Results 1 to 18 of 18

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Siri Can Now Search Through Best Buy's Entire Product Database

  1. #1
    Default Siri Can Now Search Through Best Buy's Entire Product Database



    Siri can now find users the best deal on anything sold in Best Buy. Wait, people still shop at Best Buy?

    No this isn’t some marketing ploy by Best Buy to delay their inevitable demise. Rather, it is a result of Wolfram Alpha’s clever use of Best Buy’s public APIs. Siri uses Wolfram to search for answers to certain questions users ask the digital assistant. Wolfram is using the previously mentioned Best Buy APIs to give users access to more than 35,000 appliances and consumer electronics sold at Best Buy.

    Currently the search results are in a simple graph format listing product brand names, models, and prices. While the layout is the same as other Siri-Wolfram search results, the ability for Apple to utilize Best Buy’s public APIs could lead to more involved search results, complete with product images, categories, and other data according to 9to5Mac.

    While I like to believe there is a special place in hell reserved for Best Buy, the ability for Apple to utilize company’s custom APIs to enrich the search result experience is intriguing. Imagine searching for “cheapest earbuds” and having the search results display earbuds by category, brand, and price via an interactive flow chart that would cull data from Newegg, Amazon, and whatever other online retailers the user frequently shops.

    I wouldn’t mind completely hands-free shopping. Would you?

    Source: 9to5Mac

  2. #2
    Livin the iPhone Life R.Mortera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    No where near you
    Posts
    1,355
    Thanks
    293
    Thanked 196 Times in 133 Posts

    Nice, I'll give this a try.

  3. #3
    Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Iowa (ISU for Vet School!)
    Posts
    3,920
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 310 Times in 264 Posts

    I don't get it. Was this a failed attempt at ripping on Best Buy? Inevitable demise? WTF?

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    I don't get it. Was this a failed attempt at ripping on Best Buy? Inevitable demise? WTF?
    Their business model is unsustainable. My brother almost accepted a position in their Supply Chain department. He declined the offer because everyone of his business mentors told him BBs retirement aka "stock options" were going to be worthless within the next 10-15 years. Big Box retailers, unless they transition successfully to an online marketplace, won't last.

    Too much inventory, not enough sales, razor thin margins, the only money they make is on Rocket Fish cables which employees can buy for $3 a pop (hmdi) with their discount.

  5. #5
    It's like best buy slept with you gave you syphilis changed their number and on top of it....your pregnant. Hahaha best buy is bloody awesome and I buy all my electronics from there....nobody(brick and mortar) gives discounts on apple products except them and their coverage compared to apples? Come on now. Anyways great article besides that.

  6. #6
    I avoid Best Buy as much as I can. The mark up on some of their items is way to much.

  7. #7
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    79
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Swanson View Post
    Too much inventory, not enough sales, razor thin margins, the only money they make is on Rocket Fish cables which employees can buy for $3 a pop (hmdi) with their discount.
    Our discount has been capped at 50% off. We still pay "5% above cost", but they made the change about a few months ago. It's helped me move to monoprice for all of my cable purchases, rather than pay the extra $2 for convenience.

    If I say anymore - or what's going thru my head as someone "from the inside" - I feel some ninja dressed in blue and khaki is going to reign terror upon me in the form of a pink slip.

  8. #8
    My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    592
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 49 Times in 34 Posts

    One of the oddest posts I've seen. Why all the hate for Best Buy? What part of the country do you live in? I live in San Diego, CA, and here Best Buy is VERY popular. Perhaps you live in a different country or world then I.

    Most people I know (and dont know) go to Best Buy for anything tech related. It is by far the most popular electronics store, and one of the more popular stores in general. It has a great reputation, with both customers and employees.

    I had a friend who loved it when they worked there before leaving for school. Higher pay then most employers, lots of room to advance, and regular raises. I've only heard good things.

    The few people that I have encountered that dislike Best Buy are "Tech Snobs", and don't want to go to a store where they feel "superior" to the staff working there.

    Personally I like best buy simply because they have some great deals (Xbox 360 slim 250gb, fable 3, halo reach, 3 months Xbox live, $200!! So happy bout that one!)

    I haven't crunched the numbers, and don't know there future business outlook, stocks, etc....but they have a great reputation, and most people love shopping there, and it is the average persons "go to" spot for any electronics. That will take you pretty far.
    El Zurdo

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
    One of the oddest posts I've seen. Why all the hate for Best Buy? What part of the country do you live in? I live in San Diego, CA, and here Best Buy is VERY popular. Perhaps you live in a different country or world then I.

    Most people I know (and dont know) go to Best Buy for anything tech related. It is by far the most popular electronics store, and one of the more popular stores in general. It has a great reputation, with both customers and employees.

    I had a friend who loved it when they worked there before leaving for school. Higher pay then most employers, lots of room to advance, and regular raises. I've only heard good things.

    The few people that I have encountered that dislike Best Buy are "Tech Snobs", and don't want to go to a store where they feel "superior" to the staff working there.

    Personally I like best buy simply because they have some great deals (Xbox 360 slim 250gb, fable 3, halo reach, 3 months Xbox live, $200!! So happy bout that one!)

    I haven't crunched the numbers, and don't know there future business outlook, stocks, etc....but they have a great reputation, and most people love shopping there, and it is the average persons "go to" spot for any electronics. That will take you pretty far.
    I live where there headquarters is, MN. They get mixed feelings about them here.

  10. #10
    Well I love shopping online. No tax! Been shopping electronics @ newegg for years.😄😄

  11. #11
    Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Iowa (ISU for Vet School!)
    Posts
    3,920
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 310 Times in 264 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Swanson View Post
    Their business model is unsustainable. My brother almost accepted a position in their Supply Chain department. He declined the offer because everyone of his business mentors told him BBs retirement aka "stock options" were going to be worthless within the next 10-15 years. Big Box retailers, unless they transition successfully to an online marketplace, won't last.

    Too much inventory, not enough sales, razor thin margins, the only money they make is on Rocket Fish cables which employees can buy for $3 a pop (hmdi) with their discount.
    You have said enough here for me to know that you have no idea what you're talking about. I thank you for this.

    Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    Well I love shopping online. No tax! Been shopping electronics @ newegg for years.
    This is going to change here in the coming year (referring to no tax).
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

    A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

  12. #12
    Best Buy is a 13 billion dollar a year business and their stock dropping percentage points is not a forecast of their demise. Anyways and more importantly, their API's being available to Siri might turn out to be the precursor of "the next best thing" for retailers, voice-activated shopping. (Of course picking up your phone and calling notwithstanding).
    Siri is the hottest thing and competition looms in the horizon. Siri-searches, finds your product options, shows you the pricing matrix and allows you to complete a sale, think about it. Just a thought...
    Last edited by metaserph; 12-16-2011 at 09:05 PM.
    @Metaserph
    "You can only attain Peace through spreading Love to create Unity and earn the Respect of others" - Complex Simplicity

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    I live where there headquarters is, MN. They get mixed feelings about them here.
    Same. I've lived all over the west coast, and no matter where I go Best Buy is always THE place to go for your electronics. I was there last week getting a new pair of headphones and the place was packed.
    From the Fire We Shall Ascend

  14. #14
    I think Best Buy as cool as it is is probably doomed to fail. But uh cool about the siri thing to? Lol

  15. #15
    Went into Best Buy a few months back to get a micro usb cable so I could jailbreak my Apple TV. The salesman told me that there was no such thing. Went in not long after (fool me once) looking for a Mini Display to HDMI adapter which I had seen on their website. Was once again told by the salesman that there was no such thing.

    Thank you Best Buy...

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by trevorrawson View Post
    Went into Best Buy a few months back to get a micro usb cable so I could jailbreak my Apple TV. The salesman told me that there was no such thing. Went in not long after (fool me once) looking for a Mini Display to HDMI adapter which I had seen on their website. Was once again told by the salesman that there was no such thing.

    Thank you Best Buy...
    There's no such thing as Best Buy.

  17. #17
    Feature is useless considering how inaccurate the database is. I would never shop at best buy anyways bunch of rip off items.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by justibackwardsn View Post
    There's no such thing as Best Buy.
    Agreed

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •