+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sprint Yanks Carrier IQ from All Supported Mobile Devices

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Sprint Yanks Carrier IQ from All Supported Mobile Devices

As if Apple's commitment to pulling the plug wasn't sufficient for some, iPhone carrier Sprint is similarly doing away with Carrier IQ across its entire mobile device line. On Monday, Sprint swallowed a bitter pill in the wake of critics blasting the wireless giant for allowing Carrier IQ software on some 26 million of its devices in the United States.

"We have weighed customer concerns and we have disabled use of the tool so that diagnostic information and data is no longer being collected," Sprint announced in an email to Mobile Burn. "We are further evaluating options regarding this diagnostic software as well as Sprint's diagnostic needs."

As MMi previously reported, the Carrier IQ software is what's known as a rootkit that is installed at a carrier’s request on mobile phones. Carrier IQ raises user privacy concerns because it runs in the background and monitors and logs user activity. Carrier IQ is believed to be installed on more than 100 million devices around the world.

Until now, Sprint and AT&T - two iPhone carriers in the United States - claimed that the Carrier IQ software and its collected data have only been used as a means to "improve service performance." As of this writing, Sprint is done dealing with Carrier IQ, although it isn't yet clear if Sprint somehow remotely disabled the software on its devices or on its network.

Source: Mobile Burn

Green Apple
    Thanks

Sprint (non-iPhone) users:

Monitor your daily data. I'd be really curious to see if it goes down now. Sprint's comments to Al Franken were evasive at best. I'm curious as to exactly how much data CIQ was using.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

How can we know for sure that it's removed? In the first place we didn't know it was there, and more so we couldn't disabled it, so why should we trust sprint argument?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,354 Times in 1,307 Posts

They can say anything you want to hear to make you feel better.......I bet it's still there.......

Thanks
    So Is this on iPhone too or just androids

Green Apple
    Thanks

I dont think sprint can remove the software from your phone. What they are saying is that they are not collecting data from the phone. I assume the software will still run on your phone sending data that its mined but no one on the other end to recieve it. But trusting the carriers to actually do what they say is another question. How can we tell if our data is not being collected? Somehow someone is going to intercept this information.

Thanks

Is Carrier IQ (awd_ice) on the iOS 5.1 betas?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mlitz69 View Post
    Apple has said that they've removed (more likely deactivated) it from the iOS builds. The carriers have no control over the Apple software, so this would mostly affect other Smart/Dumb phone users (though I'm not sure if it's even on Dumb Phones).
    Hear my sporadic ramblings: @liquidzoo on Twitter

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mlitz69 View Post
    Yes, it's on the iPhone. It was disabled in 5.01 and will be removed in 5.1. You can turn off CIQ on the iPhone (the only phone you can do this one).

Settings > General > About > Diagnostics & Usage > Don't Send

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

by turning off CIQ, does this improve sprints network on 3G? that's what sprint needs to concentrate on if they want to continue to keep iPhone customers!