+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [How To] Use the Custom iFaith Firmware File to Restore Back to iOS 5.0

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by PoEtikly Ok so I have my 5.0 APTickets dumped and actually haves used them and restored 5.0, but now I'm going to update 5.0.1 so I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,189 Times in 6,972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoEtikly View Post
    Ok so I have my 5.0 APTickets dumped and actually haves used them and restored 5.0, but now I'm going to update 5.0.1 so I can save those as well, but when I choose the ipsw (apple original) for 5.0.1 it says:

"the iPhone xxxxxxxx could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible.

Anybody know what that's about? I even downloaded it from Modmyi. This is the exact name of file:

iPhone3,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore.ipsw

I have an iPhone 4 GSM that is currently on 5.0 which is done from a custom ipsw from iFaith. Anybody know what's going on?
    Everything sounds right. The firmware has a white cube-like icon right?

My iPhone is a Part of Me PoEtikly's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Everything sounds right. The firmware has a white cube-like icon right?
    Yes. I'm going to try to download it directly from iTunes but I don't like the fact I can't get it to work through Shift + restore or update (I tried both and get the same message). I'm not sure what's going on

Ok I've restarted pc, rebooted/boot tethered iPhone 4 and I get the same error. Has anybody used iFaith to restore to 5.0 while on 5.0 and then tried updating to 5.0.1? I'm beginning to wonder if that's been tested and if it won't allow to. That would suck! I'd forever be stuck on 5.0. I cannot figure out any other way. There's only one more option and I'm waiting for the ipsw to be downloaded straight through iTunes. I've downloaded the ipsw from 3 other sources and I always get the same message as before, that the firmware is not compatible with this device.
    Last edited by PoEtikly; 12-10-2011 at 12:20 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,122 Times in 2,709 Posts

Poet, update to 5.0.1, then save your blobs and apticket with iFaith. Then open Redsn0w, select the 5.0 ipsw, then jailbreak. Shut off the iPhone, select again the 5.0 ipsw (while you're still on 5.0.1) then Just boot. You will boot into 5.0.1 jb'd.
    Why do you want to restore to 5.0 when you're already on 5.0? Curious.
    @Metaserph
    "You can only attain Peace through spreading Love to create Unity and earn the Respect of others" - Complex Simplicity

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by metaserph View Post
    Poet, update to 5.0.1, then save your blobs and apticket with iFaith. Then open Redsn0w, select the 5.0 ipsw, then jailbreak. Shut off the iPhone, select again the 5.0 ipsw (while you're still on 5.0.1) then Just boot. You will boot into 5.0.1 jb'd.
    Why do you want to restore to 5.0 when you're already on 5.0? Curious.
    You're misunderstanding. I'm 5.0 and I've saved my APTickets already and had to use it to restore because my phone messed up trying to use that h1 Siri crap. Now I'm trying to update to 5.0.1 so I can also save those APTickets and then I'll restore back down to 5.0 after I do that. But when I'm trying to update to 5.0.1 from 5.0 it tells me that the firmware is not compatible. I've downloaded the file from 3 different sources and I get the same message everytime and it won't update to 5.0.1. I've tried choosing the ipsw through shift + restore and shift + update but always the same:

iPhone "Nathan's iPhone 4" cannot be restored/updated because firmware is not compatible

So im wondering if using that custom ipsw from iFaith has some how messed up my phone and won't let me update now. It worked great restoring to 5.0 (while on 5.0), but I have no idea what the problem is now. I'm downloading the ipsw straight through iTunes right now (7 hour download) to see if that works, but I'm not sure how because I downloaded the ipsw for iPhone 4 5.0.1 from 3 very reliable sources including modmyi that all give me the firmware not compatible message
    Last edited by PoEtikly; 12-10-2011 at 12:55 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,122 Times in 2,709 Posts

Poet, now I get you. Wow, never heard of that. Does sound like the Siri hack might have screwed something. Hope this last download works for you. Keep us posted, maybe something clicks and you can come through.
    @Metaserph
    "You can only attain Peace through spreading Love to create Unity and earn the Respect of others" - Complex Simplicity

iPhone? More like MyPhone GrandMasterB's Avatar
    Thanks

You're misunderstanding. I'm 5.0 and I've saved my APTickets already and had to use it to restore because my phone messed up trying to use that h1 Siri crap. Now I'm trying to update to 5.0.1 so I can also save those APTickets and then I'll restore back down to 5.0 after I do that. But when I'm trying to update to 5.0.1 from 5.0 it tells me that the firmware is not compatible. I've downloaded the file from 3 different sources and I get the same message everytime and it won't update to 5.0.1. I've tried choosing the ipsw through shift + restore and shift + update but always the same:

iPhone "Nathan's iPhone 4" cannot be restored/updated because firmware is not compatible

So im wondering if using that custom ipsw from iFaith has some how messed up my phone and won't let me update now. It worked great restoring to 5.0 (while on 5.0), but I have no idea what the problem is now. I'm downloading the ipsw straight through iTunes right now (7 hour download) to see if that works, but I'm not sure how because I downloaded the ipsw for iPhone 4 5.0.1 from 3 very reliable sources including modmyi that all give me the firmware not compatible message
    I don't think it will just allow you to just update if your already modded and jailbroken. I think you have to "restore" in itunes, that will wipe everything and then update to 5.0.1. Thats how I have done it 2x now. Back up then "restore" in iTunes to update to 5.0.1, then dump your blobs and ticket and use sn0wbreeze to downgrade and then restore your backup in iTunes.

It takes a couple hours to do it all but it worked for my Verizon iPhone. Good luck!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by metaserph View Post
    Poet, now I get you. Wow, never heard of that. Does sound like the Siri hack might have screwed something. Hope this last download works for you. Keep us posted, maybe something clicks and you can come through.
    No I don't think that the Siri download is effecting it now because I already have done a fresh restore from that issue. Actually 2. So at this point it has to be something else. That's why I'm wondering if using the custom ipsw from iFaith has messed up the phone some how. If this last download doesn't work then I'm going to try in DFU and pwned DFU and see if that works.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandMasterB View Post
    I don't think it will just allow you to just update if your already modded and jailbroken. I think you have to "restore" in itunes, that will wipe everything and then update to 5.0.1. Thats how I have done it 2x now. Back up then "restore" in iTunes to update to 5.0.1, then dump your blobs and ticket and use sn0wbreeze to downgrade and then restore your backup in iTunes.

It takes a couple hours to do it all but it worked for my Verizon iPhone. Good luck!
    So you're saying I can't be Jailbroken on 5.0 if I want to update to 5.0.1? I'm on 5.0 right now from a custom ipsw from my APTickets on iFaith. I'm jailbroke with redsnow right now. So you're saying i need to restore using the custom ipsw and NOT JB 5.0 and then it'll update to 5.0.1 on iTunes?
    The issue I'm having is that when I try to restore or update through iTunes it's telling me the fw is not compatible like its for a different device but I have the right ipsw. It's the original apple signed ipsw, not custom (for 5.0.1)
    Last edited by PoEtikly; 12-10-2011 at 01:10 PM.

Thanks

No I don't think that the Siri download is effecting it now because I already have done a fresh restore from that issue. Actually 2. So at this point it has to be something else. That's why I'm wondering if using the custom ipsw from iFaith has messed up the phone some how. If this last download doesn't work then I'm going to try in DFU and pwned DFU and see if that works.

So you're saying I can't be Jailbroken on 5.0 if I want to update to 5.0.1? I'm on 5.0 right now from a custom ipsw from my APTickets on iFaith. I'm jailbroke with redsnow right now. So you're saying i need to restore using the custom ipsw and NOT JB 5.0 and then it'll update to 5.0.1 on iTunes?
    That's just my opinion, I don't know for a fact that you can't just "update" a modded system, I can just see it as being problematic if it did allow you too. Personally I would just put it in DFU and tell itunes to restore it. AFTER backing up first of course.
    Last edited by GrandMasterB; 12-10-2011 at 01:16 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Kaospassageraren's Avatar
    Thanks

If you used tu sometime check so its not pointing the host to cydia( just à tip)
    My Twitter....powderfinger76

iPhone? More like MyPhone spooneditr's Avatar
    Thanks

Since my iphone is on 4.3.3... will i be able to to 5.0.1 and if wanted to go back to 4.3.3?? and if so how??

Your mom has "spirit" but I used my "pwnage tool" on her all night long and "ultrasn0wed" all over her. haha

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ok so I have my 5.0 APTickets dumped and actually haves used them and restored 5.0, but now I'm going to update 5.0.1 so I can save those as well, but when I choose the ipsw (apple original) for 5.0.1 it says:

"the iPhone xxxxxxxx could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible.

Anybody know what that's about? I even downloaded it from Modmyi. This is the exact name of file:

iPhone3,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore.ipsw

I have an iPhone 4 GSM that is currently on 5.0 which is done from a custom ipsw from iFaith. Anybody know what's going on?
    Not sure what the problem is, as it seems as though you have the correct IPSW file. You can always try letting itunes download it for you. It takes a little longer, but has less of a chance of failure. Your firmware file could have been corrupted somehow during download. The other thing you need to make sure of is that your "hosts" file in cwindows\system32\drivers\etc is not changed to verify your restore with a source other than apple. This happens when the "Set host to Cydia on exit" button is checked when you use Tiny Umbrella.

Of course, you don't really need to update to 5.0.1 to save your SHSH w/ APT. Tiny Umbrella's latest version has been updated to save the SHSH w/ APT, so you could just use that, since Apple is still signing 5.0.1.

The other thing you can try is to restore using a custom Sn0wbreeze 5.0.1 IPSW if getting the iFaith SHSH w/ APT is that important to you and none of these other suggestions work.

If none of these work, you should just try to update the phone on another PC, or make sure you have the latest version of iTunes installed, as this could cause it to not recognize the firmware as well. Good luck!

The issue I'm having is that when I try to restore or update through iTunes it's telling me the fw is not compatible like its for a different device but I have the right ipsw. It's the original apple signed ipsw, not custom (for 5.0.1)
    You are not trying to restore clean in iTunes in DFU mode, are you? The phone should just be on, like you are using it or as if you were just syncing it. DFU and pwned DFU are only for restoring to custom firmwares. This will cause a clean restiore from Apple to fail. Just another suggestiion. None of the factors like it being on a custom iFaith firmware or being jailbroken should matter.

If you have access to another PC, I would definitely try to restore using the other PC. When the restore is finished you will just plug the phone back into your normal PC and right click on your iPhone in the left pane of iTunes and click on restore from backup. This will put all of your stuff back on it.
    Last edited by iSteveO; 12-10-2011 at 05:59 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iSteveO View Post
    Not sure what the problem is, as it seems as though you have the correct IPSW file. You can always try letting itunes download it for you. It takes a little longer, but has less of a chance of failure. Your firmware file could have been corrupted somehow during download. The other thing you need to make sure of is that your "hosts" file in cwindows\system32\drivers\etc is not changed to verify your restore with a source other than apple. This happens when the "Set host to Cydia on exit" button is checked when you use Tiny Umbrella.

Of course, you don't really need to update to 5.0.1 to save your SHSH w/ APT. Tiny Umbrella's latest version has been updated to save the SHSH w/ APT, so you could just use that, since Apple is still signing 5.0.1.

The other thing you can try is to restore using a custom Sn0wbreeze 5.0.1 IPSW if getting the iFaith SHSH w/ APT is that important to you and none of these other suggestions work.

If none of these work, you should just try to update the phone on another PC, or make sure you have the latest version of iTunes installed, as this could cause it to not recognize the firmware as well. Good luck!

You are not trying to restore clean in iTunes in DFU mode, are you? The phone should just be on, like you are using it or as if you were just syncing it. DFU and pwned DFU are only for restoring to custom firmwares. This will cause a clean restiore from Apple to fail. Just another suggestiion. None of the factors like it being on a custom iFaith firmware or being jailbroken should matter.

If you have access to another PC, I would definitely try to restore using the other PC. When the restore is finished you will just plug the phone back into your normal PC and right click on your iPhone in the left pane of iTunes and click on restore from backup. This will put all of your stuff back on it.
    I restore to stock in DFU mode (Device Firmare Upgade) all the time in itunes. Never been a problem before. In fact I did it last night to go from iFaith 5.0 to upgrade to 5.0.1 stock.

NOTE: I'm not trying to ruffle your feathers either. I feel like you have been immensely helpful to a lot of people today, I just think your off the mark regarding this one thing. Thanks for all your help!!
    Last edited by GrandMasterB; 12-10-2011 at 06:17 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spooneditr View Post
    Since my iphone is on 4.3.3... will i be able to to 5.0.1 and if wanted to go back to 4.3.3?? and if so how??
    IF you need to preserve your baseband for unlocking, you can update to iOS 5.0.1 using a custom sn0wbreeze IPSW, and you will already be jailbroken. If you are not concerned with the baseband and are not unlocked, then you can just do a regular clean restore using iTunes normally for 5.0.1 while they are still signing it before the public release of 5.1. Then, if you plan on staying on 5.0.1, you can jailbreak using redsn0w if you didn't use sn0wbreeze. Or after you've restored from apple you can restore again using a sn0wbreeze 5.0.1 IPSW to jailbreak; your preference.

