+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Releases Statement Clarifying Carrier IQ in iDevices

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Carrier IQ isn't popular right now, and Apple finally issued a statement clarifying their relationship with the unpopular spyware company. Apple’s Statement: We stopped supporting CarrierIQ with iOS 5 in
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Releases Statement Clarifying Carrier IQ in iDevices

Carrier IQ isn't popular right now, and Apple finally issued a statement clarifying their relationship with the unpopular spyware company.

Apple’s Statement:

We stopped supporting CarrierIQ with iOS 5 in most of our products and will remove it completely in a future software update. With any diagnostic data sent to Apple, customers must actively opt-in to share this information, and if they do, the data is sent in an anonymous and encrypted form and does not include any personal information. We never recorded keystrokes, messages or any other personal information for diagnostic data and have no plans to ever do so. — Apple
    Apple's statement follows what many have already discovered about Carrier IQ in iOS. The extent of information Carrier IQ collects within iOS falls short of Apple counterparts. Carrier IQ logs the iOS device's location and whether or not a call was made or received. However, this only happens if the user manually turns on the diagnostic option, which used to be buried in menus before iOS 5. However, during any iOS 5 device's initial setup users are given the opportunity to turn on or off diagnostics, a far cry from the program running in the background at all times without the ability to turn it off short of rooting the phone.

Apple and other companies continue to distance themselves from Carrier IQ. Senator Al Franken has even initiated an investigation into the matter. While it is still unclear how, why and who has the data Carrier IQ logged on millions of devices answers will hopefully be made available sooner than later.

Source: Tech Crunch
    Last edited by Cer0; 12-01-2011 at 10:37 PM.

Thanks

Still not any nearer in understanding what this is all about

Thanks

Apple and other companies continue to distance themselves from Carrier IQ. Senator Al Franken has even initiated an investigation into the matter. While it is still unclear how, why and who has the data Carrier IQ logged on millions of devices answers will hopefully be made available sooner than later.

Apple and other companies continue to distance themselves from Carrier IQ. Senator Al Franken has even initiated an investigation into the matter. While it is still unclear how, why and who has the data Carrier IQ logged on millions of devices answers will hopefully be made available soon.
    guess this section is so important it had to be posted twice :P

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I will be suing if they're found to be in the wrong. Well at least i hope there's a class action... i have to pay for school

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Colby21 View Post
    I will be suing if they're found to be in the wrong. Well at least i hope there's a class action... i have to pay for school
    This right here is what's wrong with America. Do you have any damages, would you have even realized what was going on had there not been an article on it? I don't agree with CarrierIQ, but a frivolous law suit is even worse.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GTOhaas07 View Post
    This right here is what's wrong with America. Do you have any damages, would you have even realized what was going on had there not been an article on it? I don't agree with CarrierIQ, but a frivolous law suit is even worse.
    You nailed it on the head. They found out, are supposedly fixing it so let it go. Don't take advice from Apple and go sue-happy on everyone. It's a waste of yours and everyone else's time and money.
    Last edited by Holyloktar; 12-01-2011 at 04:43 PM.

Thanks

Yeah my right to privacy has been compromised, a fundamental right that we all have as citizens of the United States, and from that, monetary gain was earned by Carrier IQ, now i want the money that was made, from my rights being violated. Sorry, but when the government wants to give handouts to people who do drugs and are non productive with their welfare checks and not going anywhere in life...just stagnant (now i'm speaking in general, no need to go all PC on me) and they don't want to help out college kids who are killing themselves, working 2 jobs, going to school full time, trying to keep a roof over their heads, food in their stomachs and make something of themselves for the future, then yeah... i'll take matters into my own hands. I had to join the service so i can pay for school, and i'm still busting my *** to pay bills! Especially when my rights are violated, i'm not gonna sit down and "read" about it. I'll talk to an attorney and consider my options. You do what you want and worry about yourself. Don't worry about me. And no, i wouldn't have realized what was going on had there not been an article about it, because CIQ did this behind everyone's back! All the more reason to bankrupt those sneaky bastards. Sorry, but i take things personally, i don't just bend over and take it like most people do. Do you vote? Do you pay taxes? I'm putting in my time to serve this country, and i'm not going to let my rights be violated. The same rights that my brother and I bust our asses, day in and day out, to protect.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by x_Whiplash_x View Post
    guess this section is so important it had to be posted twice :P

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yeah my right to privacy has been compromised, a fundamental right that we all have as citizens of the United States, and from that, monetary gain was earned by Carrier IQ, now i want the money that was made, from my rights being violated. Sorry, but when the government wants to give handouts to people who do drugs and are non productive with their welfare checks and not going anywhere in life...just stagnant (now i'm speaking in general, no need to go all PC on me) and they don't want to help out college kids who are killing themselves, working 2 jobs, going to school full time, trying to keep a roof over their heads, food in their stomachs and make something of themselves for the future, then yeah... i'll take matters into my own hands. I had to join the service so i can pay for school, and i'm still busting my *** to pay bills! Especially when my rights are violated, i'm not gonna sit down and "read" about it. I'll talk to an attorney and consider my options. You do what you want and worry about yourself. Don't worry about me. And no, i wouldn't have realized what was going on had there not been an article about it, because CIQ did this behind everyone's back! All the more reason to bankrupt those sneaky bastards. Sorry, but i take things personally, i don't just bend over and take it like most people do. Do you vote? Do you pay taxes? I'm putting in my time to serve this country, and i'm not going to let my rights be violated. The same rights that my brother and I bust our asses, day in and day out, to protect.
    seriously?

Thanks

Don't know how i can be so passionate about something and not be serious. He asked a question, i answered it. Now you don't have to ask anymore. I wouldn't be passionate about it if i was just "sue-happy". This really pisses me off.
    Last edited by Colby21; 12-01-2011 at 04:58 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Boker's Avatar
    Thanks

Don't know how i can be so passionate about something and not be serious. He asked a question, i answered it. Now you don't have to ask anymore. I wouldn't be passionate about it if i was just "sue-happy". This really pisses me off.
    Lol wah wah.. Just click the next article and move on.. Stuff like this happens all the time. You use google don't you? Are you a member of a social network? If so your life is not so private already...

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,328 Times in 722 Posts

Well I don't know about you Colby but met me leave you with these words "GOODLUCK" (and I don't mean that in an ******* way

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Boker View Post
    Lol wah wah.. Just click the next article and move on.. Stuff like this happens all the time. You use google don't you? Are you a member of a social network? If so your life is not so private already...
    No social network. And i use bing. You want me to move on but you keep asking me questions. you move on and worry about yourself.

Thanks

No social network. And i use bing. You want me to move on but you keep asking me questions. you move on and worry about yourself.
    What a pointless argument both of you are having ... If you read the article it says that Apples lets you opt' out ... So Colby drop the lawsuit talk ..... Lol and it's true the more questions you ask this guy the more wise guy remarks your gonna get ... "I use bing" ... Lol we found the only guy in Amercia that does ... What does he win? .... Let's get all PC on his ***!!! No homo!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lighter View Post
    What a pointless argument both of you are having ... If you read the article it says that Apples lets you opt' out ... So Colby drop the lawsuit talk ..... Lol and it's true the more questions you ask this guy the more wise guy remarks your gonna get ... "I use bing" ... Lol we found the only guy in Amercia that does ... What does he win? .... Let's get all PC on his ***!!! No homo!
    Sorry about my outburst earlier. I was just in a ****** mood already and this article put me over the top. I apologize to everyone. And i don't use bing that much... it sucks.
    I apologize to Phillip Swanson for pretty much hijacking his article. Won't happen again. Have a good evening.

dsg
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,790 Times in 713 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rabbit_ View Post
    Still not any nearer in understanding what this is all about
    it's about privacy and the right to have it, Carrier IQ has violated that and any company that used the Carrier IQ's data mining software

*T*
    Thanks

Sorry about my outburst earlier. I was just in a ****** mood already and this article put me over the top. I apologize to everyone. And i don't use bing that much... it sucks.
    I apologize to Phillip Swanson for pretty much hijacking his article. Won't happen again. Have a good evening.
    Troll apologizes? Incredible! If you are busting your balls all day, where do you find time to gab on a freaking tech site? What makes you think we want a lecture anyway.

Just go sue the pants off apple and leave us out of it. Why do you need to tell us? Why do you have to piss off everyone else?

I'm 13 years old. I got a 51 on a math test. You don't see me whining about my problems on the Internet. Because no one GIVES A ****.
    Last edited by *T*; 12-01-2011 at 06:50 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

You want to know what else I don't like? Service members who flaunt their like it somehow entitles them to anything more than the rest of this country. I'm in the military myself and we are no better than any other US citizen so stop right there with that. I fight for the same things you do but I don't walk around with the same false sense of entitlement that you berate in your own post. No one is forcing you to buy a phone with that software on it. That's the nice thing about a free market, you aren't forced to buy anything.

Also, if you're on active duty and are having a hard time paying for school you are doing it wrong. TA is a wonderful thing. TA not get approved, you can use your Post 9/11 GI bill. Seriously dude, stop with this sob story.

Thanks

A class action lawsuit agains who? Its not that simple. Carrier IQ provided software that manufacturers and or carriers decided to include in their cell phones. If you're going to sue the makers of Carrier IQ, you're going to really have to go after the manufacturers and carriers that paid them for that software.

Thanks

Colby glad you came around!

Everyone else.. he apologized and even said.. he was having a crappy day...

so relax...