+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Nuance to Compete with Siri: Uses Vlingo as Key

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Nuance to Compete with Siri: Uses Vlingo as Key

In a recent press release, Mike Thompson, Nuance Mobile’s senior vice president said that “virtually every mobile and consumer electronics company on the planet is looking for ways to integrate natural conversational voice interactions into their mobile products, applications, and services,” and said the acquisition of Vlingo would help the company ‘accelerate the pace of innovation to meet this demand.”

The company announced plans to acquire Vlingo in order to deliver a new generation of voice based natural language interfaces for a variety of consumer and professional markets. Nuance continues to see this as being a $5 billion opportunity. The company hasn’t specified the terms of acquisition though as of yet.

Vlingo, is a closely held company backed by Charles River Ventures, Sigma Partners, Yahoo, and AT&T, with headquarters based in Cambridge, Massachusetts. In addition to voice to text capabilities, Vlingo maintains an “Intent Engine” to parse what a user says and determine the desired actions, which is more compatible to Apple’s Siri technology rather than the raw speech recognition tools offered by Apple competitors (Google, Microsoft, and Nuance itself.)

Thompson mentioned that the industry has been inspired mainly by the introduction of services such as Apple’s Siri (which utilizes Nuance voice recognition technology) and his own company’s Dragon Go mobile app that delivers voice based search. Apple was said to be working closely with Nuance to license its technology for continued use in Siri, which it acquired the previous year. It was also rumored that Microsoft “had been pushing Apple hard” to use its own Bing voice recognition technology within iOS 5.

In the end, it is quite obvious that Apple delivered Siri using Nuance technology in its back end, causing lead developers from both Microsoft and Google to describe Siri as being nothing new and not in the right direction for mobile devices. At the same time, consumers beg to differ with the iPhone 4S sales proving otherwise.

How do you feel about Siri on your iPhone 4S? Do you use it often? Would you like to see Siri-like experiences offered in more products? Share any thoughts and opinions below!

Source: Nuance

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Green Apple
    Thanks

Honestly, there is so much hate for apple, and I realized that, Apple starts something new, hence the constant need to call its products "Revolutionary", then other companies copy it. Of course this is going to happen with everything, but its become to the point where Apple always bringing forward the next best thing. It started with iPads, and now Siri.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dfheje View Post
    Honestly, there is so much hate for apple, and I realized that, Apple starts something new, hence the constant need to call its products "Revolutionary", then other companies copy it. Of course this is going to happen with everything, but its become to the point where Apple always bringing forward the next best thing. It started with iPads, and now Siri.
    Hm. I'd say it started with iPhones....No, iPod Touches. :P

Thanks

I honestly love Apple products! Apple has earned my trust and that's why I continue to spend my money on their products. Why, because I like products that work and that includes Siri. I've only had my iPhone 4S for about two weeks now and when I first got it I wasn't using Siri as much as I am now. Has anybody seen the Microsoft tell me versus Siri video on YouTube I mean that just explains it all it's hilarious. I'm so sick of other companies that put out little gimmicks like that to Lure you into spending your money and then once you get them all you want to do is rip out your hair because they are so frustrating to use! This message was posted using Siri dictation.

iPhone? More like MyPhone buttamix's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by niconon View Post
    I honestly love Apple products! Apple has earned my trust and that's why I continue to spend my money on their products. Why, because I like products that work and that includes Siri. I've only had my iPhone 4S for about two weeks now and when I first got it I wasn't using Siri as much as I am now. Has anybody seen the Microsoft tell me versus Siri video on YouTube I mean that just explains it all it's hilarious. I'm so sick of other companies that put out little gimmicks like that to Lure you into spending your money and then once you get them all you want to do is rip out your hair because they are so frustrating to use! This message was posted using Siri dictation.
    Wow that's pretty cool. Goop Siri

Thanks
    Same crap we've heard from them before... The iPhone sucks, the iPad sucks, retina screens aren't the sharpest, iPods are irrelevant, it goes on and on. (not that Apple hasn't made blunders over the years, but not recently)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Siri has become a part of my daily life now! Makes my life so much easier for personal and business! I can't wait to see what jailbreak Devs do with it!! Would love Facebook integration!

Thanks

LMAO, really? Funny considering NUANCE is the technology BEHIND Siri's voice recognition

iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skram View Post
    Hm. I'd say it started with iPhones....No, iPod Touches. :P
    No wait, iPods.
    How about computers?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I use Siri daily for stupid stuff I don't feel like taking additional steps to do. Finding specific songs in iTunes, reading/replying to texts while driving, setting or turning on alarms for work, setting the timer for laundry or for food in the oven, etc. Definitely has made things simpler for me. Not the reason I bought the 4S however, just a pleasant bonus.