Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Wanna Know Why Apple Released A Revised iOS 5.0.1 for iPhone 4S Users?

Default Wanna Know Why Apple Released A Revised iOS 5.0.1 for iPhone 4S Users?

iPhone 4S users have been complaining about SIM card problems.

Remember yesterday when we told you that because of the iOS 5.0.1 revision for iPhone 4S users, the Siri files were wide open and could lead to a perfectly legal port for iPhone 4 owners? We have wondered why Apple released this iOS 5.0.1 revision (new build: 9A406 and old build: 9A405) instead of simply releasing a software update. Now, MacRumors found an Apple support document that seems to explain everything or at least most of it.

The filesystem for the iOS 5.0.1 revision is open as MuscleNerd said in a Tweet on Twitter yesterday. That, we still don't know why, but it seems that the reasoning for the iOS 5.0.1 revision was to fix a problem with the iPhone 4S not recognizing that a SIM card was inside the iPhone 4S. From the picture above, you can see a common message that people would receive when trying to use their iPhone 4S while having the error. The error message pops up as a blue prompt and contains the message, "No SIM card installed" which can pop up regardless if there was a SIM installed in the iPhone 4S or not. Apple notes in their support document that the iOS 5.0.1 bug could have caused either of the two following problems:

1. "Invalid SIM" or "No SIM Card installed" alert appears intermittently.
    2. Status bar displays "No Service" or "Searching" in a location with good network coverage.

While it is strange that Apple released a revised iOS 5.0.1 firmware, something that they have never done before, maybe it was a good thing that they did so. For one, since the revision was only necessary for those using iPhone 4S devices and not iPhone 4 devices or iPhone 3GS devices, Apple was able to release a fix only to those that needed it instead of forcing everyone; even those not having the problem, to deal with a software update. Another thing would be that because of the new OTA (Over The Air) updating system, Apple can push out patches to certain devices with the click of a button instead of forcing people to put their busy lives on hold to tether up to iTunes to re-install such a simple update. Regardless of OTA though, Apple seems to recommend that you tether to iTunes and restore to update anyways. I guess not all users will be happy with this so deemed, "quick fix."

Sources: MacRumors

Hey that's what my regular iPhone 4 does every time I drop it. It says no sim for a few minutes, then it comes back to life. I'm on 4.3.3.

Quote Originally Posted by cypherstream View Post
    Hey that's what my regular iPhone 4 does every time I drop it. It says no sim for a few minutes, then it comes back to life. I'm on 4.3.3.
    Sounds more like your sim card tray is jacked up or the contact points for the sim card inside lose contact, that's from you dropping it, take it into genius bar and come up with a convincing explanation

Maybe because from the impact, the sim card gets moved away from the connection for a moment. Is my logical guess.

The explanation in this article doesn't make any sense. Users who already have the older build with of 5.01 are unable to take the update OTA. You'd have to do a full restore via iTunes. It is more likely this build was released to support the release of the phone in additional countries today. Those phones likely shipped with 5.0 and will be able to take the new update..

I never had this problem and don't know anyone who does. Sounds more like a hardware problem than software.

it's stated that it only happens on iOS 5 for 4S users. If you want to get that fixed, try iOS 5 and let us know if it fixes your problem. Otherwise, it could be your hardware or something.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PoEtikly's Avatar
    Thanks

Ok so here's my question, will we need the revised version of 5.0.1 in order to get this Siri port (if released). Also, I dumped my APTickets for 5.0 then updated to 5.0.1 (before revision) and saved those tickets as well, then downgraded back to 5.0 (i4 user), so if I go into iTunes now and update will I get the new revision of 5.0.1? I'm asking because I'll do that so I can also dump the tickets for the revised 5.0.1 in case it'll be needed for a Siri port in the future. Then I can always downgrade back to 5.0 or 5.0.1 unrevised if necessary for anything. Also will the redsn0w tethered JB for 5.0.1 also work on the new revised 5.0.1?

Or was this revision only sent out to 4s users?

Maybe not dropping your expensive iPhone would be a good idea.... just a thought.

sounds like the infamous sim card shorted to sim card tray push arm. i use to get this error message every now and then. but once i covered the push square on the sim tray (release pin pushes on this), the error never came back. when releaseing the sim tray with the tool, a push arm inside the phone presses up on the sim tray's square peg. often times, the push arm still touches the square peg even if your not trying to release the tray. this results in a shorting of the sim card as the tray and push arm are all made of metal. simply tape it with thin tape.. problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
    sounds like the infamous sim card shorted to sim card tray push arm. i use to get this error message every now and then. but once i covered the push square on the sim tray (release pin pushes on this), the error never came back. when releaseing the sim tray with the tool, a push arm inside the phone presses up on the sim tray's square peg. often times, the push arm still touches the square peg even if your not trying to release the tray. this results in a shorting of the sim card as the tray and push arm are all made of metal. simply tape it with thin tape.. problem solved.
    You know I messed with my sim tray a gen ago (i4) and screwed it up! And right after I read a quote from a guy saying" ya, I'd rather not mess with a 500.00 dollar iPhone if u have a problem apple will give u another one!" I learned from that forum, its better not to F with your devices n ways tape,glue ......on n on .... May get caught in the slot and then you'll really have a problem! (now before u bash me , I'm a supervisor at a small electronics mfg facility and Ive built/taken more stuff apart/together then u can shake a stick at!)

My other question if they rereleased the iOS update 5.0.1 why can't I Update over the air! I'll have to restore I guess?(I noticed the guy above mentioned this too!)

Quote Originally Posted by trialnterror View Post
    You know I messed with my sim tray a gen ago (i4) and screwed it up! And right after I read a quote from a guy saying" ya, I'd rather not mess with a 500.00 dollar iPhone if u have a problem apple will give u another one!" I learned from that forum, its better not to F with your devices n ways tape,glue ......on n on .... May get caught in the slot and then you'll really have a problem! (now before u bash me , I'm a supervisor at a small electronics mfg facility and Ive built/taken more stuff apart/together then u can shake a stick at!)

My other question if they rereleased the iOS update 5.0.1 why can't I Update over the air! I'll have to restore I guess?(I noticed the guy above mentioned this too!)
    Going to have to restore through iTunes, I guess. I don't own an iPhone 4S so I only know heresay.

I have one IPhone 4 and 4s on ios5. The 4s is an official unlocked phone. When I popped in my China Mobile sim card and Vodafone sim, it showed no service. Then I had to use manual select to pick the correct carrier.

My sim lock on me when i update to 5.0.1. Had to call stupid at&t to get lock code to use iphone.

Never had this problem had my 4s since release .

Thanks

I have a 4S and can't seem to get the new 5.0.1. I mean it's no big deal but it's just strange that I cannot download it. I check Software Update on my phone and it tells me I'm up to date, I plug it up to my MacBook and it tells me I'm up to date, but it still says I have version 9A405 on my phone...any ideas?

I have an iphone 4 (not the 4 s) and had this issue on mine the other day, it's never dropped only loved!.
    I tried turning it off and on, removed sim/ re-inserted no joy. The only way to fix it was to delete network settings.

Looks like us iphone 4 users also need this revised upadte...how do we go about that?

Quote Originally Posted by PoEtikly View Post
    Ok so here's my question, will we need the revised version of 5.0.1 in order to get this Siri port (if released). Also, I dumped my APTickets for 5.0 then updated to 5.0.1 (before revision) and saved those tickets as well, then downgraded back to 5.0 (i4 user), so if I go into iTunes now and update will I get the new revision of 5.0.1? I'm asking because I'll do that so I can also dump the tickets for the revised 5.0.1 in case it'll be needed for a Siri port in the future. Then I can always downgrade back to 5.0 or 5.0.1 unrevised if necessary for anything. Also will the redsn0w tethered JB for 5.0.1 also work on the new revised 5.0.1?

Or was this revision only sent out to 4s users?
    LOL. Do you realize how desperate you sound for a Siri port? I honestly don't believe this port is going to happen due to copyright laws. Your talking about hacking something that will constantly use Apple server, if it crash due to heavy usage Apple will be pissed. If you want it that bad just get a 4S. I have a 4S and it's certainly not worth the trouble your going through.

And yes revised firmware is only for the 4S sorry to shatter your hopes.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PoEtikly's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xclusiveiphone View Post
    LOL. Do you realize how desperate you sound for a Siri port? I honestly don't believe this port is going to happen due to copyright laws. Your talking about hacking something that will constantly use Apple server, if it crash due to heavy usage Apple will be pissed. If you want it that bad just get a 4S. I have a 4S and it's certainly not worth the trouble your going through.

And yes revised firmware is only for the 4S sorry to shatter your hopes.
    You're not shattering **** for me as I also have a 4s. I was asking so I knew if I needed to save those APTickets. So do you realize what a troll you are? You're another one of those girly boys who use the Internet, forums, and multiplayer games to make yourself feel intelligent, tough, and to take your mind off your lack of manhood. Do you realize what these forums are actually for? They are for INFORMATION! Articles, questions, and answers! Reread that again as you obviously are to dense to realize that. You may be well below the poverty line, but go to whatever state services you currently use and ask them to get you to a shrink so you don't have to use forums as your way to release pent up aggression from being bullied, molested, or whatever other issues may be fueling your need to come out from under the bridge and troll.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast