Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple iDevice Sting Results in 141 Arrests in the Big Apple

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Apple iDevice Sting Results in 141 Arrests in the Big Apple

Without question, iPhones and iPads are the among the hottest mobile devices on the open market. Unfortunately, they're also the "hottest" devices on the black market. That was much was illustrated yet again when New York police recently succeeded in arresting 141 people for attempting to purchase stolen iDevices.

According to the New York Post, undercover NYPD officers sold the Apple products to merchants "at more than 600 stores around the five boroughs" of the Big Apple itself. Authorities posing as merchants were asking $50 to $200 for iPhone 4s and iPad 2s. It was made explicitly clear to the buyers that the devices were, indeed, stolen.

Brooklyn saw the most arrests, with 42, while there were 41 in Manhattan, 31 in The Bronx, 21 in Queens and six on Staten Island.
    “That’s our intention, to reduce the places where people who steal these things can go and sell them,” said NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly. “If someone is offering you an iPad for way below market value, you have to realize that it’s most likely stolen.”

As it turns out, iDevice theft is a huge problem in New York City. “Walking around with a cellphone is like walking around with a $500 bill,” one source told the New York Post. “Kids are stealing them and flipping them immediately.”

Source: New York Post

My iPhone is a Part of Me keenpois0n's Avatar
    Thanks

pigs, as if they would do that..

iPhone? More like MyPhone jiniej's Avatar
    Thanks

nice nypd cop car..... -______-

my friend got arrested an undercover officer sold him an iPad and iPhone 3G for $100 dumb *****

I was about to talk sh.it until I seen the part where they said that the buyers were made aware that the devices were stolen. I mean how stupid to buy something when someone is clearly making it obvious that they are stolen.

Quote Originally Posted by iKillYou View Post
    I was about to talk sh.it until I seen the part where they said that the buyers were made aware that the devices were stolen. I mean how stupid to buy something when someone is clearly making it obvious that they are stolen.
    I agree. It's not exactly entrapment if they're fully aware that they're doing something illegal.
    Quote Originally Posted by duromega View Post
    my friend got arrested an undercover officer sold him an iPad and iPhone 3G for $100 dumb *****
    Who needs enemies eh?

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by duromega View Post
    So wait the cop was selling a stolen iPad? How does that work that he gets arrested its not like he stole it ?

Bender, knowingly buying stolen merchandise is a crime, fyi.
    @Metaserph
    "You can only attain Peace through spreading Love to create Unity and earn the Respect of others" - Complex Simplicity

I mean how stupid to buy something when someone is clearly making it obvious that they are stolen.
    A lot of them are used for things like mathematical modelling of climate change, objects in space moving around another etc.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Most people would buy an iPad or iPhone at a good price even if they knew it was stolen.

I don't care who you are or what you say.. a very high percentage would still buy them.

I feel 141 claims of entrapment coming on...

Green Apple
    Thanks

haha.. in Germany this would be forbidden, because it's temptation to commit a crime, and this is a crime by itself

I remember a similar sting operation like this a few years back. Cops would attempt to sell you property they let you know was stolen, and if you made the purchase, you'd get arrested and they'd use this as grounds to go and search your home under suspicion that more stolen goods might be there. Needless to say, tons of guys received MEGA time because illegal firearms, drugs, etc were found.

Why don't they target the thieves instead of the buyers you sell someone a 4s or a ip2 for 200 or less someone is gonna take it especially around the holidays that is a real f'ed up thing to catch a case over

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Stings like this are conducted all the time with products, prostitution, cars, etc. I don't see why there is a need to post an article just because law enforcement is doing their job.

Yea if they made it known that they were stolen and they still bought them. Have a nice time in that cell smh.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen. View Post
    They will most likely be charged with receiving and concealing stolen propert/goods. I know that's the charge here in MI.

Quote Originally Posted by stellan0r View Post
    haha.. in Germany this would be forbidden, because it's temptation to commit a crime, and this is a crime by itself

I unstand that it is crime to knowingly purchase stolen property, but how about the Police focus these man-hours and our tax dollars to catch thieves that steal our precious iDevices and not those people who are looking to get a deal too good to pass up..... I mean really? Targeting "tempted" consumers just seems like the wrong approach here. Lets go after the real bad guys...

Quote Originally Posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
    So wait the cop was selling a stolen iPad? How does that work that he gets arrested its not like he stole it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen. View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Amillio View Post
    Why don't they target the thieves instead of the buyers you sell someone a 4s or a ip2 for 200 or less someone is gonna take it especially around the holidays that is a real f'ed up thing to catch a case over
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatbiguns View Post
    I unstand that it is crime to knowingly purchase stolen property, but how about the Police focus these man-hours and our tax dollars to catch thieves that steal our precious iDevices and not those people who are looking to get a deal too good to pass up..... I mean really? Targeting "tempted" consumers just seems like the wrong approach here. Lets go after the real bad guys...

Are you freaking kidding me?? A lot of you fail at reading comprehension. NYPD was clearly going after shops and bodegas that sell stolen products, not Joe Schmoe out in the street. These people are just as bad as the ones doing the actual stealing.

“That’s our intention, to reduce the places where people who steal these things can go and sell them,” said NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly.

they used to sell stolen iDevices.... until they got a arrow in the knee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast