+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Article: Case Turns iPhone 4 and 4S into Sports Action Cameras

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
The HD Go Pro helped ambitious sports action videographers stop breaking expensive camera equipment with their easy helmet mounted camera solution. The Optrix HD Sports Mount hopes to do the
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Case Turns iPhone 4 and 4S into Sports Action Camera

The HD Go Pro helped ambitious sports action videographers stop breaking expensive camera equipment with their easy helmet mounted camera solution. The Optrix HD Sports Mount hopes to do the same for adventerous iPhone 4 and 4S owners.

The Optrix HD offers a much safer iPhone 4 and 4S helmet attachment solution than, lets say, duct tape or lots of rubber bands. It even doubles as a rugged weatherproof case. The company’s press release touted the case as “tough enough for military use” but, I’d advise against testing claim's validity. The case uses two different mounting flats and a 3M industrial adhesive to ensure the iPhone stays in place. The case even covers the iPhone touchscreen with a .5mm thick membrane ensuring the case protects the phone from all angles. Sadly the case doesn’t allow diving underwater with the iPhone yet.

The Optix HD allows for a number of unique mounting options giving budding action videographers a definite creative advantage when trying to capture action in even the most extreme environments. Carving up fresh powder down a mountain side? Check. Biking across the county? Check. Curious where your dog disappears to every time he escapes the house? Problem solved.

The Optrix HD, priced at $79.99, offers a capable and cheaper alternative to the HD Go Pro ($199). While it won’t protect your iPhone from every conceivable accident, it successfully transforms the iPhone 4S into s capable sports action camera.

Source: Coolest Gadgets

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I would like something like this but for about $20 or less. I don't care about it being so durable and waterproof, just strong enough to hold the phone securely with a good stand.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    You can get a good iphone bike holder on ebay for around 30 worked great for me when i used it through the alps

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Awesome product but seems a tad overpriced for what you're getting. Hopefully more attachments will come out and a suction cup mount because I rather not use 3m adhesive tape on my equipment.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Lombardo Joe's Avatar
    Thanks

No. If I go down, I'm going to have enough trouble fixing my bike. I don't want to be without a phone as well, lol.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    it looks cool, but i do not think it is safe enough.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

To those wanting something cheaper, they do sell GPS bike mounts that work just fine, if you are brave enough. Something like this is expensive because it sort of has to be made out of expensive materials to do what it sets out to do. I wouldn't want to be suction cupping some sort of iPhone stand to the windscreen of my motorbike...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

Default Oh word.......
    Quote Originally Posted by amyking View Post
    it looks cool, but i do not think it is safe enough.
    All I need now is a B@D @$$ Bike and I am set!!

Thanks

So instead of a $200 GoPro camera, you have a $280, $380, $480 camera, depending on what iPhone model you have.

Much more money involved if the mount fails and camera/phone breaks, PLUS you'd be out a phone until you get a replacement.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default cheap holder
    Quote Originally Posted by The6uest View Post
    I would like something like this but for about $20 or less. I don't care about it being so durable and waterproof, just strong enough to hold the phone securely with a good stand.
    I took rigid plastic case (dont remember the brand) and drill the side of it to screw camera "shoe" type mount. Now I can install the "mount case" I made and use any regular camera equipment to hold the iphone. For portability I use the small Joby Gorillapod for $20 but there are a lot of option once you have a camera shoe screwed into a case.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
    So instead of a $200 GoPro camera, you have a $280, $380, $480 camera, depending on what iPhone model you have.

Much more money involved if the mount fails and camera/phone breaks, PLUS you'd be out a phone until you get a replacement.
    I have a go pro and believe me that case that the camera would survive 90% of crashes. In fact your phone would probably be safer inside that plastic case on you bike than it would inside your pocket if you were to go down.

It's a cool idea as long as the housing is as durable as the GoPro housing is.