+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: U.S. Cellular Holding Out for Apple's LTE iPhone

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
U.S. Cellular isn't ready to take the iPhone in its present form. What AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint currently offer in the U.S. simply isn't cutting edge enough for U.S. Cellular
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default U.S. Cellular Holding Out for Apple's LTE iPhone

U.S. Cellular isn't ready to take the iPhone in its present form. What AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint currently offer in the U.S. simply isn't cutting edge enough for U.S. Cellular (the 6th largest mobile carrier in the country), which is holding out for something more from the otherwise hugely popular Apple smartphone.

This week, Ted Carlson, CEO of U.S. Cellular's parent company TDS, said the carrier won't even begin to weigh the prospect of carrying the iPhone until Apple takes the next step in mobile evolution and releases an LTE iPhone.

"We're never going to say never about the iPhone," Carlson said. "The iPhone for us would need to be at the cutting edge of where we're going, and then there might be an opportunity to consider it." The carrier said it was previously given an opportunity to carry the device, but declined, saying only that U.S. Cellular is currently focused on taking its LTE efforts to the next level - a goal the iPhone can't contribute to in its current form.

For the time being, U.S. Cellular operates in 26 states and anticipates covering one-quarter of its total coverage footprint with LTE by the end of this year, Fierce Wireless reports. The carrier is planning to launch at least one LTE smartphone and tablet in the first quarter of 2012.

Source: Fierce Wireless

Thanks
    Thanked 1,752 Times in 890 Posts

US Cellular seem adamant to ride on the iPhones coattails. I mean, who really cares? They called the 4s old technology yet it tops most speed tests.

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

i personally think US Cellular is high who the hell do they think they are. If I was apple when i release the LTE iPhone i would snub their *** or make them pay more then everyone else to carry it. I dont think being number 6 affords you the right to tell Apple what you will and wont carry. I would give the number 7 and number 5 guys a break on it and help them take down number 6 lol but thats just me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolverinemarky View Post
    I dont think being number 6 affords you the right to tell Apple what you will and wont carry.
    LOL! This is business. The carriers have full right to decide what they want to carry. They are purchasing a product from Apple. And you're saying they shouldn't have a say in what they purchase?? You must be in favor of obamacare if you feel people should be forced to purchase something.

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ty22 View Post
    LOL! This is business. The carriers have full right to decide what they want to carry. They are purchasing a product from Apple. And you're saying they shouldn't have a say in what they purchase?? You must be in favor of obamacare if you feel people should be forced to purchase something.
    actually ur probably the one that will be in need of obamacare and not me. U totally didnt get my point of my comment i didnt say they should have to carry the iPhone. I said they shouldn't believe their hot **** that Apple needs them cause they dont. If I was Apple my business decision would be not to let them carry the iPhone for their comments. And if they allow them US Cellular to have the iPhone they should make them pay more for it then anyone else just to prove who needs who and who has the power.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolverinemarky View Post
    actually ur probably the one that will be in need of obamacare and not me. U totally didnt get my point of my comment i didnt say they should have to carry the iPhone. I said they shouldn't believe their hot **** that Apple needs them cause they dont. If I was Apple my business decision would be not to let them carry the iPhone for their comments. And if they allow them US Cellular to have the iPhone they should make them pay more for it then anyone else just to prove who needs who and who has the power.
    Hmm. Maybe you weren't very clear on the first comment. Sorry. And I didn't mean to seem rude.

Thanks
    LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! Hold on I need a breath.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I've never even heard of this company, so it's definitely NOT "The way people talk around here."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by subalou1 View Post
    I've never even heard of this company, so it's definitely NOT "The way people talk around here."
    It's in the north western part of the U.S....so for the people that have it...it is the way they talk around there.

iPhone? More like MyPhone xxhorseriderxxx's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KraXik View Post
    US Cellular seem adamant to ride on the iPhones coattails. I mean, who really cares? They called the 4s old technology yet it tops most speed tests.
    what speed tests are you looking at? lol. The specs are far behind everything else dual cored on android right now; the battery size on the 4s makes me laugh.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xxhorseriderxxx View Post
    what speed tests are you looking at? lol. The specs are far behind everything else dual cored on android right now; the battery size on the 4s makes me laugh.
    Whoa we've got a Fandroid on Apple forums....how desperate.

Green Apple
    Thanks

The truth is, people want an iPhone more than they want LTE. Sales prove this already.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

hahaha I actually LOL'd on that one. Nice response!