Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: TinyUmbrella Updated for iOS 5.1

  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    4,385
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 144 Times in 129 Posts

    Default TinyUmbrella Updated for iOS 5.1

    The TinyUmbrella utility has been updated to support iOS 5.1.

    Notcom’s TinyUmbrella, the utility used to save your iOS device’s SHSH blobs for future firmware downgrades has been updated to support the recently released iOS 5.1 beta.

    iOS 5.1 beta is the latest iOS firmware seeded to Apple developers. As of right now, there hasn’t been much information about what additions have been made. What we do know is the following: the battery issues persist, support for the iPad on the Sprint Network has been found, and it will expire on January 14th, 2012 (as per a tweet from iH8sn0w).

    It was previously warned that jailbreakers should not update past iOS 5.0 and furthermore, it should be known that there is no way to downgrade as of right now. It still doesn’t hurt to save your iDevice’s SHSH blobs to have them on file just in case...

    From the TinyUmbrella blog:
    Before you ask; Yes a solution for the 5.x firmware nonce is being investigated… None of us have a working solution yet though. Hang tight. I have a couple trails and ideas I am trying out for 4.x baseband based restores to avoid 10xx errors. Until then save your signatures as you will never know when they may come in handy…
    As you probably already know, there is no untethered jailbreak available for the iPhone 4S or iOS 5 but we still recommend that you save your SHSH blobs. You may end up needing the SHSH blobs in the future and at the very least, it’s better to be safe than sorry.

    You can download TinyUmbrella for Mac OS X here.
    You can download TinyUmbrella for Windows here.

    Source: TinyUmbrella

    Twitter: @AkshayMasand

  2. #2
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    165
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 55 Times in 30 Posts

    So has Cydia been saving the shsh blobs since 5.0 was released? I just had a quick check on my and the Mrs's devices and the latest shsh we both have saved is 4.3.5. Both phones have been jailbroken since 4.0. I was under the impression that once you had jailbroken and told Cydia to 'Make my life easier' that all shsh were saved automatically. Is this not that case with 5.0 and above?

  3. #3
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    131
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by FinalBillybong View Post
    So has Cydia been saving the shsh blobs since 5.0 was released? I just had a quick check on my and the Mrs's devices and the latest shsh we both have saved is 4.3.5. Both phones have been jailbroken since 4.0. I was under the impression that once you had jailbroken and told Cydia to 'Make my life easier' that all shsh were saved automatically. Is this not that case with 5.0 and above?
    I don't think cydia saves 5.0+ shsh files. I have mine for 5.0+ but when I query cydia I get 4.3.5 as newest saved shsh.

  4. #4
    How do you query cydia?
    Black iPhone 4 32G jail-broken iOS 5.1 R.P

  5. #5
    something is cooking up there. *waiting*

  6. #6
    Will this save 4s ?

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by FinalBillybong View Post
    So has Cydia been saving the shsh blobs since 5.0 was released? I just had a quick check on my and the Mrs's devices and the latest shsh we both have saved is 4.3.5. Both phones have been jailbroken since 4.0. I was under the impression that once you had jailbroken and told Cydia to 'Make my life easier' that all shsh were saved automatically. Is this not that case with 5.0 and above?
    The best way to check this is to use tiny umbrella and check the box that says request SHSH from Cydia. This will save to your PC all blobs on file with Cydia. Then uncheck that box to get the newest 5.1 SHSH blob from Apple. Whatever is returned from Cydia is what they have on file. I hope this helps, even though they have found no use for 5.0+ SHSH blobs yet; have faith, the jb community is very strong. Good luck!

  8. #8
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    131
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts

    You can check with ishshit too.

  9. #9
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    165
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 55 Times in 30 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by iSteveO View Post
    The best way to check this is to use tiny umbrella and check the box that says request SHSH from Cydia. This will save to your PC all blobs on file with Cydia. Then uncheck that box to get the newest 5.1 SHSH blob from Apple. Whatever is returned from Cydia is what they have on file. I hope this helps, even though they have found no use for 5.0+ SHSH blobs yet; have faith, the jb community is very strong. Good luck!
    Thanks SteveO. I actually already did that. So I guess as I didn't use TU to grab the 5.0 shsh when Apple were signing them I now can't ever.

    I know there is no way to downgrade but with semaphore saying they are trying to get a solution I thought it might be a possibility in the future.

    Does anyone know why Cydia is not saving 5.0+ blobs? Surely it would better to save them than not. Even if they turn out to be useless.
    If I helped please head on over and smash the Thanks button.

    My Personal Cydia source: apt.finalbillybong.com

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by FinalBillybong View Post
    Thanks SteveO. I actually already did that. So I guess as I didn't use TU to grab the 5.0 shsh when Apple were signing them I now can't ever.

    I know there is no way to downgrade but with semaphore saying they are trying to get a solution I thought it might be a possibility in the future.

    Does anyone know why Cydia is not saving 5.0+ blobs? Surely it would better to save them than not. Even if they turn out to be useless.
    Yes it's bc apple banned the amazon servers that Curia is hosted on from accessing the apple blob servers so Curia can not back them up anymore for you.

  11. #11
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    165
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 55 Times in 30 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by tangus999 View Post
    Yes it's bc apple banned the amazon servers that Curia is hosted on from accessing the apple blob servers so Curia can not back them up anymore for you.
    Thank you for the clarification tangus!
    If I helped please head on over and smash the Thanks button.

    My Personal Cydia source: apt.finalbillybong.com

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by FinalBillybong View Post
    So has Cydia been saving the shsh blobs since 5.0 was released? I just had a quick check on my and the Mrs's devices and the latest shsh we both have saved is 4.3.5. Both phones have been jailbroken since 4.0. I was under the impression that once you had jailbroken and told Cydia to 'Make my life easier' that all shsh were saved automatically. Is this not that case with 5.0 and above?
    Cydia probably doesn't save blobs for 5.x since there is no way to downgrade yet... TinyUmbrella is the way to go because it can download your blobs from cydia and any new ones from apple... just make sure to do it on both devices

  13. #13
    I do not understand the "there is no way to downgrade from ios 5x back to ios 4x. I have personally succesfully done so 3 times on 2 different devices...

  14. #14
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    131
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Deeplock View Post
    I do not understand the "there is no way to downgrade from ios 5x back to ios 4x. I have personally succesfully done so 3 times on 2 different devices...
    That's not the issue, going from 5.0.1 to 5.0 is the problem, can't and probably won't happen. 5.x to 4.x is easy as long as you have the shsh files saved for 4.x It all has to do with a nonce code in the verification now. No more replay attacks.

  15. #15
    Question...so is there a way to save 5.0 shsh blobs??

  16. #16
    Superbad Modder-ator Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bermuda
    Posts
    46,790
    Thanks
    7,006
    Thanked 15,564 Times in 7,113 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by rudylo1 View Post
    Question...so is there a way to save 5.0 shsh blobs??
    not anymore

  17. #17
    The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    2,127
    Thanks
    55
    Thanked 94 Times in 88 Posts

    I thought iOS 5 no longer used SHSH blobs(?)

    secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

  18. #18
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    131
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 View Post
    I thought iOS 5 no longer used SHSH blobs(?)
    They still use shsh blobs but added a nonce rule no longer allowing you to reuse future shsh files to restore to 5.x.

  19. #19
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Italia411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    upstate NY
    Posts
    171
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts

    This is horrible! I use to be an avid jail breaker and I have missed the bus twice. I bought my iPad 2 on 4.3.5 so I missed out on the 4.3.3 fun and I bought my 4s on 5.0.1, I'm guessing I will never be able to jail break these devices.

  20. #20
    My iPhone is a Part of Me Donnutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Great Falls Montana
    Posts
    537
    Thanks
    28
    Thanked 47 Times in 34 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Italia411 View Post
    This is horrible! I use to be an avid jail breaker and I have missed the bus twice. I bought my iPad 2 on 4.3.5 so I missed out on the 4.3.3 fun and I bought my 4s on 5.0.1, I'm guessing I will never be able to jail break these devices.
    I have my iPhone 4 iOS 5.0.1 jailbroken semi-tethered. I'm happy with it. Get all my jailbreak toys but the two times my phone needed to be rebooted since rooting, I wasn't left with a brick. Just an un-jailbroken phone till I got home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •