Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Carrier IQ Scandal Places Apple at Center of New Class Action Lawsuit

  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Posts
    3,850
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

    Default Carrier IQ Scandal Places Apple at Center of New Class Action Lawsuit


    File this one under the category: "We All Saw This Coming."

    It seems Apple has been named in a brand new class-action lawsuit related to the Carrier IQ scandal that sent mobile privacy advocates and smartphone users alike into a frenzy in recent days.

    The Carrier IQ software is what's known as a rootkit that is installed at a carrierís request on mobile phones. Carrier IQ raises user privacy concerns because it runs in the background and monitors and logs user activity. Carrier IQ is believed to be installed on more than 100 million devices around the world.

    The lawsuit in question was filed by Delaware-based Sianni & Straite LLP and, in addition to Apple, it targets HTC, Samsung and Motorola, not to mention heavyweight carriers like AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile. The lawsuit alleges an "unprecedented breach in the digital privacy rights of 150 million cell phone users."

    AT&T and Sprint - two iPhone carriers in the U.S. - claim the Carrier IQ software and its collected data are only used as a means to "improve service performance." As MMi reported last week, Apple said in response to the "scandal" that it "stopped supporting Carrier IQ with iOS 5 in most of our products and will remove it completely in a future software update."

    Source: Sianni & Straite LLP

  2. #2
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Milky Way, Solar System, Earth
    Posts
    142
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    So, apple has the least invasive version of that bullcrap, but the class action lawsuit is aimed at it in the first place... :no idea:And i don't see rim, nokia and google in the list. Wtf is happening to this world.

  3. #3
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    487
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 39 Times in 31 Posts

    This will be easy when the discovery phase comes around for AT&T and Sprint. They say it was only used to improve service performance so when it comes time to prove that, they'll provide records that show what they collected and will be able to back up their claims and then they'll simply ask for a release from the lawsuit and they'll get out.

    Apple is worried about this clearly because they have adamantly stated they stopped supporting it and are removing it in newer versions.

    T-Mobile hasn't commented so who knows what dirty secrets they are hiding and Verizon has already said they never used it so that explains why they aren't named in the lawsuit.

    Quote Originally Posted by dennder View Post
    So, apple has the least invasive version of that bullcrap, but the class action lawsuit is aimed at it in the first place... :no idea:And i don't see rim, nokia and google in the list. Wtf is happening to this world.
    I'm really interested in this and will be following it closely along with a large amount of the rest of you as well. I'm sure we're all eager to find out what the resolution of this is.

    I don't think we'll see Google since this was a phone manufacturer/carrier combination thing whereas Google only makes the OS but presumably wouldn't get involved with Carrier IQ since they have no reason to.

    You are right and I too am curious why RIM and Nokia aren't named in this. Especially RIM since they have already admitted to using Carrier IQ's software.
    Last edited by alexevo; 12-05-2011 at 02:32 PM.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by dennder View Post
    So, apple has the least invasive version of that bullcrap, but the class action lawsuit is aimed at it in the first place... :no idea:And i don't see rim, nokia and google in the list. Wtf is happening to this world.
    Cause people want to sue people with the most money I am guessing.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by dennder View Post
    So, apple has the least invasive version of that bullcrap, but the class action lawsuit is aimed at it in the first place... :no idea:And i don't see rim, nokia and google in the list. Wtf is happening to this world.
    How do you know it's the least invasive? Just because Apple said so?

  6. #6
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,023
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 78 Times in 63 Posts

    If anyone read ATT's terms, this is kind of a useless argument. It is like visiting a website and being shocked to find out that the site is looking through logs and viewing IPs of users and how they interact with the site.3.6 AT&T collects information about the approximate location of your Device in relation to our cell towers and the Global Positioning System (GPS). We use that information, as well as other usage and performance information also obtained from our network and your Device, to provide you with wireless voice and data services, and to maintain and improve our network and the quality of your wireless experience. We may also use location information to create aggregate data from which your personally identifiable information has been removed or obscured. Such aggregate data may be used for a variety of purposes such as scientific and marketing research and services such as vehicle traffic volume monitoring. It is your responsibility to notify users on your account that we may collect and use location information from Devices.

  7. #7
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    109
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts

    Do we already have an AT&T Rep commenting on this? lol Good lookin out for your company. It still doesn't prove that personal information is obscured or not used. Just like apple says it has the least invasive IQ of em all doesn't mean its true. Also curious to see how this all pans out.

  8. #8
    What the hell does "most of its products in iOS5" even mean? You either take it out or you don't. What products still have it?

  9. #9
    iPhone? More like MyPhone rvance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    106
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 50 Times in 25 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    What the hell does "most of its products in iOS5" even mean? You either take it out or you don't. What products still have it?
    Yea, that's a good question. I have a new 4s which I got on launch, so do I have or no? and if I do, how do I get rid of it?

    Oh btw I'm with Verizon if that make any difference.

  10. #10
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    487
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 39 Times in 31 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    What the hell does "most of its products in iOS5" even mean? You either take it out or you don't. What products still have it?
    Rest assured most of the iOS products no longer contain it, except the iPhone and iPad.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bklyn NY !!
    Posts
    913
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 62 Times in 51 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by dennder View Post
    So, apple has the least invasive version of that bullcrap, but the class action lawsuit is aimed at it in the first place... :no idea:And i don't see rim, nokia and google in the list. Wtf is happening to this world.
    Are you serious? you're b!tchin and complaining because Apple is named "first"? what does it matte whose named first., ALL of them are in cahoots and this needs to be brought to light.

    I don't know about you, but I do ALL of my banking on my phones and tablets and I don't want anybody snooping, I don't care who it is, they have no right to monitor everything a person does on their phones.

    From banking to sending intimate messages and photos to my wife, ITS PRIVATE !!

  12. #12
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Milky Way, Solar System, Earth
    Posts
    142
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by NegativeBeef View Post
    How do you know it's the least invasive? Just because Apple said so?
    Because i red what does the dude who discovered it wrote. And according to him it is least invasive and easily switchable off. Read less news and more sources pls.

    Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    Are you serious? you're b!tchin and complaining because Apple is named "first"? what does it matte whose named first., ALL of them are in cahoots and this needs to be brought to light.

    I don't know about you, but I do ALL of my banking on my phones and tablets and I don't want anybody snooping, I don't care who it is, they have no right to monitor everything a person does on their phones.

    From banking to sending intimate messages and photos to my wife, ITS PRIVATE !!
    I was using HTC for quite some time, and was using it as SSH terminal for many computers including servers (do you have an idea what it means?), not to mention the wi-fi hotspot for my laptop, go figure what i have "lost"...
    And i thought that by switching off all location etc. services i was more or less safe from data snooping. Most importantly, since i knew apple likes to snoop around, and i didn't like it very much, i got myself an android in a hope, that linux-based mobile will be safer in that particular matter. What a fking fool i was. Darth Wader's "noooo" shout was a whisper in comparison to my craziness that day.
    I suddenly wished i had an iPhone... i don't give a fk about photos / music on my device.
    Last edited by dennder; 12-05-2011 at 08:06 PM.
    PRAETORIANNI NONNUMQUAM IN PROELIO NUMQUAM IN BELLO SUPERANTUR

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bklyn NY !!
    Posts
    913
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 62 Times in 51 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by dennder View Post
    Because i red what does the dude who discovered it wrote. And according to him it is least invasive and easily switchable off. Read less news and more sources pls.



    I was using HTC for quite some time, and was using it as SSH terminal for many computers including servers (do you have an idea what it means?), not to mention the wi-fi hotspot for my laptop, go figure what i have "lost"...
    And i thought that by switching off all location etc. services i was more or less safe from data snooping. Most importantly, since i knew apple likes to snoop around, and i didn't like it very much, i got myself an android in a hope, that linux-based mobile will be safer in that particular matter. What a fking fool i was. Darth Wader's "noooo" shout was a whisper in comparison to my craziness that day.
    I suddenly wished i had an iPhone... i don't give a fk about photos / music on my device.
    why do you wish you had an iPhone? apple used carrier IQ also so what would you have gained by using iOS?

