+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Get the New Facebook Timeline On the iPhone and iPod Touch (Not iPad; Yet)

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
A new Facebook update can be downloaded in the App Store today. Are you not too much of a fan about the new Facebook 4.0? Maybe Facebook 4.1 will rattle
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Get the New Facebook Timeline On the iPhone and iPod Touch (Not iPad; Yet)

A new Facebook update can be downloaded in the App Store today.

Are you not too much of a fan about the new Facebook 4.0? Maybe Facebook 4.1 will rattle your shoes a little bit. It comes with new stability improvements and helps make viewing photos and albums easier. There have been times for many people where the photo section of Facebook would simply freeze, not load, or show connection errors upon trying to look at the pictures on someone's profile. If you've been plagued by these stupid little issues, then Facebook version 4.1 should help fix those problems and help you have a wonderful Facebook experience not only on your computer but also on your iPhone or iPod touch too. This update works on the iPad, but unfortunately iPad owners won't be able to have fun with the newest and most exciting highlight of this new Facebook 4.1 update.

The next thing to touch on is that the application loads faster. If you have noticed, Facebook 4.0 is a bit slower at loading than the previous Facebook application. This application (4.0) was intended to bring a fun-to-use interface to the mobile devices out there and help improve fluidity of of the all-around application. It had a large GUI (graphical user interface) overhaul and because of that, seemed a little sluggish on older devices with less RAM to compensate for the added memory that the new GUI uses. With this new Facebook 4.1 update, you should find that things load a little zippier and that less RAM is used in loading operations within the Facebook application. It also gives you access to your subscriptions in the mobile application.

Now for the fun part. In addition to the speed improvements and adjusted photo loading experience, Facebook 4.1 adds support for the new, upcoming Facebook timeline. Right now, the Facebook timeline isn't fully available outright. You can get it early by visiting this link and clicking the green button at the bottom right of the page. After you do that, go look at your own Facebook profile and see the huge difference. It might remind you slightly of the rather new social networking application in the App Store dubbed Path. Once you see your new Facebook timeline, you can add a background picture. Now that you've setup your Facebook timeline, you should be able to launch Facebook 4.1 on your iPhone or iPod touch and your Facebook profile should look like mine below:

I will be the first to admit that the timeline feature seems to load slower. Additionally, trying to add the background photo from the iPhone didn't work for me. I needed to make the background setting from my computer instead. But, if you're one of the people that has to have the new now, then definitely give this Facebook timeline a try. Eventually, every Facebook user will be forced into the Facebook timeline. So, why not get used to it ahead of time and look cool because you have it early. This timeline feature doesn't support the iPad yet; so again, the iPad users will have to be patient for Facebook to develop for them. Sigh.

Will you be using the new Facebook timeline feature early? Share in the comments.

Sources: MacStories
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 12-18-2011 at 01:16 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

seems faster for me on my iPhone 4

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I just deleted my facebook. On a side note, that's a nice jeep!

Livin the iPhone Life R.Mortera's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mattdonut View Post
    seems faster for me on my iPhone 4
    Same for my iPhone 4S. No lags as of now. We'll see later on.

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 4,203 Posts

Just updated it we will see how it goes.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DaLsim's Avatar
    Thanks

Testing it out now, seem to have more opt... CooL.

Thanks

Way more stable. Thanks fb for cheaping out on us all that time

Thanks

The old Facebook app was borderline unusable for me. Crashed all the time. This one seems better. Nice jeep Anthony!

Banned
    Thanks

I see no difference. Whats this new timeline I hear about?
    Even on the PC its suppose to have new features but I dont see any.

EMH
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    I see no difference. Whats this new timeline I hear about?
    Even on the PC its suppose to have new features but I dont see any.
    Go here.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EMH View Post
    Oh, thanks for that. I never seen this before.
    Not sure if its good or bad as just about every change to FB is bad but you get use to it eventually or you are like me and just use Twitter more.

Thanks

Nice. Got it to work, thanks
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

Thanks

I personally am tired of Facebook and all the bugs and glitches. I deleted it but my wife and friends can still see my page. I used to use Facebook to keep in touch with friends and family but now I have all their numbers and just text them without having to worry about all the privacy issues.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

I think I will like it once the bugs are out of it between the phone and facebook. I haven't changed yet because I don't have access to a computer right now. However I think it looks nice.

"Always remember your special and unique!"