+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Article: Redsn0w 0.9.9b9d Released!

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Redsn0w 0.9.9b9d has been released in full. Article updated with links for redsn0w 0.9.9b9d. Yeah, the jailbreak is still tethered right now. Redsn0w has been updated with a whole truckload
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Redsn0w 0.9.9b9b Released!

Redsn0w 0.9.9b9d has been released in full.

Article updated with links for redsn0w 0.9.9b9d.

Yeah, the jailbreak is still tethered right now.

Redsn0w has been updated with a whole truckload of new things added to it and it is the same user interface that we know and love. According to the Dev-Team Blog, redsn0w version 0.9.9b9 has been officially released followed by an update to fix a bug dubbed redsn0w 0.9.9b9b. A third version was released for Windows to fix another problem; more about that later.

What's new in Redsn0w 0.9.9b9?

First and foremost, Redsn0w 0.9.9b9 has been updated to work with the iOS 5.0.1 firmware whereas it didn't before – you needed to point Redsn0w to iOS 5.0 in order to boot tethered and jailbreak the device. Now you can use the iOS 5.0.1 firmware instead. On top of that, iBooks has been fixed for iOS 5.0 and iOs 5.0.1. This means that you will now be able to download iBooks and read/delete/by books on your jailbroken iDevice without getting the configuration error which Apple purposely built into it to defer jailbreakers. Sn0wbreeze offered a fix for iBooks a while back; now redsn0w does too.

Any iPhone 3GS old-bootrom owners can now make custom firmwares without stitching any SHSH blobs at all. In addition to that, there will be an ultrasn0w update for iOS 5.0.1 on Cydia today with the same baseband requirements as the previous ultrasn0w. Also, Windows users can now make custom '.ipsw' files that have no baseband updates whereas only Mac OS X users could do that before. We can now also use redsn0w to jailbreak the new 8GB iPhone 4 models which we have seen arising at Sprint, AT&T, and Verizon in preparation for sales of the iPhone 4S.

Aside from the iPhone, the iPad 2 (GSM only) now has gained support in iOS 4 firmware SHSH blob stitching. It will not work with iOS 5 yet and it will not work with the iPhone 4S at all because no bootrom exploits have been found to make that possible. Another thing to note is that the top of the redsn0w window will now tell you if you have the newest version or if there is an update available to download. The Dev-Team also notes on their blog that this version of redsn0w does not support iOS 5.1 beta because the beta is not compatible with Cydia and other jailbreak applications. They also warn the newer iPhone 3GS owners can not use iPad basebands. The complete description below:

Quote Originally Posted by Dev-Team Blog
    Update #17: The holiday season is almost here (Happy Holidays!) so we realize everyone is busy (especially @pod2g!). And even though we always recommend that jailbreakers stay where they are until a new untethered JB comes out, that’s not always possible. So we’ve updated redsn0w for those who may have found themselves at iOS 5.0.1, and added some other useful features too:
    • native support for 5.0.1 (no need to point redsn0w at 5.0 IPSW or use command-line args). Support automatically extends to all of redsn0w’s various functions: “Jailbreak”, “Just boot”, “Fetch blobs”, “Stitch blobs”, “Recovery Fix”
    • iBooks fixed in 5.0 and 5.0.1. This is a targeted fix that doesn’t remove entire sandbox mechanism. 5.x users already using redsn0w “Just Boot” can just use the new version without redoing entire jailbreak again
    • 3GS old-bootrom owners can now create custom IPSWs without blobs
    • ultrasn0w compatability update (i.e. same baseband requirements) for 5.0.1 will be available on Cydia Monday
    • support for newer 8GB iPhone4 (which until now had problems with “Fetch blobs”). Thanks to JKjeepnJeff for loaning us one of these newer i4 units for testing!
    • allows Windows users (not just OS X users) to use the “Custom” button to create IPSWs without baseband update. (Update: please wait for 0.9.9b9b for this!)
    • accommodates APTickets in 5.x (until next Apple countermove). APTickets are crypto-verified before submitting to Cydia, just like the main blobs. Cydia server support for sending back the APTickets is upcoming. For now, use stitched IPSWs for 5.x. Due to APTickets, stitched 5.x IPSWs now require user to start in “Pwned DFU” mode
    • Support added for stitching 4.x blobs to iPad2-GSM IPSWs. Similar to notcom’s TinyCFW but doesn’t require lots of RAM or a TSS-assisted restore. Won’t work for iPad2 5.x blobs (or iPhone4S at all) until a bootrom-level exploit is out
    • top line now shows whether (and where) a redsn0w update is available, or if the version being run is the latest. Uses DNS TXT record to alleviate any concerns about snooping
    • no 5.1 beta support at this time (major apps like Cydia are not yet compatible)
    • pod2g has been doing a great job porting his 5.x untether…check his blog for updates!
    • Owners of newer 3GS iPhones must not flash the iPad baseband. The iPad baseband will not work on 3GS iPhones built later than 2011 week 35. You have a week 35 or later device if your serial # starts with xx135.
    What's new in Redsn0w 0.9.9b9b?

