the 4, faster CPU, different radios, and capable of faster cell data speeds (HSPA+ I think?)

    That's it. So far the iPhone 4 is the ONLY model to have its suffix coincide with the actual generation number.

    If I had to guess, the next iPhone would either be the 4G if it's capable of actual 4G speeds, or just iPhone 6. To call it the iPhone 5 doesn't make sense at all.

  16. #16
    Livin the iPhone Life KraXik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Winchester, UK
    Posts
    2,637
    Thanks
    2,685
    Thanked 1,757 Times in 894 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by sdubb112 View Post
    I was told today by a reputable source that Apple is in the process of buying out RIM the Canadian Blackberry giant!!!
    This is good news for all of us apple lovers!!
    Lolz.

    I heard they were buying the US debt and renaming USA to Appleville. Citizens of Appleville will now be called Appleites and will have to pray for the second coming of Steve Jobs for at least 6hours a day. Anyone found with anything remotely not stylish will be shot on site.

    Oh yeh, and I heard it from a reputable source. Oh and FACT.

  17. #17
    Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ventura, California, United States
    Posts
    594
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 27 Times in 26 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by boxxa View Post
    It is typical with their releases and is not rocket science. I would love to upgrade every year but there is no point to renew a contract and lock me in to have the S of a phone for 1 more year.

    The original iPhone was a market trial to see if it would take off.
    iPhone 3G was the next revamped one with the new cell radio and interface
    iPhone 3GS was a 3G but faster
    iPhone 4 was the revamped phone with new technology
    iPhone 4S was 4 but faster
    iPhone 5 will be a revamped with new technology
    iPhone 5S will be the faster 5
    How about iPhone 4GS ?
    Speed and 4G network

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
    Oh boy here we go again with the naming conventions.

    1. iPhone, released in 2007 (not iPhone 2G, there is no such thing as "2G". It was capable of EDGE cell data speeds).
    2. iPhone 3G, released in 2008. Redesigned body, better internals, radios, etc. and capable of 3G cell data speeds.
    3. iPhone 3GS, released in 2009. Same body as the 3G, but with more memory and faster CPU.
    4. iPhone 4, released in 2010. Redesigned body, more memory and faster CPU, but still only capable of 3G cell data speeds.
    5. iPhone 4S, released in 2011. Same body as the 4, faster CPU, different radios, and capable of faster cell data speeds (HSPA+ I think?)

    That's it. So far the iPhone 4 is the ONLY model to have its suffix coincide with the actual generation number.

    If I had to guess, the next iPhone would either be the 4G if it's capable of actual 4G speeds, or just iPhone 6. To call it the iPhone 5 doesn't make sense at all.
    Thank God you dont work in marketing.

  19. #19
    The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    2,127
    Thanks
    55
    Thanked 94 Times in 88 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by carlbgc View Post
    Thank God you dont work in marketing.
    What are you taking about? Why would they call it an iPhone 5 when it's the sixth generation? That doesn't make sense. I would say go with iPhone 4G.

    Also, didn't we hear that there would be a redesign in the 4S? Rumors...lol

    secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

  20. #20
    lol @ all the retards that had an iPhone 4 and then got a 4S. We all know that the S really stands for SUCKER. This is exactly why Crapple does stupid sh.it like this because they know all their little fanboys/fangirls will buy whatever crap they release, even if it is basically EXACTLY the same as last years product

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •