Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google's "Majel" Aimed to Compete With Apple's Siri

Thanks

Default Google's "Majel" Aimed to Compete With Apple's Siri

The folks over at Android and Me have reportedly come across some details regarding a project named “Majel.” The project is apparently Google’s voice control project that sounds very similar to Apple’s Siri.

Before you go ahead and start claiming that Google is jumping the voice control bandwagon, don’t forget that Google actually included voice controlled actions and search in its own iOS app already and that Android has had functions like voice-to-text baked in for a while. It’s already known that these interactions can’t compare against the things Siri can do, which is why Google is reportedly working on putting together “Majel.”

The system is apparently named after Majel Barret-Roddenberry, the wife of Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry, and the voice of many of the computer interfaces in the science fiction series. The project is under development by Google’s Google X experimental labs as of right now and when it does appear, it is likely that it will only perform Google Searches. The final plan though according to a Google representative in an interview is that “every piece of computing surface, everything is voice-aware. It’s not that there’s a personality, it doesn’t have a name, it’s just a computer.”

The whole idea seems to differ from Siri’s main purpose. Apple is marketing Siri as a personal assistant whereas Google seems to be taking the opposite approach. Nothing is personal, it’s just a computer providing convenience. The difference is quite big and may play a major role in the success but only time will tell. As of right now, the idea does sound interesting. Competition for Siri is a good thing for us users as it will cause the companies to provide more features for us users. Given that Apple actualy bought Siri instead of trying to develop it from scratch, odds are whatever Google puts together might not exceed Apple’s offering in innovation, but that’s fine. Whatever Google comes up with will still likely be an extra luxury at our disposal and will likely work on our iOS devices as well.

What do you think? Are you excited for “Majel” to be released? Share any thoughts and opinions below!

Source: Android and Me

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks
    Thanked 1,757 Times in 894 Posts

Might be a secondary option for Siri0us. Probably be released too late for anyone to care though....

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Before you go ahead and start claiming that Google is jumping the voice control bandwagon, don’t forget that Google actually included voice controlled actions and search in its own iOS app already and that Android has had functions like voice-to-text baked in for a while. It’s already known that these interactions can’t compare against the things Siri can do, which is why Google is reportedly working on putting together “Majel.”
    Thanks Akshay, for being objective. It is really refreshing. Most writers here would definately jump on that bandwagon you so graciously warned against. You deserve a cookie.

Thanks Akshay, for being objective. It is really refreshing. Most writers here would definately jump on that bandwagon you so graciously warned against. You deserve a cookie.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

Channan (12-17-2011)

Thanks

I don't think that it will be that popular like an android. Siri will always be the Best by far.
    HIT THANKS BUTTON TO SHOW YOUR APPRECIATION

Don't forget that google has been perfecting the speech recognition with google voice for years, they have the technology already mature...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peu View Post
    Don't forget that google has been perfecting the speech recognition with google voice for years, they have the technology already mature...
    Apple probably worked on siri before voice control came out on the iPhone 3GS but yeah google has had a head start on that one before apple
    HIT THANKS BUTTON TO SHOW YOUR APPRECIATION

Given that Apple actualy bought Siri instead of trying to develop it from scratch, odds are whatever Google puts together might not exceed Apple’s offering in innovation
    A conundrum presented there. If apple didnt produce Siri only bought it, then its not actually their innovation, but whoever they bought it from.

Anyway im sure googles Majel will suceed, as said above, google voice has had years of work on it, besides, there isnt much software produced by google that has failed or been poor (yes there are exceptions)

Quote Originally Posted by joshman99 View Post
    Anyway im sure googles Majel will suceed, as said above, google voice has had years of work on it, besides, there isnt much software produced by google that has failed or been poor (yes there are exceptions)
    One can only assume this is why Apple make the Siri source files available by not incrypting them. Yes Google and Android where first to market with voice capabilities, but Apple made a huge leap forward with the acquisition of Siri. Now giving way to the jailbreak community to push it further.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    one thing in advantage to google's voice recognition is that it supoorts many many languages - including arabic and hebrew. siri only supports english. it will be alot easier for google to make the service international with it's phones.

My wife has a 4s with siri and I have a Galaxy s2 (had iPhones since week 1 of the original and have nothing against them) and my phone gets every word perfect, never takes more than 2 seconds to convert it and siri takes 2-5 tries to get the words correct and takes up to 15 seconds to convert it. From my experience Google’s voice recognition is far superior. Sure you can’t ask it cute questions and get useless replies but it gets everything correct every time.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by s0ulp1xel View Post
    Apple probably worked on siri before voice control came out on the iPhone 3GS but yeah google has had a head start on that one before apple
    Apple didn't do crap to Siri back then as Siri was owned by another company and all Siri was was an app in the app store that ALL iDevices could use.
    As the 4S is crap they needed a selling point so they brought Siri and made it 4S only where it can and did work on any iDevice.
    If it wasn't for Siri the 4S wouldnt be as wanted.
    As soon as Siri is ported to all iDevices then the 4S will just look like a joke which it is. Another money grab for Apple. Thats all.
    Just about all Android phones are better than any iPhone. I don't know why Apple are holding back? I think its they dont know how to make a new idea and waiting for someone else to make one then steal it.
    So far all I see are stolen ideas, Apple has nothing new in IOS or the iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by CinePhone View Post
    One can only assume this is why Apple make the Siri source files available by not incrypting them. Yes Google and Android where first to market with voice capabilities, but Apple made a huge leap forward with the acquisition of Siri. Now giving way to the jailbreak community to push it further.
    WHY would they do that?
    They fight so hard against the jailbreak so why would they want to help?
    IS it coz they cant do it on their own? I think they want to get a hold of the jailbreak version if Siri then put it in the next release of IOS as they cant do it themselves. They need to steal it like everything else.

