Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Licensed Scrolling Patent to Nokia and IBM, Not Samsung

Default Apple Licensed Scrolling Patent to Nokia and IBM, Not Samsung

Apple’s legal strategy in the ongoing global mobile patent war has resembled a no-holds-barred assault on other companies with no room for licensing agreements. Or has it?

Patent number #7,469,381 covers a “scrollback” function in iOS that displays the background texture when users scroll beyond the edge of a document or webpage. Apple even used the patent in its argument against Samsung in an attempt to get an injunction against their Galaxy devices. However, Apple has licensing agreements with Nokia and IBM for the very same patent. Apple offered Samsung a licensing agreement in November of 2010, but negotiations broke down and the two sides never reached a settlement.

Confirmation of the patent 381’s licensing to Nokia and IBM was shown to The Verge via the redacted statements above. Patent 38 is likely part of the cross licensing agreement between Apple and Nokia after the two companies settled a two-year legal battle this summer. During the coverage of this agreement Apple stated “the majority of innovation that makes the iPhone unique.” The fact Apple sued Nokia, Samsung, and HTC over patent 381 proves the company believes they have a strong patent according to The Verge. But, Apple licensing out a “strong patent” that the courts indicated they could successfully leverage against Samsung in an infringement case doesn’t seem very Apple like.

Why negotiations fell apart between Apple and Samsung remains unclear. Apple likely requested licensing fees Samsung had no interest in paying. The injunctions awarded in favor of Apple against Samsung, the reversals, and Samsung’s similar successes against Apple recently indicate an agreement between the two companies isn’t coming anytime soon.

Source: The Verge
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 12-04-2011 at 07:29 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Painkiller006's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Swanson View Post
    The fact Apple sued Nokia, Samsung, HTC, and Samung over patent 381 proves the company believes they have a strong patent according to The Verge.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Down with Samsung!

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    Down with Samsung!
    Let's start the samsung v.s. apple war!

Samsung for the win! :P

There are 3 things left to do:1) Admire that incredible back-scrolling feature that is worth a bajillion dollars2) Thank God, for not being a lawyer3) Sing Imagine, by John Lennon

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

HAHA
    HAHA
    HAHA
    (Simpons-Nelson)

Quote Originally Posted by Painkiller006 View Post
    They sued Samsung twice

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

am goin to license Apple to use word Apple since i love Apple's and it hurts my feeling that i cant eat their idevices!

but i also love apple bottom's the most !

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by delusion950 View Post
    am goin to license Apple to use word Apple since i love Apple's and it hurts my feeling that i cant eat their idevices!

but i also love apple bottom's the most !
    Watch Apple will Patient the word Apple so ever time it's used online they get $1.00

Quote Originally Posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
    Watch Apple will Patient the word Apple so ever time it's used online they get $1.00
    I want to patent the word patent.so each time apple want to patent riduculous things,I will sue their ***..lol

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Samsung will just do what Apple does, first claim that Apple ask for too much for the patent then use it anyways without authorization.

Seem to work for Apple when they steals other people's cough cough Nokia GSM patent as an example cough cough
    Last edited by unison999; 12-06-2011 at 06:22 PM.