+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: NPD Finds Android, Apple in Control of 82% of Smartphone OS Market

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default NPD Finds Android, Apple in Control of 82% of Smartphone OS Market

On Tuesday, leading market research firm NPD dished on the current state of the smartphone world by revealing just how dominant the mobile industry's two giants truly are across the contemporary global smartphone landscape.

According to NPD, Android’s operating system share of smartphone sales grew to more than half of the U.S. smartphone market (53 percent) from January through October 2011, while Apple’s iOS share grew to reach 29 percent of the market. If you do the math, you'll find that Apple and Android collectively retain an 82% share of the market.

Falling dismally from the top smartphone radar is RIM’s OS share, which continues to fall and presently sits at just 11%.

All told, however, Android's market share continues to grow at a pace slightly faster than Apple's. During the past twelve months, Android's market share grew from 42% to 53%, while iOS climbed from 21% to 29%.

“The competitive landscape for smartphones, which has been reshaped by Apple and Google, has ultimately forced every major handset provider through a major transition,” says Ross Rubin, executive director, Connected Intelligence for The NPD Group. “For many of them, 2012 will be a critical year in assessing how effective their responses have been.”

Source: NPD

Banned
    Thanks

82% between the two of them and they can think of nothing better to do than to sue each other !! really sad.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Truckerbear's Avatar
    Thanks

This is so skewed by the fact there is lots of phones/manufactures with Android on only one phone with iOS. Give a Android user a iPhone for a week and I bet 50% would drop Android in a heartbeat. The other 50% don't understand a phone anyways. I know I use both and I get so tired of my Android phone being so glitchy and easily become bored with it. Yes its rooted yes its free of bloatware yes its technically comparable to my iPhone. Now my iPhone its super intuitive and easy to use. Hands down there is no comparison. And I am not a fan boy iPhones/iPads are the only Apple device I own.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Your argument about there being many manufacturers with Android vs only 1 with Apple is inane because both the iPhone and Android devices are available basically everywhere. There are a lot of factors that would be considered if you wanted to accurately compare the two such as Manufacturer, OS, availability, brand loyalty, cost etc.

Give a Android user a iPhone for a week and I bet 50% would drop Android in a heartbeat. The other 50% don't understand a phone anyways.
    ^^^ Means either EVERYONE either doesn't know what a smartphone is(hence they don't have an iPhone) and that ALL Android users dont have an iPhone because they have never used one... To summarize this quote it basically says you are a iPhone fanboy.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckerbear View Post
    This is so skewed by the fact there is lots of phones/manufactures with Android on only one phone with iOS. Give a Android user a iPhone for a week and I bet 50% would drop Android in a heartbeat. The other 50% don't understand a phone anyways. I know I use both and I get so tired of my Android phone being so glitchy and easily become bored with it. Yes its rooted yes its free of bloatware yes its technically comparable to my iPhone. Now my iPhone its super intuitive and easy to use. Hands down there is no comparison. And I am not a fan boy iPhones/iPads are the only Apple device I own.
    It's more skewed by the fact that NPD only reflects sales in the retail channel and does not represent a HUGE chunk of the market, namely, corporate and direct sales.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Truckerbear View Post
    Wow...what a troll

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NegativeBeef View Post
    Wow...what a troll
    Stating that you aren't a fan boy means you are more than likely a fan boy