+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Gene Munster: Major iPhone Redesign Finally Coming in 2012

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 Oh boy here we go again with the naming conventions. 1. iPhone, released in 2007 (not iPhone 2G, there is no such thing as "2G". It
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
    Oh boy here we go again with the naming conventions.

1. iPhone, released in 2007 (not iPhone 2G, there is no such thing as "2G". It was capable of EDGE cell data speeds).
    2. iPhone 3G, released in 2008. Redesigned body, better internals, radios, etc. and capable of 3G cell data speeds.
    3. iPhone 3GS, released in 2009. Same body as the 3G, but with more memory and faster CPU.
    4. iPhone 4, released in 2010. Redesigned body, more memory and faster CPU, but still only capable of 3G cell data speeds.
    5. iPhone 4S, released in 2011. Same body as the 4, faster CPU, different radios, and capable of faster cell data speeds (HSPA+ I think?)

That's it. So far the iPhone 4 is the ONLY model to have its suffix coincide with the actual generation number.

If I had to guess, the next iPhone would either be the 4G if it's capable of actual 4G speeds, or just iPhone 6. To call it the iPhone 5 doesn't make sense at all.
    I've been trying to avoid the name game debate but I have to chime in this time.. I think calling it the iPhone 4G will cause a lot of confusion. Many already think the 4 is a 4G (and the 4s is a 4Gs) and some still refer to it as such.

Like someone said earlier, lets just leave the naming to apple

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

iPhone 4S is the 5th iPhone so the 6th iPhone should be iPhone 5.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJob View Post
    lol ^

there was iphone 3g, then 3gs, then 4, then 4s, so why not continue the trend with 5?
    Y wouldn't they call it the 4gs then because the 3G actually meant connectivity and the s was meant for speed
    -Mr. 318!!-

My iPhone is a Part of Me PoEtikly's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iKillYou View Post
    lol @ all the retards that had an iPhone 4 and then got a 4S. We all know that the S really stands for SUCKER. This is exactly why Crapple does stupid sh.it like this because they know all their little fanboys/fangirls will buy whatever crap they release, even if it is basically EXACTLY the same as last years product
    And you own how many idevices?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

You guys are idiots who keep saying ppl are locked into a two year contract and won't be able to upgrade. I bought a 3G with the two year contract price, I sold that for $325. I took that money bought my iPhone 4 and made $125. Sold my iPhone 4 for $380 and upgraded to 4s for only $20. Which is much better than opting for the ****** $200 "upgrade" they offer you. I'll do the same when the 5 comes out but I'm sure I'll end up with some profit this time.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i heard that ppl that switched from an iphone 4 to 4S now feel stupid for not waiting

lol @ all the retards that had an iPhone 4 and then got a 4S. We all know that the S really stands for SUCKER. This is exactly why Crapple does stupid sh.it like this because they know all their little fanboys/fangirls will buy whatever crap they release, even if it is basically EXACTLY the same as last years product
    +1

Thanks

Usually I read the comments for entertainment. This rename game is lame yo.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

The next two years will be sweet, Jobs was working on projects that'll be coming out for the next few years, so we know they'll be good!

Sounds like someone's jealous! Seriously though do you really care that much that you'd call ppl retards for purchasing a phone..? That's pretty pathetic...
    Last edited by steve-z17; 12-21-2011 at 03:16 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Mc-Lovin_341's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJob View Post
    lol ^

there was iphone 3g, then 3gs, then 4, then 4s, so why not continue the trend with 5?
    They was also the original iPhone 2G before the 3G

My iPhone is a Part of Me Madman604x's Avatar
    Thanks

sadly, its still just an iphone. bigger screen, better camera, faster. just like every year. nothing ground breaking. oh wait maybe if they add in removable storage then I'll bite. My iPhone 4 has been passed on to my Wife. I have a Galaxy S2 now.

Apple has lost its magic to me.

I hope they can prove me wrong.
    60% of the time, it works every time.

Thanks

Anyone that's got half the smarts needed to survive in this world should be able to figure out a way to upgrade every year... But more Importaintly do so while making a little money doing it... I have owned every model iPhone since the day I waited in line to get the first... And never had a problem selling and getting the latest release...
    please check out my theme and give me feedback!! id like to finish this up and make more for anyone interested!!
    I NEED FEEDBACK!!!
    CHECK OUT MY THEME
    CHECK OUT MY CUSTOM COLOR KEYBOARD THEME w/POPUPS HERE!

iPhone? More like MyPhone spooneditr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by templeman15 View Post
    You guys are idiots who keep saying ppl are locked into a two year contract and won't be able to upgrade. I bought a 3G with the two year contract price, I sold that for $325. I took that money bought my iPhone 4 and made $125. Sold my iPhone 4 for $380 and upgraded to 4s for only $20. Which is much better than opting for the ****** $200 "upgrade" they offer you. I'll do the same when the 5 comes out but I'm sure I'll end up with some profit this time.
    I totally agree with but I'm actually up by 100 bucks for selling my 3GS. Waiting for the jailbreak for my iPhone 4 and then it's going up on eBay.

Your mom has "spirit" but I used my "pwnage tool" on her all night long and "ultrasn0wed" all over her. haha

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
    Oh boy here we go again with the naming conventions.

1. iPhone, released in 2007 (not iPhone 2G, there is no such thing as "2G". It was capable of EDGE cell data speeds).
    2. iPhone 3G, released in 2008. Redesigned body, better internals, radios, etc. and capable of 3G cell data speeds.
    3. iPhone 3GS, released in 2009. Same body as the 3G, but with more memory and faster CPU.
    4. iPhone 4, released in 2010. Redesigned body, more memory and faster CPU, but still only capable of 3G cell data speeds.
    5. iPhone 4S, released in 2011. Same body as the 4, faster CPU, different radios, and capable of faster cell data speeds (HSPA+ I think?)

That's it. So far the iPhone 4 is the ONLY model to have its suffix coincide with the actual generation number.

If I had to guess, the next iPhone would either be the 4G if it's capable of actual 4G speeds, or just iPhone 6. To call it the iPhone 5 doesn't make sense at all.
    Still iphone 5 sounds better n iphone 6 means nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    iPhone 4S is the 5th iPhone so the 6th iPhone should be iPhone 5.
    Agreed.

iPhone? More like MyPhone blueblaze4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Most customers could care less, do any of you really think that a normal user is going to sit there and think "iPhone 5?? but it's the sixth one!" In fact, most people would sit there confusedly looking at an iPhone 6 sign thinking "But that makes no sense." These are normal people, not tech businessmen looking at all of the details that I for one couldn't care less about. I don't think anyone would even care enough to REALIZE that it was the sixth iPhone released...no one's counting.

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,614 Times in 671 Posts

Well i can say is i have upgrades for the last 3 yrs from 3G,iPhone4, and now 4S. Plus i have other 2 lines on my account that are available for upgrades LOL

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blueblaze4444 View Post
    Most customers could care less, do any of you really think that a normal user is going to sit there and think "iPhone 5?? but it's the sixth one!" In fact, most people would sit there confusedly looking at an iPhone 6 sign thinking "But that makes no sense." These are normal people, not tech businessmen looking at all of the details that I for one couldn't care less about. I don't think anyone would even care enough to REALIZE that it was the sixth iPhone released...no one's counting.

Absolutely right! The fact is that actually the iPhone4 has been the only phone so far with the model number matching with the actual generation. From a marketing point of view it doesn't make sense to skip a number, that will just make it confusing. On the other hand, Apple needs to find a new naming convention sooner or later as from certain point the numbers loose the appeal and being out of sync with the iOS versions is not helping. If Apple sticks with the current concept we would see an iPhone 5 next year, iPhone 5S in 2013, iPhone 6 in 2014 and by that time we should already have iOS 8.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I've upgraded every iphone since day one, and had them all on release day. I take out 12 month contracts, so it's no skin off my nose. Yes, I may be a "fanboy", but i've had android phones and never will again.
    Last edited by lou rob; 12-22-2011 at 02:32 AM.

Banned
    Thanks

does it really matter what it's called?
    Seems like you kids are more concerned with what it's called instead of it's internal components.

Stop creamin' your pants over what its called and spend more time worrying about whether or not apple is goin to bend you over and eff you out of $700 again.

The transition from iphone 4 to 4s was so minuscule compared from a 3g to a 4. It was embarrassing on so many levels.

And if you're soo worried about what the next ones going to be called... do us all a favour and go play in rush hour traffic.
    You annoying whinin' b!tches

Thanks

if the iphone 5 dont have a bigger screen, i'll be waving bye bye to apple and the iphone. seeing the same screen size for 4 years. is to small for my liking.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Staying on topic.... with the rumor bs that got out of control with the 4S, I'll believe it when Apple unveils it. In one ear and out the other Gene. Sorry.

SN: Doesn't matter what the phone/tablet/laptop/desktop is called, your going to buy it. Shut your face!!!