Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [How To] Tired of App Store Applications Being Mean to You Because You're Jailbroken?

Default [How To] Tired of App Store Applications Being Mean to You Because You're Jailbroken?

xCon is your one-stop-shop for ending the App Store application bullies.

There have been numerous App Store applications that can detect that an iDevice has been jailbroken. To name a few: Bloomberg Anywhere, Cablevision, Cisco M-Learning, DirecTV Pad, Grimm's Fairy Tale apps, Time Warner Cable, and Verizon OnDemand/FlexView. All of these applications will give you a hard time when you attempt to open them on a jailbroken iDevice. They will give you errors and they won't work. They are specifically programmed to check to see if a user's iDevice is jailbroken and in doing so, it triggers the response to not allow the application to run. We're not absolutely certain why these companies are against jailbreaking, but maybe Apple has something to do with it. Maybe Apple is in cahoots (this is a complete myth, don't take that seriously).

Anyway, since you cannot use those somewhat popular applications on a jailbroken iDevice, developer n00neimp0rtant has created a free Cydia tweak that aims to be a one-stop-solution to breaking the locks put on jailbroken devices with these applications. The tweak patches the applications that try to avoid jailbreakers by circumventing the code that checks to see if the iDevice has been jailbroken or not. In doing so, you can use any of the above italicized applications without any problems on a jailbroken iDevice.

That's pretty much all that it does and it might come in handy to some of you. If you're a user of any of the above italicized applications and you're tired of being bullied by the companies who make the applications, you can install this tweak to use their application regardless. The developer notes in the description that if you come across any other applications that don't take kindly to jailbreaks, you can email them and they will attempt to update xCon to break the lock on those applications as well.

Name: xCon
    Price: FREE
    Repo: Modmyi
    Version: 0.1.3
    Developer: n00neimp0rtant
    Editor's Rating:  4/5

Will you be downloading xCon to take control of the applications on your iDevice? If so, tell us in the comments below and let us know of any other applications that refuse to open when you are jailbroken.

Sources: Cydia
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 12-02-2011 at 09:57 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

MYPHONEI (12-02-2011)

Cool. Always good to see JB'ers winning over these apps. I think it's stupid that they block their apps to jailbroken devices anyways. If someone were to steal a paid app I could understand but several of those are free.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Donnutt's Avatar
    Thanks

Is Facebook one of them? Mine constantly crashes since I jailbroke on 5.01. It seemed to be fine on 5.0 though.

Green Apple
    Thanks

This didn't work for cablevision ... i logged in and gave me the same pop up as usual ... I guess i'll wait for an update to see if it works

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

The majority of those apps are from content distributors. One theory is that they are against jailbreakers because tweaks can be used to circumvent protections in their applications which are required by their content providers.For example, I use DirecTV app and there is a limitation against watching games using the app that are local games (NFL as an example). If you are jailbroken you can circumvent that by faking location. I know, I've done this.I would think that's the primary reason for most of those apps listed.

couldn't find it on Cydia what resp' is it in?

Quote Originally Posted by morehomes View Post
    couldn't find it on Cydia what resp' is it in?
    Says so in the article does it not?

Maybe add Skype aswell so you don't get that "Skype is only supported on unmodified iOS" message when you load the app.

Sorry, Cablevision has already been patched, I just need to submit the update.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mrrippey's Avatar
    Thanks

If the Good application can be patched, that would be awesome!

Still not working for Cablevision.

n00neimp0rtant, DirecTV patch works great! Thanks for all the hard work

Quote Originally Posted by n00neimp0rtant View Post
    Sorry, Cablevision has already been patched, I just need to submit the update.
    does this also disable VPN shut down on these apps?

very interested. Thanks.
    My iPhone 4 Mod Flickr Stream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/54754025@N07/

After installing xCon, The Cablevision app still gives the message: " It appears that this device in running an unauthorized modified version of Apple Operating System. Please install the latest Apple Operating System software update to use this application." It would really be great if this Cablevision app would work! Thank you for looking into this! Look forward to an update!

stupid ibooks tried this crap with me, but then i patched it. only problem is that it is now one of the apps that dont work when i boot into semi-tethered mode

verizon on demand doesn't work still. please fix thanks a ton for your hard work!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone DaMan05's Avatar
    Thanks

see, if other apps can see if you're jailbroken, you think Apple can't?people who think apple does everything to stop us are just wrong. apple knows that their sales would drop if their devices were unjailbreakable. I for one would not have an iPhone if I couldnt jailbreak it...

Quote Originally Posted by nypunk View Post
    This didn't work for cablevision ... i logged in and gave me the same pop up as usual ... I guess i'll wait for an update to see if it works
    Same for me.

I downloaded it and encountered several problems. Some of my apps wouldn't open, it opens and closes immediately. Now when I attach my device to my laptop (or outlet) it doesn't sync or charge, it has no effect. After I removed the package the apps open fine but it still does not recognize the usb. By double clicking the home button the device just goes black and reboots, this doesn't happen every time but so far 1 out of 5 times. I tried this package on iMathematics Pro, it did not work, I got the same pop up as before. Maybe its just me but I would say use at your own risk...

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Gruber View Post
    I downloaded it and encountered several problems. Some of my apps wouldn't open, it opens and closes immediately. Now when I attach my device to my laptop (or outlet) it doesn't sync or charge, it has no effect. After I removed the package the apps open fine but it still does not recognize the usb. By double clicking the home button the device just goes black and reboots, this doesn't happen every time but so far 1 out of 5 times. I tried this package on iMathematics Pro, it did not work, I got the same pop up as before. Maybe its just me but I would say use at your own risk...
    Well I can only speak for myself, but it's fantastic and works great for me. I can finally use my directv app again!
    Thanks n00neimp0rtant!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast