Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Siri Port Is Now Legally Possible Thanks to iOS 5.0.1 Revision

Quote Originally Posted by metaserph View Post
    Siri needs 4S authentication, based on a unique device id which is refreshed periodically. Porting the files and having Siri still does not bypass this requirement for it to work. Get clarity.
    There have been hacks around that. The problem is copyright and that is why a port hasn't been released.

Quote Originally Posted by metaserph View Post
    Siri needs 4S authentication, based on a unique device id which is refreshed periodically. Porting the files and having Siri still does not bypass this requirement for it to work. Get clarity.
    A lot of people already know that, but nobody was really able to release their GUI ports, that will get connection eventually, due to copyright. With this, it's not illegal anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    Hope it isn't a mess up by Apple such that they fix it with next update.
    It won't matter. They can still legally grab it from this version of 5.0.1

I find it highly ironic that a company that has been notorious for running a closed operating system and developer environment has all of a sudden left the iOS file system unprotected. I would advise anyone looking to use any files, especially Siri to tread very carefully. Think of it as someone owning a car and leaving the doors unlocked and the windows down. Just because the owner didn't lock the doors doesn't make it legal to take the car for a joyride. You are still playing with files that are Apple's intellectual property. Whether the files have been protected or not makes no difference at all. On top of that, you are still using Apple's servers to process the Siri commands in an unauthorized manner. The EFF has stated over and over that jailbreaking is legal, however unauthorized use of Apple's intellectual property, both servers and iOS files in a manner that violates the EULA are a totally different ballgame altogether. I doubt the end user of the port would ever have anything to fear, however they may very well be looking for a developer to make an example out of and have made it that much easier from their side by dropping the car keys on the seat.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PoEtikly's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by roger1079 View Post
    I find it highly ironic that a company that has been notorious for running a closed operating system and developer environment has all of a sudden left the iOS file system unprotected. I would advise anyone looking to use any files, especially Siri to tread very carefully. Think of it as someone owning a car and leaving the doors unlocked and the windows down. Just because the owner didn't lock the doors doesn't make it legal to take the car for a joyride. You are still playing with files that are Apple's intellectual property. Whether the files have been protected or not makes no difference at all. On top of that, you are still using Apple's servers to process the Siri commands in an unauthorized manner. The EFF has stated over and over that jailbreaking is legal, however unauthorized use of Apple's intellectual property, both servers and iOS files in a manner that violates the EULA are a totally different ballgame altogether. I doubt the end user of the port would ever have anything to fear, however they may very well be looking for a developer to make an example out of and have made it that much easier from their side by dropping the car keys on the seat.
    Very good point. Sure, it may sound like some conspiracy theory, but it could be very true. Maybe this is all they need to stop jailbreaking altogether.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Puka1701 View Post
    Siri is much too over hyped. I don't really find it to be very useful, and would appreciate a method to invoke the old Voice Control on my 4S (for when there's no Internet connection). Nonetheless, Siri on my 3GS would still be appreciated to keep things consistent. Although I feel I may have to 'port' it myself.
    I agree on the old voice control. I've wanted to just ask it to call someone while traveling in sketch ball signal spots and it can't look up a number. that's poor design. It shouldn't need data to search my device. I do like siri but would rather have my jb'd 4 back + siri.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyj29 View Post
    Apple relies on jail break community to come up with new ideas. I believe they opened it up to see what else could be done with Siri and how it could be improved. Just like iOS 5.0, most of the new improvements have been around for awhile on jail broke phones.
    If that's true then why did they make it so hard to JB the 4S and iPad 2?

Thanks

To prevent piracy
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

I have a question about Siri port....after I downloaded it and put he certificate on there none of my apps will work I try and open them but then they take long like their going to open and instead of opening they crash? Am I doing something wrong or does anyone have a solution?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123