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    why do you wish you had an iPhone? apple used carrier IQ also so what would you have gained by using iOS?
    Because he is not just getting his information from this post. @chpwn tweeted days ago that carrier iq is completely different in iOS than it is in Android. Carrier, phone number and location are used in the iOS version, but location is only used when location services are enabled. And from the research he did the iOS version, he did not find any keylogging. Also, IOS may only have it enabled when diagnostic logging is enabled. There is more info than I am going to type out here at blog.chpwn.com

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by blwallace5 View Post
    Because he is not just getting his information from this post. @chpwn tweeted days ago that carrier iq is completely different in iOS than it is in Android. Carrier, phone number and location are used in the iOS version, but location is only used when location services are enabled. And from the research he did the iOS version, he did not find any keylogging. Also, IOS may only have it enabled when diagnostic logging is enabled. There is more info than I am going to type out here at blog.chpwn.com
    Quoted from chpwn's site.

    CoreTelephony
    your phone number
    your carrier
    your country
    active phone calls
    (However, I only saw it noting that a phone call was active, not what number was dialed or it was received from. But, I am not going to claim it doesnít do that: itís certainly possible, but didnít see it.)
    CoreLocation
    your location (Only, however, if Location Services are enabled.)
    (Possibly more I havenít yet found.)
    I'm glad, I have 4 log files that CIQ has logged & probably sent (or waiting to be sent, don't know if there removed after sending)

    Not happy if they do log key presses, as like some one else said I do to use my idevices to do my banking & purchasing online.
    Apple are Control freaks we need to stop them before they take over the world!!

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by boxxa View Post
    If anyone read ATT's terms, this is kind of a useless argument. It is like visiting a website and being shocked to find out that the site is looking through logs and viewing IPs of users and how they interact with the site.3.6 AT&T collects information about the approximate location of your Device in relation to our cell towers and the Global Positioning System (GPS). We use that information, as well as other usage and performance information also obtained from our network and your Device, to provide you with wireless voice and data services, and to maintain and improve our network and the quality of your wireless experience. We may also use location information to create aggregate data from which your personally identifiable information has been removed or obscured. Such aggregate data may be used for a variety of purposes such as scientific and marketing research and services such as vehicle traffic volume monitoring. It is your responsibility to notify users on your account that we may collect and use location information from Devices.
    Yeah, there's nothing in there about key logging, which includes passwords and other account access info, that doesn't even get encrypted. That's what was shown on some phone with an Android OS last week. I think that's what has people so up in arms about - the fact that sensitive info is being logged without being encrypted.

  17. #17
    And from the research he did the iOS version, he did not find any keylogging.

  18. #18
    Default Turn Carrier IQ off
    CIQ can be turned off on the AT&T iPhone 4 with the ios4 or os5 operating system and I assume that the Verizon phone is the same. Settings>General>Diagnostics & Usage. I assume the Lawyers missed this bit of information.

    Quote Originally Posted by rvance View Post
    Yea, that's a good question. I have a new 4s which I got on launch, so do I have or no? and if I do, how do I get rid of it?

    Oh btw I'm with Verizon if that make any difference.
    To turn off Carrier IQ go to Settings>General>Diagnostics & Usage and disable it.
    Last edited by icespur; 12-07-2011 at 07:47 AM.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by imans View Post
    And from the research he did the iOS version, he did not find any keylogging.
    I was referring to the above-quoted section of the AT&T terms as it applies to Android and RIM phones, which CIQ was shown to log keystrokes, without encrypting anything.

  20. #20
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    487
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 39 Times in 31 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by icespur View Post
    CIQ can be turned off on the AT&T iPhone 4 with the ios4 or os5 operating system and I assume that the Verizon phone is the same. Settings>General>Diagnostics & Usage. I assume the Lawyers missed this bit of information.



    To turn off Carrier IQ go to Settings>General>Diagnostics & Usage and disable it.
    I can't find this in iOS 4. Only iOS 5 perhaps?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •