+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: DriversEd.com Responds to Apple's Ban of Their License App

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
DriversEd.com, developers of the recently banned License app, issued a press release yesterday addressing the ban. DriversEd directly addresses Senator Bob Casey’s and the Coalition for Secure Driver’s Licence’s concerns
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default DriversEd.com Responds to Apple's Ban of Their License App

DriversEd.com, developers of the recently banned License app, issued a press release yesterday addressing the ban.

DriversEd directly addresses Senator Bob Casey’s and the Coalition for Secure Driver’s Licence’s concerns stating:

“DriversEd.com specifically and deliberately designed the app to prevent the creation of counterfeit identification...By design, it would take more effort and expertise to modify the product of the DriversEd.com 'Driver License' app than to construct a counterfeit from scratch”
    DriversEd supports this by highlighting the low 72 DPI resolution and design elements like“MOCK by DriversEd.com” beneath the words “License” on the alleged counterfeits. These were conscious decision made to ensure the fake licenses did not correspond with the government issued IDs.

“It seems highly unlikely that even the most cursory glance at fake licenses generated by the program would pass scrutiny. Comparing their screenshots against my old Ohio driver's license I can tell you that a bouncer, liquor store owner, or TSA agent would pretty much have to be legally blind to confuse a printed copy of a License-generated fake with the real deal.

Not only are the colors, layout, and font all wrong on these License-generated fakes, but modern licenses are laminated, contain embedded holograms, and have many other security features designed to defeat counterfeiters. DriversEd.com believes Apple "pulled the app prematurely.”
    Their argument is very similar to the one I laid out in a previous article about the License app’s initial ban. If the Coalition for Secure Driver’s License and Senator Casey truly believe this app is being used as a means for producing fake IDs to engage in criminal activity, they should at least levy some proof. But, since it's a free, and harmless app, there is no real consequence for Apple to remove License from the App Store.

Source: TUAW

iPhone? More like MyPhone DaLsim's Avatar
    Thanks

It's only fake, if you make it yourself. It would B nice to B yourself on ur own ID. Without someone saying "foot forward and look at the camera". I want to jump around 4 my 21st birthday driving ID...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaLsim View Post
    It's only fake, if you make it yourself. It would B nice to B yourself on ur own ID. Without someone saying "foot forward and look at the camera". I want to jump around 4 my 21st birthday driving ID...
    The point of a license is to be identifiable, not 'yourself'. The only time you'll jump up and down is with the first night of legal drinking. Followed by an endless supply of legal, mind numbing hanger overs for life. Enjoy that first night! It gets old. I'd drink more if it were illegal. Lol

But I do think they should do take 3 or 4 photos and choose the best one. Maybe the gov can learn from this app?