+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [How To] Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 With Redsn0w 0.9.9b9b

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Redsn0w 0.9.9b9b is the new redsn0w released today. Here's a guide on using it. We reported earlier today that the Dev-Team Blog was updated with links for the new redsn0w
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default [How To] Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 With Redsn0w 0.9.9b9b

Redsn0w 0.9.9b9b is the new redsn0w released today. Here's a guide on using it.

We reported earlier today that the Dev-Team Blog was updated with links for the new redsn0w 0.9.9b9b which came with a myriad of new features succeeding the previous version like the ability to point to the iOS 5.0.1 firmware instead of the iOS 5.0 firmware when booting tethered or jailbreaking. This updated version of redsn0w will work on the updated 8GB iPhone 4's that are sold by CDMA carriers and GSM carriers alike following the release of the iPhone 4S. For this guide we will be using the redsn0w 0.9.9b7 interface because it looks the same as today's update. You should be able to follow along and see the exact same screen. So now that you've downloaded the new redsn0w, here's how you use it to jailbreak an iDevice:

Start by opening redsn0w - connect the device that you want to jailbreak and then click on the jailbreak button which is shown below by the red bounding box:

Now that you're ready to jailbreak, you must enter DFU mode on your iDevice. As redsn0w says, you can enter DFU mode now without powering off if you know how to enter DFU mode already. This is achieved by holding down home and sleep for ten seconds, then releasing sleep while continuing to hold home until redsn0w starts recognizing and using your iDevice. You'll know that you're in DFU mode when the screen remains black after holding the buttons. If it shows the iTunes logo and a sync cable, then you did something wrong and went into recovery mode:

Once you see redsn0w begin to fiddle with your iDevice, you can let go of it and redsn0w will start immediately. It will begin by exploiting your iDevice with the limera1n bootrom exploit which is used in all tethered jailbreaks on A4 devices. The exploit is used to figure out which firmware is running on your iDevice so that redsn0w can patch it accordingly. The newest version of redsn0w does not require that you point redsn0w to the firmware anymore because it's capable of doing that automatically when you're in DFU mode as shown below:

After the exploit is finished and the firmware has been identified, the iDevice will begin to boot up:

When the iDevice reboots, redsn0w will use the exploit that it found in order to upload the jailbreak data to the iDevice. In the process that it does this, redsn0w will show you various stages of data messages which you can watch while it performs the jailbreak all by itself. The data messages will appear like the ones below; in respective order:

Now that your firmware has been found and patched, you can choose your options from the list that appears. You have the option to simply install Cydia, install a custom bundle (which general users will stay away from), enable multitasking gestures (which is when you use four fingers to navigate multitasking instead of using the home button, you can enable it if you want to), and the last option is to deactivate the device (which has to do with unlock patches). For this tutorial we will simply install Cydia and then click next, both of which are shown below by the red bounding box:

Once you click next from the step above, redsn0w will start the jailbreak process. The first thing you will see is that redsn0w is uploading the Ramdisk to the iDevice. At the same time that you see this on redsn0w, you should see the same thing on your iDevice screen that says, "Uploading Ramdisk." The redsn0w window will look like this during this step:

When redsn0w finishes doing what it needs to do, the window should display, "done" and tell you that the rest of the process happens on the iDevice itself. During that step, you can do ahead and click back as shown by the red bounding box below because since this is a tethered jailbreak, you will need to boot tethered after the jailbreak is complete:

When redsn0w finishes, you should see a list of white command lines scrolling through a black screen on your iDevice that looks similarly to this:

When the command line finishes scrolling, you can see the pwnapple with some information under it with a loading bar. This process should take no more than a few seconds because of the speedy new jailbreak method that defaults in the new redsn0w 0.9.9. The iDevice screen should look like this:

When the loading bar completes, your iDevice will reboot. That's all there is to jailbreaking the iDevice. All that's left to do is boot up tethered. To do this, refer back to redsn0w which you put back on the main screen not too long ago by clicking on the, "back" button and this time instead of jailbreak, you're going to click on the, "Extras" button as shown below by the red bounding box:

When you click extras, you will be shown a big list of options. You want to click on the, "Just Boot" button. You'll need to go through the DFU mode process again which is explained up above and redsn0w will automatically detect your firmware for you so that you can boot tethered. The iDevice will then boot up with a pineapple on the screen and when it loads up to the lock screen, you can open up Cydia, let it reload the filesystem, then the device will respring. When you're back at the lock screen again, you can open Cydia again, and start adding sources and downloading applications and packages from Cydia to enjoy.

And one more thing:

You can download iBooks and use it because redsn0w 0.9.9b9b fixes the jailbreak configuration block that Apple added to iBooks. Enjoy your jailbreak!

REMEMBER: This is a TETHERED JAILBREAK, meaning any time you fully reboot your iPhone, you will need to connect it to a computer to boot it (a 2 minute procedure). To boot tethered, connect your device to the computer via USB cable while it's turned off, and open redsn0w. You'll want to click Extras on the main screen, and then Just boot. That's all there is to it!
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 12-19-2011 at 02:58 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me jonkjon's Avatar
    Thanks

Can this jb be applied directly to an already jb'kn device without having to go through the restore process?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Nice improvement with 5.0.1 and iBooks support added.

Thanks

Will this work for iphone 4s?

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,062 Times in 4,204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Loko914 View Post
    Will this work for iphone 4s?
    No this wont

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zrevai View Post
    Nice improvement with 5.0.1 and iBooks support added.
    Nice i like the ibook fix but does it work if run tethered boot on my already jailbroken device.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I can confirm for those of you already jailbroken with an older version of Redsn0w, you can "just boot" from this new version and the same fixes will apply. You do not 'have to" re-jailbreak your device.

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Do we have to restore and rejailbreak to get iBooks support?

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

is this tethered or untethered also can i use custom firmware
    Last edited by Casanova232; 12-19-2011 at 05:10 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Casanova232 View Post
    is this tethered or untethered also can i use custom firmware
    ::

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

just tether boot with this version of Redsn0w to fix ibooks for you guys that are already jailbroken!

Thanks

I can confirm it works but the only problem i had which cause me to put back to stock firmware was that i could no longer send pic messages, didn't try to receive them but i tried sending and the photo tab is grayed out, anyone else have that problem?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Jaredtodd69's Avatar
    Thanks

Can you use this with 5.0

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2k1dakotaman View Post
    No this wont
    Looks like apple finally won, victory over all jailbreak hackers. No JB in all this time...i want a refund for all those JB apps I bought.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

You might want to let ppl know that this is a tethered jailbreak BEFORE the guide, otherwise they may start jailbreaking thinking its untethered then find out at the end that it's not... I'm sure not everyone will start right away without reading the entire article, but there's always those few ppl that do!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

just booted my iphone 4 which had 5.0 on it..... Not seeing any difference

How do I know if the phone took the new redsnow update????

My iPhone is a Part of Me PoEtikly's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Cornelius View Post
    just tether boot with this version of Redsn0w to fix ibooks for you guys that are already jailbroken!
    But do we have to be on 5.0.1 or can we be Jailbroken with redsn0w on 5.0? Also, I'm sure this has been answered but is there a windows version?

Quote Originally Posted by blownbayou View Post
    just booted my iphone 4 which had 5.0 on it..... Not seeing any difference

How do I know if the phone took the new redsnow update????
    Does iBooks work correctly?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PoEtikly View Post
    But do we have to be on 5.0.1 or can we be Jailbroken with redsn0w on 5.0? Also, I'm sure this has been answered but is there a windows version?

Does iBooks work correctly?
    Download the windows version from the previous redsh0w article. And you can use this redsnow for ios5 too.

And yes this will fix ibooks
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

Livin the iPhone Life rjrankin83's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ejb5oh View Post
    Looks like apple finally won, victory over all jailbreak hackers. No JB in all this time...i want a refund for all those JB apps I bought.
    For heaven's sake you can't be serious

Can we refund you for your old iPhone you chose to upgrade as well?

My iPhone is a Part of Me PoEtikly's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by celeron View Post
    Download the windows version from the previous redsh0w article. And you can use this redsnow for ios5 too.

And yes this will fix ibooks
    Thanks celeron