Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Releases Statement Clarifying Carrier IQ in iDevices

Default Contract breach
    Quote Originally Posted by lighter View Post
    Colby glad you came around!

Everyone else.. he apologized and even said.. he was having a crappy day...

so relax...
    I wonder if this can be grounds to get out of your carrier Contract
    Last edited by fulcrom; 12-01-2011 at 10:23 PM.
    When all you have is a hammer "every problem look like a nail"

iPhone? More like MyPhone MYPHONEI's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fulcrom View Post
    I wonder if this can be grounds to get out of your carrier Contract
    LOL right, The Carrier has the right to collect data on you when you sign the contract, read the small print and many pages, Companies Like At&t think because its in the contract its moral and legal

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Colby21 View Post
    Yeah my right to privacy has been compromised, a fundamental right that we all have as citizens of the United States, and from that, monetary gain was earned by Carrier IQ, now i want the money that was made, from my rights being violated. Sorry, but when the government wants to give handouts to people who do drugs and are non productive with their welfare checks and not going anywhere in life...just stagnant (now i'm speaking in general, no need to go all PC on me) and they don't want to help out college kids who are killing themselves, working 2 jobs, going to school full time, trying to keep a roof over their heads, food in their stomachs and make something of themselves for the future, then yeah... i'll take matters into my own hands. I had to join the service so i can pay for school, and i'm still busting my *** to pay bills! Especially when my rights are violated, i'm not gonna sit down and "read" about it. I'll talk to an attorney and consider my options. You do what you want and worry about yourself. Don't worry about me. And no, i wouldn't have realized what was going on had there not been an article about it, because CIQ did this behind everyone's back! All the more reason to bankrupt those sneaky bastards. Sorry, but i take things personally, i don't just bend over and take it like most people do. Do you vote? Do you pay taxes? I'm putting in my time to serve this country, and i'm not going to let my rights be violated. The same rights that my brother and I bust our asses, day in and day out, to protect.
    Nevermind then

iPhone? More like MyPhone Go Gators's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by *T* View Post
    Troll apologizes? Incredible! If you are busting your balls all day, where do you find time to gab on a freaking tech site? What makes you think we want a lecture anyway.

Just go sue the pants off apple and leave us out of it. Why do you need to tell us? Why do you have to piss off everyone else?

I'm 13 years old. I got a 51 on a math test. You don't see me whining about my problems on the Internet. Because no one GIVES A ****.
    He apologized, let it go! Jeez! Well, you are only 13. You should be studying your math right now rather than surfing the net! Failing 8th grade math is not to bright.

Quote Originally Posted by Colby21 View Post
    Yeah my right to privacy has been compromised, a fundamental right that we all have as citizens of the United States, and from that, monetary gain was earned by Carrier IQ, now i want the money that was made, from my rights being violated. Sorry, but when the government wants to give handouts to people who do drugs and are non productive with their welfare checks and not going anywhere in life...just stagnant (now i'm speaking in general, no need to go all PC on me) and they don't want to help out college kids who are killing themselves, working 2 jobs, going to school full time, trying to keep a roof over their heads, food in their stomachs and make something of themselves for the future, then yeah... i'll take matters into my own hands. I had to join the service so i can pay for school, and i'm still busting my *** to pay bills! Especially when my rights are violated, i'm not gonna sit down and "read" about it. I'll talk to an attorney and consider my options. You do what you want and worry about yourself. Don't worry about me. And no, i wouldn't have realized what was going on had there not been an article about it, because CIQ did this behind everyone's back! All the more reason to bankrupt those sneaky bastards. Sorry, but i take things personally, i don't just bend over and take it like most people do. Do you vote? Do you pay taxes? I'm putting in my time to serve this country, and i'm not going to let my rights be violated. The same rights that my brother and I bust our asses, day in and day out, to protect.

Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Go Gators View Post
    ...Failing 8th grade math is not to bright.
    Neither is 8th grade spelling or grammar.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Here are a few things to consider before getting all up in arms and trying to file a class action lawsuit just because you're in debt and you are bad at managing your money and need a way to pay off your credit cards:

A. Who really knows if Apple removed Carrier IQ from iOS 5.0 since it could just be a ploy to get people to upgrade and remove your jailbreak since as far as I know there are only beta untethered and tethered jailbreaks available but nothing really concrete.

B. Your contract gives your carrier the ability to analyze and store phone calls, text messages, and Internet usage for: diagnostic purposes and potential legal evidence if you're a criminal.

C. You haven't been harmed so you can't sue for anything. You didn't lose money, you didn't suffer physical harm, etc.

D. I GUARANTEE Carrier IQ is NOT storing your passwords, banking info, etc. because of the unnecessary need to do so and the potential legal implications of doing so as well as the obvious legal implications if they did and a hacker obtained access to it.

E. To anyone that says this violates your rights of privacy, it doesn't. What you do on your phone is your business since you own it. Once that crosses over into using their network, you no longer have a very strong claim. If you use their network to conduct your criminal activity then don't be surprised or upset if they (law enforcement with the aid of the network provider) used Carrier IQ to log your actions and track you and prosecute you.

All that being said, I don't like it and I'm going to scour the code on my phone to see if I can find a way to disable or remove it.

In the end, if you don't like it then don't use that phone or that network. It's a privilege not a right.

this is interesting

this is the part I found most interesting

The U.S. Senate has taken an interest in the controversy. Information Week notes that "Carrier IQ has received a letter from the United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary. This committee has a number of roles, and the privacy issues raised in this matter would fall under Internet privacy and possibly federal criminal law. Senator Al Franken drafted the letter as he is chairman of the Subcommittee on Privacy, Technology and the Law."

The letter asks for detailed information on what the software does, and whether it records or transmits any information. Carrier IQ has not yet formally responded.

Breaking Federal Wiretap Laws?
    Regardless of what the Senate's investigation concludes, the company may already be in violation of some federal laws. Former Justice Department official Paul Ohm, currently a law professor at the University of Colorado Law School, told Forbes, "If CarrierIQ has gotten the handset manufacturers to install secret software that records keystrokes intended for text messaging and the Internet and are sending some of that information back somewhere, this is very likely a federal wiretap. And that gives the people wiretapped the right to sue and provides for significant monetary damages."
    Carrier IQ is already heading to court, more info
    Last edited by dsg; 12-02-2011 at 09:06 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12