+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Chronic Dev Team: We Have A Working Untethered iOS 5 Jailbreak

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
The Chonic Dev Team has an untethered jailbreak for iOS 5! We've all been waiting for it. The awesome freedom that an untethered jailbreak gives us. From now until the
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Chronic Dev Team: We Have A Working Untethered iOS 5 Jailbreak

The Chonic Dev Team has an untethered jailbreak for iOS 5!

We've all been waiting for it. The awesome freedom that an untethered jailbreak gives us. From now until the beta; it's seemed like an eternity, we've been using either a tethered iOS 5 jailbreak (or semi-tethered) or we have been using the untethered iOS 4 jailbreak. The super stubborn people stayed on iOS 4 to keep their untethered jailbreaks and the super anxious people either updated to iOS 5 without jailbreaking or did the tethered jailbreak in the meantime anyway. Now, you can all take a deep breath. The Chronic Dev Team is the mastermind behind the infamous Greenspois0n untethered jailbreak for iOS 4.2.1.

The difference between a tethered jailbreak and an untethered jailbreak is that with a tethered jailbreak you need to use a computer to boot your iDevice out of a reboot loop when you restart your iDevice. With an untethered jailbreak, you can reboot your iDevice freely without needing to connect to a computer. In between the two, a semi-tethered jailbreak was developed which allows you to reboot your iDevice freely but you won't have your jailbreak data and until you connect to a computer to reboot tethered.

The Chronic Dev Team has a treat for us. It's a teaser. Here, Pod2G shows us an untethered jailbreak on an iPod touch running iOS 5.0. It's not an iPhone 3GS because if it were, it would say a carrier name or NO SIM at the top, where it says iPod instead. You can also clearly tell by the look of the device that it's an iPod touch because it doesn't have a speaker hole at the top of the device:

So for all of you that were itching about the Chronic Dev Team Crash Reporter and saying that it was a security threat or useless, well, you've been proven wrong. The tool appears to have helped quite a bit. They received over ten million crash reports and I have no doubts that it helped in the development of the jailbreak.

Additionally, you can use iFaith to save your APtickets and SHSH blobs for iOS 5.0 and you will be able to restore iOS 5.0 to get a fresh jailbreak like new when the tool comes out. To use iFaith, you need to be on iOS 5.0 already in order to save your iOS 5.0 APticket. If you are on iOS 5.0.1 right now and you try saving your APticket using iFaith, you will be unable to downgrade to iOS 5.0. iFaith will only work for you to get on iOS 5.0 if you save your APticket for iOS 5.0.

There's no ETA for when the jailbreak will be released, obviously the part that needs to be worked on now is killing all of the bugs in the jailbreak. But, at least you can be assured that there is an untethered jailbreak coming, and at least they have a working untethered jailbreak out now. With that, I suspect it will be out sometime before next year. It shouldn't be too long. We also don't know if it will work on the iPhone 4S. It's looking like it probably won't support A5 iDevices yet, but that doesn't mean that it won't in the future. We will keep you posted.

Thanks to Pod2G for showing us this. Are you excited that an iOS 5 untethered jailbreak is just on the horizon? Share in the comments below!

Sources: Pod2G
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 12-09-2011 at 04:47 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

ChSchuldiner (12-09-2011)

Thanks

Hope they show the 4s some love.

Thanks

Default Bump that!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedrush View Post
    Britney Spears said it best, GIMMIE ME, GIMMIE ME MORE......
    Bring on the 4S Jailbreak!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

We love you Chronic Dev Team!

Having an untethered jailbreak for the A4 chip iDevices is great, but the real need is with the current A5 iDevices.
    I sure hope this can be made to work on the iPad2, 4S and the upcoming iPad3.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Finally! I'm going to do what I always do when these jailbreaks come out though...wait a week until the servers stop getting slammed and the bugs get reported, then upgrade. I wonder if I'll be able to do this untethered jailbreak over my tethered redsn0w jailbreak.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 884 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rylax26 View Post
    Finally! I'm going to do what I always do when these jailbreaks come out though...wait a week until the servers stop getting slammed and the bugs get reported, then upgrade. I wonder if I'll be able to do this untethered jailbreak over my tethered redsn0w jailbreak.
    +1. On both the waiting and running the untethered on top of the tethered.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KraXik View Post
    +1. On both the waiting and running the untethered on top of the tethered.
    Why run it on top of the tethered? Use iFaith to restore to a fresh iOS 5.0 and then jailbreak with this new tool.

Thanks

IOS 5 Untethered Jailbreak ETA = When IOS 6 Is released LOL

Green Apple
    Thanks

Great new indeed for people on ios 5.0! I'm one of the super stubborn people who stayed on iOS 4

iPhone? More like MyPhone CaptBojank's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    We love you Chronic Dev Team!

Having an untethered jailbreak for the A4 chip iDevices is great, but the real need is with the current A5 iDevices.
    I sure hope this can be made to work on the iPad2, 4S and the upcoming iPad3.
    If it's a userland JB, which I believe it is, it might work on A5 devices. As far as the iPad3, its most likely going to be the a next gen processor (A6?). If so, both the bootrom and the firmware will be updated by them, so it's likely that nothing found today will work.
    --= Fortes fortuna adiuvat =--

Thanks

Oh god

OH GOD

iPhone? More like MyPhone smuj29's Avatar
    Thanks

Your a legend, hope A5 devices are jailbroken asap, its killing me.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I am one of those fools that has updated to 5.0.1 can someone direct me to where I can learn how to downgrade if it is possible? Thanks much in advance.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

You guys won't get it because they will fear an update from Apple so don't expect it until June.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

This sucks. I tried using iFaith to dump my blobs and i keep getting an error. "Unsupported Firmware" but im on ios 5. wtf do i do when this comes out? :/

My iPhone is a Part of Me mlee19841's Avatar
    Thanks

Good for people who have iOS 5. Just got a jailbroken device on 4.2.8. So I can't upgrade to iOS 5. Since apple stopped signing iOS 5. Right?? So I guess I'm stuck on iOS 5.0.1.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mlee19841 View Post
    Good for people who have iOS 5. Just got a jailbroken device on 4.2.8. So I can't upgrade to iOS 5. Since apple stopped signing iOS 5. Right?? So I guess I'm stuck on iOS 5.0.1.
    Read the newest story and stop being a poor sport.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

https://twitter.com/pod2g

Looks like it will be an option on 5.0.1 shortly. Curious to see what will happen on the 4s... Anyone want to donate pod2g a 4s?

Retired Moderator A Retired Mod's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hedrush View Post
    You and me both!!!!
    I'm getting board with my bone stock 4S!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone ChSchuldiner's Avatar
    Thanks

This completely made my day!

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast