+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Microsoft Releases SkyDrive Application for iPhone

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
How many of you know what Microsoft SkyDrive is? Apple has a cloud system known as iCloud as you are all well acquainted with by now. But one thing is
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 767 Posts

Default Microsoft Releases SkyDrive Application for iPhone

How many of you know what Microsoft SkyDrive is?

Apple has a cloud system known as iCloud as you are all well acquainted with by now. But one thing is for sure – 5GB of free storage isn't a whole lot and additionally, you're really limited with what you can do with your storage. There are alternatives for people who hate limits such as Box, DropBox, and SkyDrive. SkyDrive is Microsoft's version of iCloud that comes with 25GB of free storage and is free for anyone who has a Windows Live ID. Making a Windows Live ID is free.

Microsoft has just released (literally, JUST released) SkyDrive for iPhone. It's an application that lets you manage your SkyDrive files on the go and it maintains the 25GB storage limit as it would on any computer. SkyDrive is free in the Apple App Store right now and you can download it by searching, "SkyDrive" (or clicking here) but you will see that it has no ratings just yet because it's so fresh off of the press. When you download and open SkyDrive and then you sign into your Windows Live ID, you will be welcomed by a screen that displays all of your Microsoft SkyDrive files and folders:

Because Apple has iOS locked into a closed filesystem, using this application is limited. But, if you're jailbroken and you use applications like Safari Download Manager, Safari Upload Enabler, and iFile, then this has the potential to be a very useful application for you. You can access your Microsoft SkyDrive through Mobile Safari where you can upload files with Safari Upload Enabler to your SkyDrive, or you can download files with Safari Download Manager from your SkyDrive. Additionally, you would be able to manage your local files with iFile. You could even use AnyAttach to send any of your SkyDrive files that you download in an email. Think of all of the possibilities of SkyDrive when you're jailbroken...

Here is the control panel of SkyDrive from a computer using a Web browser:

Will you be downloading the free SkyDrive from the App Store? Share in the comments below!

Source: App Store
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 12-13-2011 at 12:37 PM.

Thanks

Downloaded it! Not sure why it's taken so long for Microsoft to roll out these apps! Will need to add some tweaks as described to make it worth while!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    DropBox and Box.net can't do it, so I got SkyDrive hoping I could batch upload files from my iPhone. Nope. Still don't get why that limitation is there.

Thanks

Wish it could upload more than one pic at a time pretty bad that it does not let you .other than that 25gb of storage wow happy chappy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AfterMercyFM View Post
    DropBox and Box.net can't do it, so I got SkyDrive hoping I could batch upload files from my iPhone. Nope. Still don't get why that limitation is there.
    I don't think Apple's API lets apps import more than one photo at a time.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    FIRST!!!!
    Seriously? Come on! Who does this anymore?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Sweet! Thanks for the post.
    -Luke

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

25GB free!!!!! I might switch instead of using dropbox.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Definitely may download this for the extra storage space. Goodreader is really the best app to use concerning this stuff. Since you can upload and download anything you want with goodreader, it makes the dropbox, box skydrives apps obsolete

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow! Your the first one to make a post on this forum of thousands of post! You just won... oh yeah, nothing.
    First to post, last to finish...

I am going to download this just for the space... and when the 4S gets it's jailbreak I will use it the way you should be able too.
    I sure miss my JB on my previous iPhones.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Mmmmmm I don't want skydive cause it's not a backup but it will make apple give more memory for free so yay!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    Bingo. I don't know how other apps (Batch immediately comes to mind) get around it, but they do... love to see how that works out.

I'm personally having a bit of trouble getting photo uploads working on my phone... ah, good ole MS.

--Skydrive is nice because it offers a crap-ton of free space (25 GB just for signing up--SWEET) and is very laissez-faire about what can be uploaded and shared. The app is also incredibly speedy and not bad looking (again using the Metro UI akin to the Xbox LIVE iOS app).

No short domain (it's a very long and bland URL, a.k.a. no fun), no Universal support at the moment, and aforementioned upload restrictions/bugs make this a PITA. Also, not many third party apps on iOS support this (yet?) so Dropbox still has quite the advantage there.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    Welp, you're probably right. I don't see any reason why developers of all the cloud based storage apps would impose such an annoying limitation. But if it's built into the API itself, it makes sense that the apps have to play by the rules. Thanks for clearing the air on the by the way. I was really starting to get frustrated on finding an app to do what I want. Search. Over.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AfterMercyFM View Post
    Welp, you're probably right. I don't see any reason why developers of all the cloud based storage apps would impose such an annoying limitation. But if it's built into the API itself, it makes sense that the apps have to play by the rules. Thanks for clearing the air on the by the way. I was really starting to get frustrated on finding an app to do what I want. Search. Over.
    Orby said there are some apps that get around it though. I found one that he mentioned, but it's for Facebook.
    Last edited by Zokunei; 12-13-2011 at 08:16 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DaLsim's Avatar
    Thanks

Mod edit... Clean it up! PG-13 site
    Last edited by Broomhead; 12-13-2011 at 08:20 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaLsim View Post
    Mod edit... Clean it up! PG-13 site
    Thank you!

Thanks

Finally! I was waiting for this long time ago!

Thanks

Brilliant for my jailbreak toolkit. Now i can take it everywere with me. (its usefull to me). Tried uploading pre-signed ifaith firmwares but took 2 long.