To go back to 4.3.3, you will use iFaith, just make sure to have the SHSH blobs for 4.3.3 saved so you can cook your custom iFaith firmware file. If you have any trouble downgrading try using iTunes version lower than 10.5, but this should not be an issue.

I think that if you give it a week, you'll not mind the tethered jailbreak, if that is what you are worried about. I have been using the tethered jailbreak for 2 months and it is surprisingly stable. I have only had to boot my phone twice, and those 2 times were because I let my battery die. With the SemiTether tweak that's out now, even if you do let your battery die as soon as you hook it up to a charger you will be able to boot to a stock state. It's very stable; these guys have worked very hard on this. Give it a chance and keep on top of your battery and you'll not mind it at all.

I restore to stock in DFU mode (Device Firmare Upgade) all the time in itunes. Never been a problem before. In fact I did it last night to go from iFaith 5.0 to upgrade to 5.0.1 stock.

NOTE: I'm not trying to ruffle your feathers either. I feel like you have been immensely helpful to a lot of people today, I just think your off the mark regarding this one thing. Thanks for all your help!!
    I agree with you GrandMaster B, I am just throwing out ideas. To restore to a stock firmware that apple is currently signing, you *shouldn't* need to put the device in DFU mode, but I understand that you can. I am just relating that I have had my 4.2.8 restore fail because of this back when 4.2.8 was the new hotness, and all I had to do was turn the phone on. I think he should try anything he can at this point, so I was saying to try it not in DFU. I misspoke when I said DFU is **only** for restoring to custom firmware. Thanks for the clarification; no feathers ruffled! lol
    Last edited by iSteveO; 12-10-2011 at 06:26 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iSteveO View Post
    The update you did on your phone was a "Carrier Update," and does not really have anything to do with the baseband. The baseband is only updated during a restore/update using a stock Apple IPSW, or if you use a software to update to the iPad bb (6.15.00), and I don't know if this works on the CDMA iPhone. You baseband is listed in Settings->General, and is called "Modem Firmware." In this same section in settings, you will see "Carrier." This "Carrier" version is what you recently updated (probably from 9.8 or 10.1 to 10.2 or 11.1). This Carrier Update does not matter to the jailbreak, as they are always safe to do. Back to the baseband; it's not about being on the "latest" bb, it's about being on the correct bb for your iOS (only with CDMA, not GSM). The bb on the Verizon phone seems to only change with "major" iOS updates like going from 4.2 up to 5.0, but doesn't change going from 4.2.6 to 4.2.8, for instance. If you want iOS 5.0.1 to work on your phone you have to let Apple update this "Modem Firmware" (AKA baseband) by using a stock IPSW. It will more than likely update it from whatever it is now (I think 1.0.06 or something like that) to baseband 3.0.03. You will never get a pop-up on your phone requesting you to update your "Modem Frimware," only carrier updates. After you update to iOS 5 you will probably get another one of these "Carrier Updates," and it is fine to accept this update. With CDMA, we have very few options regarding this issue. You can use your current bb on any iOS 4.2 version, and I'm pretty sure you can use the iOS 5.0 bb on any 5.0 version (5.0, 5.0.1, or 5.0.2), but not on the upcoming 5.1. In short, if you want iOS 5 you have to stock update to iOS 5.0.1 with a clean IPSW.

FYI, the tethered jailbreak is extremely stable, and with the new Semi-Tether option you don't have to worry about being stranded without even a phone. I was very scared of going off of my safe untethered iOS 4.2.8 jailbreak up to the tethered iOS 5 jailbreak, but I was pleasantly surprised by its performance. I can't make the decision for you, but I recommend that you update to iOS 5.0.1 ASAP, before the signing window closes when 5.1 is released publicly, and hope @pod2g or @musclenerd's exploits work for it. I hope this helps you figure things out and that I didn't confuse you worse! lol
    Thanks so much bro. Your definitely one of the most helpful people I've met here. Sorry I sounded like a noob but I appreciate you taking the time to explain that to me because I never really understood it that way. Ive been considering doing a semi tethered JB since it was out but never considered a tethered JB before that because I occasionally need to actually use my iPhone as a phone lol and if I had to reboot for some random reason or was near a charger but not a computer when it ran out of charge id be screwed but just never really got around to doing it because I got like over 30 mobile substrates running on 4.2.6 and like a total of 50 cydia tweaks and I wanted to wait for them to be updated to iOS 5 and make sure I could get everything set up how I have it now. Not to mention the fact that I have over 300 app store apps and it takes like 5 hours to restore my phone lol. But I will definitely go for the semi tethered JB now so I don't get stuck once 5.1 comes out.

Thanks

iPhone 4 gsm 5.0 custom firmware using ifaith.

I upgraded straight from my jb 5.0 two days ago and I'm running a fresh restore. So you CAN update from a modded OS without any problems. I haven't noticed anything yet. I'm not jailbroken though(holding off for the untethered so I don't have to restore)

Thanks

[QUOTE=iSteveO;6330751]IF you need to preserve your baseband for unlocking, you can update to iOS 5.0.1 using a custom sn0wbreeze IPSW, and you will already be jailbroken. If you are not concerned with the baseband and are not unlocked, then you can just do a regular clean restore using iTunes normally for 5.0.1 while they are still signing it before the public release of 5.1. Then, if you plan on staying on 5.0.1, you can jailbreak using redsn0w if you didn't use sn0wbreeze. Or after you've restored from apple you can restore again using a sn0wbreeze 5.0.1 IPSW to jailbreak; your preference.

To go back to 4.3.3, you will use iFaith, just make sure to have the SHSH blobs for 4.3.3 saved so you can cook your custom iFaith firmware file. If you have any trouble downgrading try using iTunes version lower than 10.5, but this should not be an issue.

I think that if you give it a week, you'll not mind the tethered jailbreak, if that is what you are worried about. I have been using the tethered jailbreak for 2 months and it is surprisingly stable. I have only had to boot my phone twice, and those 2 times were because I let my battery die. With the SemiTether tweak that's out now, even if you do let your battery die as soon as you hook it up to a charger you will be able to boot to a stock state. It's very stable; these guys have worked very hard on this. Give it a chance and keep on top of your battery and you'll not mind it at all.

I keep trying to do the update and I'm getting an error message from ITunes... 3194.. and I read up on it and did do all the things that caused it but doesn't seem to work.

Your mom has "spirit" but I used my "pwnage tool" on her all night long and "ultrasn0wed" all over her. haha

Thanks

Ok, to all the people that were trying to help me for the " iPhone xxxxxxx cannot restore because firmware is not compatible" issue, I figured out the problem after running through ifunbox/ssh all night long. This is incredibly strange and just making my frustrations with Apple even larger. I recently purchased (in August) an iPhone 4 for my fiancé and then purchased a 4s about a month ago. For some reason they had changed the serial number on this phone in their records so it was showing it as I have 2 iPhone 4s's. It didn't show when I was custom ipsw for 5.0 when I needed to restore from other issues (literally 15 min after iFaith v1.4 was released so that saved my *** greatly. I thank iH8sn0w for pming me and letting me know before I updated to 5.0.1 without saving those APTickets). So after Apple changed that serial number to what it was supposed to be, I have been able to update to 5.0.1. I know somebody said something about that tu can save them (which I did save them with TU) , but they're useless until a new version of redsn0w is released (from what I gather from musclenerd). So I wanted to make sure I grab them now with iFaith just in case something happened and that ability changed. I'd rather be safe than sorry. So I saved my APTickets for 5.0, then updated to 5.0.1, saved APTickets for 5.0.1 (which doesn't have to be jbn to grab the APTickets btw), and then downgraded back to 5.0 and everything worked perfect. Thanks for all your ideas and I just wanted to tell you about the stupidity that Apple has shown. Thanks

iPhone? More like MyPhone MYPHONEI's Avatar
    Thanks

As I reported earlier this week, iH8sn0w released iFaith version 1.4 which allows you to save your iOS 5.0 SHSH blobs and APticket so that you can create a custom iOS 5.0 firmware file to use in downgrading your iDevice back to iOS 5.0. The guide on saving your iOS 5.0 SHSH blobs and APticket can be read here. iFaith works with iOS 5.0.1 too. But since people are nervous that the Chronic Dev Team's untethered jailbreak for iOS 5 might not work with iOS 5.0.1,
    The news is that the untethered JB will work with 5.0.1

Thanks

I fixed my issue... A little bit of reading and found out the issue was a setting with TU.... So in good to go now

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i have an iphone 4 running on 4.3.3 cfw (custom firmware ) and would like to preserve my baseband and upgrade to 5.0 or 5.0.1, i would like to know if i can follow the above tutorial to create the CFW and update it while preserving the baseband using ifaith