+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Giveaway] CallTell: Know Who's Calling Or Texting Before Your iPhone Rings!

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
CallTell tells you who's calling or texting! CallTell is a jailbreak application that tells you who is calling or texting you as soon as they do it. It uses the
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default [Giveaway] CallTell: Know Who's Calling Or Texting Before Your iPhone Rings!

CallTell tells you who's calling or texting!

CallTell is a jailbreak application that tells you who is calling or texting you as soon as they do it. It uses the Siri/Voice Control voice to read off the name of the person contacting you and then if it's a text message it can read you the text message. The developer behind this genius application is Tyler Calderone.

CallTell supports the iPhone 4 (GSM and CDMA) as well as the iPhone 3GS and has been updated to work with Apple's newest iOS 5 so that we can have this awesome feature on iOS 5. With the Chronic Dev Teams' untethered jaibreak coming right up, developers have even more motivation to being out cool jailbreak applications such as CallTell to the market. CallTell's idea is simple; to notify you who is contacting you before your iPhone does. This can be useful if your iPhone is in your pocket and you're too lazy to take it out but you want to know who has texted you and what they said. In that case, just listen for Samantha's voice (the Siri/Voice Control voice). CallTell has numerous settings to configure:

For one, and probably the most important feature of CallTell, you can enable and disable it on demand. This means that if you're going into a quiet area such as a classroom or a meeting, you can silence CallTell so that it doesn't become an interruption. Once you are out of the quiet zone, you are free to enable it again without having to respring your device for it to start working again.

CallTell works with many languages; but Samantha's voice is all that there is to choose from. You can choose where your sounds come from whether you want it to come through the iPhone's speakers, your headphones, a bluetooth headset, and more. You also have the ability to use an Activator action to silence the voice as it is speaking. You can adjust the speech volume to your liking.

As you can see from the three large button rows, you can select between options of when you will hear the voice. One of the big features is to be able to enable the voice notification either when your iPhone is on vibrate, on ring, or both. Additionally, you can choose to hear the voice either when you're locked, unlocked, or both. Lastly, you can choose to hear the voice either when in the middle of a call, when not in the middle of a call, or both. These customizations offer you more controls over the environment around you and when you will be able to enable or disable the feature accordingly.

After that you see the ability to choose how CallTell interacts with your calls and messages. You can choose to have CallTell say the name of the texter and say the message, or you can customize what it actually does say. The settings are separate for both calls and text messages so you will need to configure each to your own liking. You can even set CallTell settings for third party applications.

Below, I've recorded a demonstration of CallTell voicing one of my text messages:

I have to say, I think CallTell is one of the cooler applications out there on Cydia right now! I absolutely love this.

Name: CallTell for 3GS and i4
    Price: $1.99
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Tyler Calderone
    Version: 4.0
    Editor's Rating:  5/5

The Giveaway!

Tyler was generous to give away TEN copies of CallTell to the lucky readers of Modmyi. Here's how to enter:

Follow me @BouchardAnthony
    Follow ModMyi @Modmyi
    Retweet this article with your Cydia number in the tweet; if you do not have the Cydia number in your tweet, you will be disqualified from the drawing. Within the tweet you must also mention @BouchardAnthony so that I can easily see who has entered the drawing. If you don't mention me, you will also be disqualified. The tweet must include the following text, "I entered a contest to win CallTell a voice notifier for iPhone!"

Winners will be announced on Wednesday, December 14. Good luck to all of you that enter!

What do you think about CallTell? Share in the comments below!

Sources: Tyler Calderone

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

The best guess I heard for a jailbreak was when iOS 5 was released, they said between now and Christmas, It's sounded pretty sound to me and it looks like it will be an awesome Christmas present from/to the jailbreak community!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

nice app.. i just got it

Thanks

Default iAnnounce
    For those just looking for incoming call announcements (and not text messages), I'd recommend iAnnounce in the Big Boss repo. It's free but doesn't have all the features of this new app.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

someone answer this .. why would I want other people to hear my texts ? What if they are bad ?? Like a text from your wife/gf

Green Apple
    Thanks

Paid but server times out

iPhone? More like MyPhone badass1469's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andrewe13 View Post
    someone answer this .. why would I want other people to hear my texts ? What if they are bad ?? Like a text from your wife/gf
    good thing ur only 12.. lol jk had to say that. but srsly this is very old, ive had it for over a year now dunno why its on this as news because its not very new.
    damn drug dealers, and there jailbroken iPhones... ____ Hit the thanks if you think i suck

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by badass1469 View Post
    good thing ur only 12.. lol jk had to say that. but srsly this is very old, ive had it for over a year now dunno why its on this as news because its not very new.
    Never realized that CallTell for iOS 5 wasn't new. I could have sworn it only worked on iOS 4. Plus a giveaway.

Thanks

I think you can choose whether you want it to read your txts or not.

C'mon iOS5 jb for iPad 2 and 4S!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Never realized that CallTell for iOS 5 wasn't new. I could have sworn it only worked on iOS 4. Plus a giveaway.
    Kind of a snarky comeback.

Banned
    Thanks

This looks like that app for 4.* call announce

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Has this thing been fixed to work with BiteSMS yet? Downloaded it before, and it worked great for calls, but because I use BiteSMS it never worked for texts. If they have got that working, then I might have to invest again.

Thanks

its a great app to turn on while driving to work. i usually play music from ip4 to my stereo. now incoming texts are read out load. you can always turn it off it you dont want it on.

iPhone? More like MyPhone carlbgc's Avatar
    Thanks

Needs an SB Setting toggle.

Do annoying having to go into settings every time you get in the car.

Thanks

If you go to settings, Message string...remove {message} from that line. Now all it says is the name, and not the message.
    That's how I roll!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Shoutout to Tyler Calderone and Anthony Bouchard, thanks for choosing me as a winner for CallTell . . .

Green Apple
    Thanks

This app seems very useful... Can't wait to try it out

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Only problem I found is that he's removed the message delay so it's gone back to the message from goes over the top of the text tone, the previous ver you could set up a delay so it did the tone first then tell u who's texting, rather anoying

Thanks

this works great with the ipod on the ip4. it stops the music and you can hear the incoming sms or caller id. but when your using pandora, it does not lower the music. in fact, it raises the volume of pandora and then talks over it. it would be better if it stopped the music then started talking.