Am I wrong? Nope.
    Last edited by NakedFaerie; 12-16-2011 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    Apple didn't do crap to Siri back then as Siri was owned by another company and all Siri was was an app in the app store that ALL iDevices could use.
    As the 4S is crap they needed a selling point so they brought Siri and made it 4S only where it can and did work on any iDevice.
    As soon as Siri is ported to all iDevices then the 4S will just look like a joke which it is. Another money grab for Apple. Thats all.
    Just about all Android phones are better than any iPhone. I don't know why Apple are holding back? I think its they dont know how to make a new idea and waiting for someone else to make one then steal it.

WHY would they do that?
    IS it coz they cant do it on their own? I think they want to get a hold of the jailbreak version if Siri then put it in the next release of IOS as they cant do it themselves. They need to steal it like everything else.

Am I wrong? Nope.
    Strange how you always sound like you were raped by an apple product.

its gonna be pretty funny when this is infinity times better than siri and everyone realizes that the whole 4s with siri thing was actually a huge letdown.

Default Why are u here
    Quote Originally Posted by sphangman View Post
    Strange how you always sound like you were raped by an apple product.
    Hey android fanatic, why r u even on an iOS site trolling? Why don't u go and stick to your piece of cheap plastic wanna be iPhone? Google is the biggest thief. Face unlock. I know would say that google have it first, but guess what they stole it from the jailbreak app store. Aka Cydia. There would be no cheap iPhone clown that u owned if it wasn't for apple. U fag.

Quote Originally Posted by mamipig22 View Post
    Hey android fanatic, why r u even on an iOS site trolling? Why don't u go and stick to your piece of cheap plastic wanna be iPhone? Google is the biggest thief. Face unlock. I know would say that google have it first, but guess what they stole it from the jailbreak app store. Aka Cydia. There would be no cheap iPhone clown that u owned if it wasn't for apple. U fag.
    My God!!!! this is a apple sick!!!!!!
    Live Wire

Quote Originally Posted by mamipig22 View Post
    Wow, very mature. Calling someone on this forum a "fag". Thats what you do when someone has a different opinion then you? Call them names?

Besides he made some good points. Apple did not come up with Siri. If Siri did not exist on the 4s do you think the people that have upgraded to the 4s would have? Would you upgrade for the same looking phone for just a little more speed and a little better camera?
    Last edited by jasvncnt10; 12-16-2011 at 10:33 AM.

Android phones are like civics. Cheap as hell so Honda can sell a **** load of them.

An iPhone on the other hand is like a Lexus, built with quality materials and are a luxury so they are expensive and there are less of them on the road.

Both cars get you from point a to b. but if you can afford it wouldn't you rather go in style?

To one your own though.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by s0ulp1xel View Post
    No.
    Apple bought Siri, so no they did not work on Siri.
    Most likely Apple might have worked on their own voice control but not as good as Google's voice control, so they bought Siri because it was better than both.
    Looking forward to see what Majel has to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by gklein View Post
    Android phones are like civics. Cheap as hell so Honda can sell a **** load of them.

An iPhone on the other hand is like a Lexus, built with quality materials and are a luxury so they are expensive and there are less of them on the road.

Both cars get you from point a to b. but if you can afford it wouldn't you rather go in style?

To one your own though.
    Obviously have not seen higher quality phones that is out there with Android.
    Good thing about Android is there are many offerings from different manufacturer, lots of selections for all price ranges.
    What does Apple have for more economically challenged? Nothing.
    Last edited by unison999; 12-16-2011 at 02:19 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to unison999 For This Useful Post:

Channan (12-17-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    No.
    Apple bought Siri, so no they did not work on Siri.
    Most likely Apple might have worked on their own voice control but not as good as Google's voice control, so they bought Siri because it was better than both.
    Looking forward to see what Majel has to offer.

Obviously have not seen higher quality phones that is out there with Android.
    Good thing about Android is there are many offerings from different manufacturer, lots of selections for all price ranges.
    What does Apple have for more economically challenged? Nothing.
    But like I said, if you can afford a Lexus wouldn't you rather drive that than a Honda? If you can't afford it then don't get it that's pretty simple. I bet you I could find somebody that can name the infinite benefits of his civic and the same for an android phone. That's great for them. The iPhone is just something that works for me and I have the luxury of being able to afford the newest one each year and afford the expensive plan.

People try and live a champagne diet on a beer budget.

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post

WHY would they do that?

Am I wrong? Nope.
    First off yes, Apple bought Siri. But to say that they did not work on it is false. Apple did not purchase Siri then do nothing to it but add it to their phone. The Siri which is built into the the iPhone is leaps and bounds ahead of the Siri app which I used to use. Siri was a great starting point for Apple. And they did not steal it, they rightfully purchased it and have never once made the claim that it was their technology. They even kept the same name!!

And to say that the 4s is crap is just ignorant. It's a huge improvement from the iPhone 4. It has a dual core processor, two antennas which helps with dropped calls (first for any phone I think?), 1080p recording, far superior camera and lens than any other mobile phone. Lastly they came out with iOS 5 and Siri. Those are the icing on the cake, but the real greatness of the iPhone 4s is what lies underneath. And yes, iOS 5 has some features that you can say were copied, but to think that Apple is the only one who does that is plain stupidity. Companies give and take from each other, building off of each other while competing. That's what innovation is! It's not inventing something...that's invention.

I bet that had Apple made one more change, added a bigger screen, everyone would be ranting and raving about how great of a phone it is. Seems that people care more about the size of the screen than what makes up the phone. Go ahead and put a Porsche body on a VW bug...it's still a VW bug.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast