+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [How To] Use the Custom iFaith Firmware File to Restore Back to iOS 5.0

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Once you've built your iOS 5.0 custom firmware, downgrading is easy. As I reported earlier this week, iH8sn0w released iFaith version 1.4 which allows you to save your iOS 5.0
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default [How To] Use the Custom iFaith Firmware File to Restore Back to iOS 5.0

Once you've built your iOS 5.0 custom firmware, downgrading is easy.

As I reported earlier this week, iH8sn0w released iFaith version 1.4 which allows you to save your iOS 5.0 SHSH blobs and APticket so that you can create a custom iOS 5.0 firmware file to use in downgrading your iDevice back to iOS 5.0. The guide on saving your iOS 5.0 SHSH blobs and APticket can be read here. iFaith works with iOS 5.0.1 too. But since people are nervous that the Chronic Dev Team's untethered jailbreak for iOS 5 might not work with iOS 5.0.1, there is all the more reason to just play it safe and get insurance for iOS 5.0 as I like to call it. Since we just posted a guide on how to make the custom iOS 5.0 firmware, this guide will show you how to use the firmware to restore to iOS 5.0 on your iDevice.

Just a heads up, if you're on iOS 5.0.1 right now and you didn't bother to save your APticket for iOS 5.0, then you can't use this guide to get on iOS 5.0. Since I was anxious to get off of Windows, I will be using Redsn0w to put the device in Pwned DFU mode in this tutorial. Windows users can use either Redsn0w or iFaith to go into Pwned DFU mode. This guide will be using Redsn0w and Windows users can do the same thing as I am doing here on my Mac.

YOU WILL NEED:
    1. Redsn0w 0.9.9b8 (or newer) Mac Download, Windows Download
    2. Your custom '.ipsw' file from this guide
    3. The iOS 5.0 or iOS 5.0.1 iDevice that was used to make the iOS 5.0 custom firmware
    4. iTunes 10.5.1

Once you have everything, plug your iDevice into your computer and download redsn0w from the link above. Once you unzip it, open it and click on the Extras button:

From the next menu that pops up, select the '.ipsw' file for your iDevice. I suggest using the legitimate iOS 5.0 file instead of the custom one:

After you do that, Redsn0w will give you a message saying that it's verified the '.ipsw' file and that it will be used for the rest of the duration that you use Redsn0w (which means it will be used until you close it). Now, click on the Pwned DFU button to put your iDevice into Pwned DFU mode. Pwned DFU mode is a mode on the iDevice that will allow it to accept custom '.ipsw' files and not just the stock ones that Apple releases:

After you click that button, you will be asked to put your iDevice into DFU mode. Putting your iDevice into DFU mode is simple. You can follow the on-screen instructions of iFaith, or you can just hold down Power and Home for 10 seconds, then let go of Power and continue holding Home for about 15 seconds. Once you are in DFU mode, Redsn0w will start automatically:

Once Redsn0w finishes, you will get a message that says your device is in Pwned DFU mode. If it didn't work then you didn't put your iDevice into DFU mode correctly:

Now that your iDevice is in Pwned DFU mode, open iTunes. You will see a popup that says that your iDevice is in Recovery mode. Just ignore it and hold down (Shift for Windows, Option for Mac) and click restore. Navigate to where you saved your custom '.ipsw' file from this guide and click open:

iTunes will do the rest, your iDevice will begin to restore:

When you select the custom '.ipsw' file and begin the restore, you will know it's working if you see the iFaith logo appear on your iDevice while it's restoring instead of the usual Apple. Just wait until it completes, it could take a few minutes:

Congratulations, you've Pwned Apple. Your iDevice should now be restored on iOS 5.0:

Now that you have a fresh install of iOS 5.0, you will be able to use the PC-free option to set up your iDevice or you can use iTunes. It's your choice. Additionally, since it's a fresh install, you can wait for the untethered jailbreak that the Chronic Dev Team will be releasing soon, or you can rejailbreak tethered right now and restore again when the untethered jailbreak is released.

How did this guide work for you? Remember that this is part two of the other guide linked in this article. You must follow both for it to work. Share in the comments below!

Sources: iH8sn0w

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

ChSchuldiner (12-10-2011)

My iPhone is a Part of Me PoEtikly's Avatar
    Thanks

Thank you for this Anthony. This is exactly what I thought, but wanted to make sure that I had everything correct before updating to 5.0.1 to save those APTickets as well, then I'll restore back 5.0. I just want to be safe and have the APTickets for both just in case something happens and I'll be covered. Thanks again!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,117 Times in 2,706 Posts

Great, just did it, works like a charm!
    @Metaserph
    "You can only attain Peace through spreading Love to create Unity and earn the Respect of others" - Complex Simplicity

Thanks

So in order to have had gotten the 5.0 AP ticket required what exactly did I need to do before? Use tinyumbrella? Because I never did for 5.0 so I guess that means I have no SHSH files for 5.0 right? So Im screwed, right? Im still on 4.2.6 by the way. Do I just update to 5.0.1 so I dont get stuck on 5.1? Because for some reason tinyumbrella wouldnt save my 5.0.1 SHSH. Can iFaith save my 5.0.1 SHSH so hopefully pod2g's potential untethered 5.0.1 JB can be used?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If you are tethered on iOS 5.0 with the 01.59.00 baseband, will the baseband be preserved just in case things go awry and you have to restore? I tried pointing iFaith towards the custom sn0wbreeze firmware I created to see what would happen and it wouldn't accept it. Now I'm in the process of creating the custom firmware with iFaith.

Let me know guys!
    Last edited by JORDAN™; 12-09-2011 at 10:42 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 888 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SnowLeo View Post
    So in order to have had gotten the 5.0 AP ticket required what exactly did I need to do before? Use tinyumbrella? Because I never did for 5.0 so I guess that means I have no SHSH files for 5.0 right? So Im screwed, right? Im still on 4.2.6 by the way. Do I just update to 5.0.1 so I dont get stuck on 5.1? Because for some reason tinyumbrella wouldnt save my 5.0.1 SHSH. Can iFaith save my 5.0.1 SHSH so hopefully pod2g's potential untethered 5.0.1 JB can be used?
    You can use the newest version of TinyUmbrella to save your 5.0.1 blobs and tickets without upgrading.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    You can use the newest version of TinyUmbrella to save your 5.0.1 blobs and tickets without upgrading.
    Can you please explain how? I installed TinyUmbrella last night for the purpose of trying to save my 5.0 and 5.0.1 blobs and tickets, but it only saved those for iOS 4.x.

I'm running 4.1 on an iPhone 4.

Banned
    Thanks

I tried pointing iFaith towards the custom sn0wbreeze firmware I created to see what would happen and it wouldn't accept it.

Thanks

First question, do you have to be jailbroke to dump the APTickets with iFaith v1.4?
    And I have my 5.0.1 shsh blobs saved through TU but when I try to create a custom ipsw from them with iFaith it doesn't even acknowledge that they're a file. The popup comes up but when I go to select the blob in the window they do not show unless iFaith has produced them. So since I already have my APTickets for 5.0 saved from iFaith Im going to update to 5.0.1 so I can save those through IFaith as well and then restore back to 5.0, which is why I want know if I have to JB on 5.0.1 to dump those APTickets with iFaith.....anybody?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Is there a way I can get to 5.0?
    Im still on 4.3.3

Thanks

Everything is pretty straight forward but people do need 'step by step' instructions so this is great! Thanks for putting this together anthony!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,117 Times in 2,706 Posts

@PoEtikly , you don't have to be jailbroke to use iFaith. I updated to 5.0.1, saved aptickets and blobs, then jailbroke with Redsnow. Make sure you select the 5.0 ipsw to jb on 5.0.1 though. It will work and you have 5.0.1 blobs saved.
    @Metaserph
    "You can only attain Peace through spreading Love to create Unity and earn the Respect of others" - Complex Simplicity

iPhone? More like MyPhone GrandMasterB's Avatar
    Thanks

I have done this several times and it has worked perfectly every time except I cannot jailbreak the downgraded 5.0 with sn0wbreeze, iTunes get a 3194 error every time. Downgrades fine, just refuses to jailbreak. Any ideas?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GrandMasterB View Post
    I have done this several times and it has worked perfectly every time except I cannot jailbreak the downgraded 5.0 with sn0wbreeze, iTunes get a 3194 error every time. Downgrades fine, just refuses to jailbreak. Any ideas?
    Use Redsn0w to jailbreak. Sn0wbreeze IPSW files will no longer work for any firmware except 5.0.1 at the moment. I'm hoping iH8sn0w will update sn0wbreeze or combine it with iFaith, because I as well prefer sn0wbreeze. iH8sn0w will be on top of this soon, for sure! He's awesome!

Livin the iPhone Life R.Mortera's Avatar
    Thanks

I'll just wait till the chronic dev team release their untethered jailbreak.

iPhone? More like MyPhone GrandMasterB's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iSteveO View Post
    Use Redsn0w to jailbreak. Sn0wbreeze IPSW files will no longer work for any firmware except 5.0.1 at the moment. I'm hoping iH8sn0w will update sn0wbreeze or combine it with iFaith, because I as well prefer sn0wbreeze. iH8sn0w will be on top of this soon, for sure! He's awesome!
    Thank you very much for your reply.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PoEtikly View Post
    First question, do you have to be jailbroke to dump the APTickets with iFaith v1.4?
    And I have my 5.0.1 shsh blobs saved through TU but when I try to create a custom ipsw from them with iFaith it doesn't even acknowledge that they're a file. The popup comes up but when I go to select the blob in the window they do not show unless iFaith has produced them. So since I already have my APTickets for 5.0 saved from iFaith Im going to update to 5.0.1 so I can save those through IFaith as well and then restore back to 5.0, which is why I want know if I have to JB on 5.0.1 to dump those APTickets with iFaith.....anybody?
    No need to jb to dump blobs. You'll be all good.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandMasterB View Post
    Thank you very much for your reply.
    No problem! Glad to help, and appreciate the gratitude!

Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
    Can you please explain how? I installed TinyUmbrella last night for the purpose of trying to save my 5.0 and 5.0.1 blobs and tickets, but it only saved those for iOS 4.x.

I'm running 4.1 on an iPhone 4.
    In the "advanced" tab of TU, you need to uncheck the "reguest SHSH from Cydia" box so TU gets the blob with APT for 5.0.1 from apple since they are still signing it. Cydia only has your blobs for firmwares lower than iOS 5.

Quote Originally Posted by iSteveO View Post
    No need to jb to dump blobs. You'll be all good.

No problem! Glad to help, and appreciate the gratitude!

In the "advanced" tab of TU, you need to uncheck the "reguest SHSH from Cydia" box so TU gets the blob with APT for 5.0.1 from apple since they are still signing it. Cydia only has your blobs for firmwares lower than iOS 5.
    And it's too late if you haven't already saved your 5.0 blobs. The only way to get the 5.0 SHSH with APT, at this point is to be on 5.0 and use iFaith, but you can't do that because you are still on iOS 4. The best you can hope for is that @pod2g or @musclenerd's exploit will work on 5.0.1.

Quote Originally Posted by JORDAN™ View Post
    If you are tethered on iOS 5.0 with the 01.59.00 baseband, will the baseband be preserved just in case things go awry and you have to restore? I tried pointing iFaith towards the custom sn0wbreeze firmware I created to see what would happen and it wouldn't accept it. Now I'm in the process of creating the custom firmware with iFaith.

Let me know guys!
    All of iH8sn0w's software preserves your current baseband, including sn0wbreeze and iFaith. Your bb will only be updated if you use the stock apple IPSW to restore. Good luck!

If you want iOS 5, at this point, you will have to go with 5.0.1. Since you have Verizon, you will need to clean restore your device to iOS 5.0.1 WHILE APPLE IS STILL SIGNING IT!! With CDMA, you need to let apple update your baseband or your phone will have no or intermittent service. CDMA is different from GSM regarding baseband. GSM seems to function fine on any bb

If you want iOS 5, at this point, you will have to go with 5.0.1. Since you have Verizon, you will need to clean restore your device to iOS 5.0.1 WHILE APPLE IS STILL SIGNING IT!! With CDMA, you need to let apple update your baseband or your phone will have no or intermittent service. CDMA is different from GSM regarding baseband. GSM seems to function fine on any bb with any firmware; CDMA does not work like that, and I don't know why. Keep in mind that once you update, your bb will be for iOS 5 and you will no longer be able to go back to iOS 4 without the terrible service problems. IFaith only saves you SHSH+APT for the firmware you are currently running. Therefore, after you update to 5.0.1 you will be able to save this SHSH only (with iFaith). To get TU to save your 5.0.1 SHSH, you need to uncheck the "Request SHSH from Cydia" button under the "Advanced" tab. This is useless for you though because the only way iOS 5 will work properly on CDMA is if Apple updates your bb, which iFaith & sn0wbreeze will not do. If you don't want to be stuck on iOS 4, I suggest you clean restore with a stock 5.0.1 IPSW before apple stops signing it, then tether jailbreak with either Redsn0w, or by re-restoring with a sn0wbreeze custom firmware after you've done the clean restore. I have CDMA also, and went through these baseband issues when I first updated to 5.0; so trust me on this one, or try playing around with it to test for yourself... I hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by papiimao View Post
    Is there a way I can get to 5.0?
    Im still on 4.3.3
    In a word, no. You're only option at this point in time is 5.0.1, and pray that @pod2g or @musclenerd's exploits work for 5.0.1, which it seems like they might. Never lose hope! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by pagehere View Post
    I tried pointing iFaith towards the custom sn0wbreeze firmware I created to see what would happen and it wouldn't accept it.
    I tried this too! Lol... Hopefully iH8sn0w will integrate these 2 tools into 1 software. He actually alluded to it in a recent tweet, so I think that's coming down the pike! I love iH8sn0w's software; it all works perfectly (if you know what you're doing, lol)!
    Last edited by iSteveO; 12-10-2011 at 10:01 AM.

