+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Syrian Government Bans iPhone

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Image of the notice banning the iPhone Syrian officials are handing out to activists. The Syrian government has banned the iPhone in an attempt to prevent protesters from filming the
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Syrian Government Bans iPhone

Image of the notice banning the iPhone Syrian officials are handing out to activists.

The Syrian government has banned the iPhone in an attempt to prevent protesters from filming the increasingly violent clashes between the government and activists.

The Syrian conflict, inspired by the Arab Spring, has been going on for eight months and shows no signs of slowing down. November proved to be the deadliest month in an already horrific timeline with nearly 1,000 people killed. The United Nations estimates the conflict has claimed more than 4,000 lives since its inception. However, these numbers could be far greater, as Syria has prevented nearly all foreign media and other entities from entering or staying in the country.

Because of the Syrian government's efforts to prevent the outside world from covering the protests and the government's subsequent atrocities, those protesting have relied on cell phones and other handheld devices to capture images and movies of the uprising. The Syrian Finance Ministry’s Customs Department is serving activists with notices reading “The authorities warn anyone against using the iPhone in Syria.” It isn’t known if other smartphones will be impacted by the government's efforts to prevent citizen journalism, but it seems very likely. The crackdown is a blatant effort by the Syrian government to prevent the uprising from gaining further traction within the country and abroad.

However, the activists’ efforts have already resulted in political pressure and economic sanctions from Syria’s allies, neighbors, the U.N. and pretty much everyone not themselves. Hopefully the Syrian people can withstand the brutal assault from their own government and persevere.

Source: The Next Web
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 12-05-2011 at 07:45 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

The whole thing appeared to be a fake because the only source was a paper that spread on Facebook which can be reproduced to ban any other item, it's just an attempt from the opposition to worsen the image of the regime even more.

Banned
    Thanks

How many Syrians can afford the iPhone anyway? and any phone with a camera can be used. FAKE.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Who cares about them!!!!!!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    How many Syrians can afford the iPhone anyway? and any phone with a camera can be used. FAKE.
    Trust me, the iPhone is pretty popular in Syria, Syria is not a poor country as you would think.

Thanks

I'm always amazed that in very poor countries, people still have iPhones. Like last year in India, when millions of iPhone 4s sold out 4 hours after release.
    (before anyone says "the iPhone 4s wasn't released last year" notice the small "s" meaning plural.)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Donnutt View Post
    I'm always amazed that in very poor countries, people still have iPhones. Like last year in India, when millions of iPhone 4s sold out 4 hours after release.
    (before anyone says "the iPhone 4s wasn't released last year" notice the small "s" meaning plural.)
    Am sorry I have to disagree with your assessment of tagging India a "very poor country". Agreed there is not as much bullion as US, but India is no mean country and India is the potential market for a lot of new technology.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vramkumar View Post
    Am sorry I have to disagree with your assessment of tagging India a "very poor country". Agreed there is not as much bullion as US, but India is no mean country and India is the potential market for a lot of new technology.
    I've been to India and it is one of the poorest countries I ever visited, and random oasis of wealth dont make up for the rest of the country .

iPhone? More like MyPhone Kil0111's Avatar
    Thanks

lol

Removed for being inappropriate. This is your sixth and final warning -

Green Apple
    Thanks

^^^ i agree, but its sadly still believable

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mlopato View Post
    I've been to India and it is one of the poorest countries I ever visited, and random oasis of wealth dont make up for the rest of the country .
    Bro it's all depend which part of india u had visited.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

The only camera available there is on an iPhone?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by saeedsaf View Post
    The whole thing appeared to be a fake because the only source was a paper that spread on Facebook which can be reproduced to ban any other item, it's just an attempt from the opposition to worsen the image of the regime even more.
    Do you have proof that "this is just an attemp....", or perhaps you should say instead that this "COULD BE JUST AN ATTEMP..."

In your wording you act as if you knew the facts without a doubt, in my wording, I correctly state that it is just a possibility.

Quit acting as if you are absolutely right, when you probably don't know more than anyone else.

Cheers

Art

My iPhone is a Part of Me Madman604x's Avatar
    Thanks

banned because no other phone in the world has the ability to record a movie...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If this is true, is it even legally binding to apple? Is Syria's government still recognized as such
    I suppose apple won't be able to open any grand new retail outlets in Syria.. Watch out if you have any apple stock.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mastuul's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow, it's sad to read some of the posts that pop up on political articles.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vramkumar View Post
    Syria's not a poor country by any means, the average Syrian spends around $200 each time he goes to a restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by artbatista View Post
    Do you have proof that "this is just an attemp....", or perhaps you should say instead that this "COULD BE JUST AN ATTEMP..."

In your wording you act as if you knew the facts without a doubt, in my wording, I correctly state that it is just a possibility.

Quit acting as if you are absolutely right, when you probably don't know more than anyone else.

Cheers

Art
    I'm Syrian, and yes I know the document is fake, moreover, usually when the government bans any product the public gets to know from an official announcement from the govt. and not through a leaked document on facebook that can be easily photoshopped.
    Last edited by saeedsaf; 12-06-2011 at 11:19 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

dude im syrian (now in canada) and i used to live in damascus and everyone uses iphone its not that poor if u go to damascus the people who work for the governemnt are stinking rich