+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple's Retail Self-Checkout Program Launch Deemed a Success

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Apple's Retail Self-Checkout Program Launch Deemed a Success

A person familiar with Apple’s retail operations reportedly told John Fortt of CNBC that the benefits of the new retail self-checkout program Apple introduced in November have so far outweighed the cons. Apple previously launched the retail self-checkout program known as EasyPay, which allows customers to pay for an in-store transaction on their iPhone without speaking to a store employee.

According to him “this new setup could particularly be useful in a store like the one Apple’s opening in Grand Central station on Friday. I hear self-checkout will be prominently touted there, which is no big surprise.” The early success of the self-checkout initiative bodes well for Apple’s holidays sales which are predicted to be the best yet for the company.

Comments from someone involved in Apple’s retail operations are a big indication that the self-checkout option has not created confusion or encouraged theft in the company stores, both of which were amongst two of the biggest fears many had when the program first launched. The concerns led to some jokingly referring to the program, which was officially known as EasyPay, as “EasyTheft.” There haven't been any widely known theft issues since the release of the launch, which is good news for Apple.

For those of you who didn’t already know, EasyPay launched in November with the release of version 2.0 of the Apple Store application for iOS devices. With EasyPay, users with an iPhone can scan the barcode of an accessory while in the store, and complete the transaction using the same credit card information tied to their Apple ID. The option is only applicable to accessories and items found on the shelf, which are obviously the less expensive products offered at the Apple stores. iOS devices themselves are kept in Apple’s retail stockrooms and users cannot complete a self-checkout to purchase those items.

Have you utilized the new EasyPay program yet? If so, share your experience below!

Source: CNBC

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

So what check is in place to ensure you aren't stealing when you pick up an expensive speaker or hard drive and head for the door? Sounds like the security guard is going to be earning his pay.

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,328 Times in 722 Posts

Seems awesome and very modernized but as like the guy above me said it who's to say people aren't gonna just walk out whilst checking out

Thanks
    At the apple store where I am they have 2 police officers at the doors.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
    So what check is in place to ensure you aren't stealing when you pick up an expensive speaker or hard drive and head for the door? Sounds like the security guard is going to be earning his pay.
    I was wondering the same thing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
    Exactly! Although this will free up the checkout lines it will likely create new ones at the exit. Someone has to check your bag to make sure you didn't throw in an extra iphone case or something. I see it looking like the lines at Costco on the way out of the store...