Thanks

Thanks so much iSteveO! Guess I'll just go ahead and restore to 5.0.1 update bb and use tiny umbrella or iFaith. But just to be sure- In order to update my baseband to the latest version I would need to be on 5.0.1 because I could've swore i remembered getting a notification to update my baseband in the past month or so and I went ahead and did it. If I could update to the latest baseband and use tiny umbrella to save the SHSH would I still need to restore?

Is there a way to check in the settings if I have the latest baseband?
    Last edited by SnowLeo; 12-10-2011 at 10:13 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thanks so much iSteveO! Guess I'll just go ahead and restore to 5.0.1 update bb and use tiny umbrella or iFaith. But just to be sure- In order to update my baseband to the latest version I would need to be on 5.0.1 because I could've swore i remembered getting a notification to update my baseband in the past month or so and I went ahead and did it. If I could update to the latest baseband and use tiny umbrella to save the SHSH would I still need to restore?

Is there a way to check in the settings if I have the latest baseband?
    The update you did on your phone was a "Carrier Update," and does not really have anything to do with the baseband. The baseband is only updated during a restore/update using a stock Apple IPSW, or if you use a software to update to the iPad bb (6.15.00), and I don't know if this works on the CDMA iPhone. You baseband is listed in Settings->General, and is called "Modem Firmware." In this same section in settings, you will see "Carrier." This "Carrier" version is what you recently updated (probably from 9.8 or 10.1 to 10.2 or 11.1). This Carrier Update does not matter to the jailbreak, as they are always safe to do. Back to the baseband; it's not about being on the "latest" bb, it's about being on the correct bb for your iOS (only with CDMA, not GSM). The bb on the Verizon phone seems to only change with "major" iOS updates like going from 4.2 up to 5.0, but doesn't change going from 4.2.6 to 4.2.8, for instance. If you want iOS 5.0.1 to work on your phone you have to let Apple update this "Modem Firmware" (AKA baseband) by using a stock IPSW. It will more than likely update it from whatever it is now (I think 1.0.06 or something like that) to baseband 3.0.03. You will never get a pop-up on your phone requesting you to update your "Modem Frimware," only carrier updates. After you update to iOS 5 you will probably get another one of these "Carrier Updates," and it is fine to accept this update. With CDMA, we have very few options regarding this issue. You can use your current bb on any iOS 4.2 version, and I'm pretty sure you can use the iOS 5.0 bb on any 5.0 version (5.0, 5.0.1, or 5.0.2), but not on the upcoming 5.1. In short, if you want iOS 5 you have to stock update to iOS 5.0.1 with a clean IPSW.

FYI, the tethered jailbreak is extremely stable, and with the new Semi-Tether option you don't have to worry about being stranded without even a phone. I was very scared of going off of my safe untethered iOS 4.2.8 jailbreak up to the tethered iOS 5 jailbreak, but I was pleasantly surprised by its performance. I can't make the decision for you, but I recommend that you update to iOS 5.0.1 ASAP, before the signing window closes when 5.1 is released publicly, and hope @pod2g or @musclenerd's exploits work for it. I hope this helps you figure things out and that I didn't confuse you worse! lol

Thanks

Ok so I have my 5.0 APTickets dumped and actually haves used them and restored 5.0, but now I'm going to update 5.0.1 so I can save those as well, but when I choose the ipsw (apple original) for 5.0.1 it says:

"the iPhone xxxxxxxx could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible.

Anybody know what that's about? I even downloaded it from Modmyi. This is the exact name of file:

iPhone3,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore.ipsw

I have an iPhone 4 GSM that is currently on 5.0 which is done from a custom ipsw from iFaith. Anybody know what's going on?