Update #17b: Version 0.9.9b9b enables the “Custom” button for Windows users, and make the 3GS week 35 warning a more explicit part of the process.
    What's new in Redsn0w 0.9.9b9b(2)?

This update is for Windows users only.

Update #17c: For those Windows users encountering launch errors due to the self-update check, please use this version instead for now.
    This redsn0w update is huge. It fixes a ton of issues, adds a lot more support, and even supports the newer firmware so that you can delete the old firmware and free up some hard disk drive space. It definitely makes a difference for us solid state drive users who are buckled down to low memory sizes. The interface of redsn0w still looks the same and you will continue to be able to find everything right where it was before – no major changes have been applied to the interface. If you have a device jailbroken on iOS 5.0.1 using the iOS 5.0 firmware to jailbreak and boot tethered, you can run this version of redsn0w over it to get the iBooks fix and things of that nature (simply boot tethered, you don't need to rejailbreak). I have done it myself this morning.

Download Links:
    Mac OS X: Redsn0w 0.9.9b9b
    Windows: Redsn0w 0.9.9b9b(2)

EDIT: Article has been edited for conciseness.

Are you excited to use the new Redsn0w? Share in the comments.

Sources: Dev-Team Blog
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 12-20-2011 at 07:47 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tario70's Avatar
    Thanks

I'd love to know how this is going for other people as I am having nothing but problems. Not with the jailbreak itself, but after the fact.

I have a 3GS old-bootrom. I created a no_bb cfw & after installing that I jailbroke with redsn0w.

Everything was going fine until I installed Five Icon Dock. Cydia asks to reboot my phone & upon reboot I'm stuckin a the spinning wheel which is frozen.

Reinstalled a newly created no_bb & rejailbroke. This time I installed SBSettings. Upon reboot, boom, spinning wheel which moved every so often, but then froze. Left the phone on for 4 hours this way & it never booted up.

I'm now jailbreaking a 3rd time. This time I am using a crappy Win 7 32 bit laptop to ensure that my x64 machine isn't the issue. After this I have no idea what to do. I'm going to try to install another app besides SBSettings & Five Icon Dock, but I thought both of those apps were iOS5 compatible...

I tried BiteSMS for my 3rd attempt. I'll let you know how it goes... Edit: It failed again...

I figured out the problem & it is redsn0w.

If you have an old-bootrom 3GS, you should be untethered, but Redsn0w is not giving you the untether. 5.0.1 will be tethered. I have confirmed this thrice now. Also, after jailbreaking the mail.app no longer functions. It will open then stay at a white screen for a time, then crash. Again, confirmed twice with 3 different no_BB custom firmwares & 2 different PCs.

I'm now back at 4.3.3 untethered. I was damned excited to go to iOS 5 too.
    Last edited by Tario70; 12-19-2011 at 11:24 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone spooneditr's Avatar
    Thanks

So your telling me someone with a version iphone 4 16g with 5.0.1 can use this for a tethered jb?

Your mom has "spirit" but I used my "pwnage tool" on her all night long and "ultrasn0wed" all over her. haha

My iPhone is a Part of Me christoforo's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post

Redsn0w 0.9.9b9b has been released in full.

Are you ready to download another Redsn0w version? Redsn0w has been updated with a whole truckload of new things added to it and it is the same user interface that we know and love. Taking a look at the Dev-Team Blog this morning, I was able to see that Redsn0w version 0.9.9b9 has been officially released. Additionally, they took a step further to fix a bug and released Redsn0w 0.9.9b9b which is the second version of Redsn0w 0.9.9b9 released today. Additionally, a third version was released for Windows to fix another problem. But, more about that later.

What's new in Redsn0w 0.9.9b9?

First and foremost, Redsn0w 0.9.9b9 has been updated to work with the iOS 5.0.1 firmware whereas it didn't before – you needed to point Redsn0w to iOS 5.0 in order to booth tethered and jailbreak the device. Now you can use the iOS 5.0.1 firmware instead. The old version of Redsn0w was capable of jailbreaking iOS 5.0.1, but you couldn't point it to the iOS 5.0.1 firmware to do it. On top of that, iBooks has been fixed for iOS 5.0 and iOs 5.0.1. This means that you will now be able to download iBooks and read/delete/by books on your jailbroken iDevice without getting the configuration error which Apple purposely built into it to defer jailbreakers. Sn0wbreeze offered a fix for iBooks a while back; now Redsn0w does too.

Any iPhone 3GS old-bootrom owners can now make custom firmwares without using any blobs at all. Isn't that wonderful; what a luxury it must be to not need to save your blobs to make a custom restore-able firmware. In addition to that, there will be an Ultrasn0w update for iOS 5.0.1 on Cydia today with the same baseband requirements as the previous Ultrasn0w. Also, Windows users can now make custom '.ipsw' files that have no baseband updates whereas only Mac OS X users could do that before. We can now also use Redsn0w to jailbreak the new 8GB iPhone 4 models which we have seen arising at Sprint, AT&T, and Verizon in preparation for sales of the iPhone 4S.

Aside from the iPhone, the iPad 2 (GSM only) now has gained support in iOS 4 firmware SHSH blob stitching. It will not work with iOS 5 yet and it will not work with the iPhone 4S at all because no bootrom exploits have been found to make that possible. Another thing to note is that the top of the Redsn0w window will now tell you if you have the newest version or if there is an update available to download. The Dev-Team also notes on their blog that this version of Redsn0w does not support iOS 5.1 beta because the beta is not compatible with Cydia and other jailbreak applications. They also warn the newer iPhone 3GS owners can not use iPad basebands. The complete description below:

What's new in Redsn0w 0.9.9b9b?

What's new in Redsn0w 0.9.9b9b(2)?

This update is for Windows users only.

This Redsn0w update is huge. It fixes a ton of issues, adds a lot more support, and even supports the newer firmware so that you can delete the old firmware and free up some hard disk drive space. Yeah, it definitely makes a difference for us solid state drive users who are buckled down to low memory sizes. The interface of Redsn0w still looks the same and you will continue to be able to find everything right where it was before – no major changes have been applied to the interface. If you have a device jailbroken on iOS 5.0.1 using the iOS 5.0 firmware to jailbreak and boot tethered, you can run this version of Redsn0w over it to get the iBooks fix and things of that nature. I have done it myself this morning.

Download Links:
    Mac OS X: Redsn0w 0.9.9b9b
    Windows: Redsn0w 0.9.9b9b(2)

Are you excited to use the new Redsn0w? Share in the comments.

Sources: Dev-Team Blog
    Can you respond to my pms please.

iPhone? More like MyPhone risingkazuya05's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tario70 View Post
    I'd love to know how this is going for other people as I am having nothing but problems. Not with the jailbreak itself, but after the fact.

I have a 3GS old-bootrom. I created a no_bb cfw & after installing that I jailbroke with redsn0w.

Everything was going fine until I installed Five Icon Dock. Cydia asks to reboot my phone & upon reboot I'm stuckin a the spinning wheel which is frozen.

Reinstalled a newly created no_bb & rejailbroke. This time I installed SBSettings. Upon reboot, boom, spinning wheel which moved every so often, but then froze. Left the phone on for 4 hours this way & it never booted up.

I'm now jailbreaking a 3rd time. This time I am using a crappy Win 7 32 bit laptop to ensure that my x64 machine isn't the issue. After this I have no idea what to do. I'm going to try to install another app besides SBSettings & Five Icon Dock, but I thought both of those apps were iOS5 compatible...

I'm going to try something simple like NoSpot for my 3rd attempt. I'll let you know how it goes...
    why not use scrollingboard instead? you can have more than 5 icons if you want
    Ninjas?!?!...They all learned from ME!!!

Thanks

Finally. I thought it was not going to get released until 5.1 came out or pod2g's untethered jailbreak
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Wait, you said that previous redsnow versions didn't work on 5.0.1? I just boot tethered my iPT 4 on 5.0.1 on redsnow 0.9.9b7!!!!!

Thanks

It works but you need to point redsn0w to the ios5 ipsw.
    Last edited by celeron; 12-19-2011 at 11:07 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,751 Times in 2,641 Posts

Are you saying this redsnow can now stitch 4.xx blob ( if you have it saved ) to ipsw for ipad 2 ( gsm ) so ipad 2 ( gsm model ) can restore to 4.3.3 if ever needed.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mindblown's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spooneditr View Post
    So your telling me someone with a version iphone 4 16g with 5.0.1 can use this for a tethered jb?
    u could already tether jailbreak the iphone 4 with redsnow 9.9b8 but you had to point to FW 5.0 to jailbreak. In this version of redsnow you dont need to point to FW 5.0 anymore, you can point to FW 5.0.1 to jailbreak 5.0.1 as it is more convenient.

anyways yay ultrasn0w is being updated!!!
    Last edited by mindblown; 12-19-2011 at 11:29 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

The versioning number/letters just look ridiculous lol.

-Luke

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tario70 View Post

I tried BiteSMS for my 3rd attempt. I'll let you know how it goes... Edit: It failed again...

I figured out the problem & it is redsn0w.

If you have an old-bootrom 3GS, you should be untethered, but Redsn0w is not giving you the untether. 5.0.1 will be tethered. I have confirmed this thrice now. Also, after jailbreaking the mail.app no longer functions. It will open then stay at a white screen for a time, then crash. Again, confirmed twice with 3 different no_BB custom firmwares & 2 different PCs.

I'm now back at 4.3.3 untethered. I was damned excited to go to iOS 5 too.
    I didnt notice that anyone else had mentioned it, but i believe the reason your mail app wouldnt open was because you didnt just boot tethered. After jailbreaking you need to go into redsn0w extras and "Just Boot", where you put it back into DFU mode, then you officially boot tethered and your mail app and other JB apps should work.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,118 Times in 2,707 Posts

I ran it, all went smooth. Worthy update for all the reasons posted above.
    @Metaserph
    "You can only attain Peace through spreading Love to create Unity and earn the Respect of others" - Complex Simplicity

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lkailburn View Post
    The versioning number/letters just look ridiculous lol.

-Luke
    +1 lol. It would be easier to remember if musclenerd would finnaly push it to v1 amd go on with v2, 3 etc

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by christoforo View Post
    Can you respond to my pms please.
    Is this all you post?

Come on. IDK Maybe he is busy?
    HIT THANKS BUTTON TO SHOW YOUR APPRECIATION

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tario70's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by samuel17 View Post
    I didnt notice that anyone else had mentioned it, but i believe the reason your mail app wouldnt open was because you didnt just boot tethered. After jailbreaking you need to go into redsn0w extras and "Just Boot", where you put it back into DFU mode, then you officially boot tethered and your mail app and other JB apps should work.
    Samuel, this is incorrect. I'm on an old-bootrom 3GS. I should be completely untethered. Key word, SHOULD.

The mail.app is just broken for some reason & I can only hope MuscleNerd received my emails & will read them. I tried tweeting him too, but still nothing. I know he's busy, but after 3 installations of custom firmware I'm definitely burnt out today. I just got 4.3.3 back installed & have a usable phone now. (Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all he & the dev team do!)

Based on other discussions from other sites, it seems like MobileSubstrate is the cause. The minute it is installed, the phone will not reboot.

However, this does not explain why the mail.app crashes at all. That is completely unrelated to mobilesubstrate.
    Last edited by Tario70; 12-19-2011 at 12:47 PM.

Thanks

I dont get this ive had a iPhone 4 in white 8gb for 3 months and its been jailbroke all the time?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Any one knows why when I jailbreak my iphone 3gs I get this message " No identifying data fetch''? Please help I just want to jailbreak.

Running iOS5 updated it by mistake.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,751 Times in 2,641 Posts

Just tried this Redsn0w 0.9.9b9, it cannot identify ipad 2 GSM model firmware and cannot do any blob stitching for 4.3.3 saved blob.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mindblown's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neilsen View Post
    Any one knows why when I jailbreak my iphone 3gs I get this message " No identifying data fetch''? Please help I just want to jailbreak.

Running iOS5 updated it by mistake.
    hmm 5.0 or 5.0.1 with newbootrom?
    you need to manually point redsn0w to 5.0 or 5.0.1 FW vice versa:
    Goto Extras/Select IPSW/Open Stock 5.0 or 5.0.1 Firmware, then jailbreak.
    That's all

"No Identifying data fetched" error occurs when apple servers are down or you just have bad internet connection, so the steps i told you is kinda like an alternative
    Last edited by mindblown; 12-19-2011 at 02:03 PM.