+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Kindle Fire Now Best Selling Tablet on Best Buy's Website, Kind of

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Kindle Fire Now Best Selling Tablet on Best Buy's Website, Kind of

Amazon’s Kindle Fire ousted the 16GB iPad from the top spot on Best Buy’s “Best Selling” tablet list. Tech Crunch quickly jumped on the story with the headline “The Kindle Fire Bests The iPad At BestBuy.com, Becomes The Retailer’s Best Selling Tablet Online.”

I’ll kindly disagree with their headline.

Yes the Kindle Fire is now positioned ahead of Apple’s 16GB iPad 2, but Tech Crunch assumes that the Kindle Fire’s sales are greater than the sales of every iPad 2 combined. I don’t doubt that the Kindle Fire is selling more than the Black 16GB iPad 2 on its own, but to insinuate that the Fire is outselling all of Apple’s tablets (9 variations) at Best Buy is ridiculous.

The Fire will undoubtedly come out on top of the Android tablet war. Both Barnes and Noble and Amazon know the war wont be won over specs and have joined Apple in their content oriented marketing strategies. But, the biggest advantage both devices hold over Apple is a substantially lower entry point price.

Also, the Kindle Fire is only available for in-store purchase. I’m not sure how a device ends up on top of the online “best seller” list when it’s only available offline. Best Buy has plenty of Fire’s available for purchase, every BB I called in the Southwest Michigan Area had more than a few on hand and none ran out of stock at any point over this past weekend’s shopping frenzy. The iPad on the other hand sold out in-store at multiple locations over the weekend as retailers struggled to meet demand for the more popular 16GB and 32GB models.

Amazon’s tablet will do well, but until hard sales figures emerge I’m not willing to use my or anyone else’s small slice of anecdotal evidence as proof one device is selling more than the other. That said, when this holiday season comes to an end the iPad 2, Kindle Fire, and Nook will be the Three Kings of the tablet market. I’ll predict that much.

Source: Tech Crunch

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

These thigns ARE selling like hotcakes. They can't keep them on the shelves. Android tablets are finally finding their place. People in the market for a high end tablet will likely go with an iPad. People on a much more strict budget will either go for the New Kindle Fire or Nook Tablet.

Thanks

friends dont let friends' rivals buy out news headlines :P

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

It's probably "Best Selling" for the last month not of all time. Kinda how so much Apple stuff is always best selling on the Apple Store and iOS/Mac App Stores.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Cellular's Avatar
    Thanks

Still loving the Samsung commercial! Lol it's so accurate.
    Apple ppl= control people
    Non apple ppl= we have this device...but it's not our lives...

Banned
    Thanks

Yes the Kindle Fire is now positioned ahead of Apple’s 16GB iPad 2, but Tech Crunch assumes that the Kindle Fire’s sales are greater than the sales of every iPad 2 combined. I don’t doubt that the Kindle Fire is selling more than the Black 16GB iPad 2 on its own, but to insinuate that the Fire is outselling all of Apple’s tablets (9 variations) at Best Buy is ridiculous.
    Where exactly in the Tech Crunch article do they "insinuate" that the Fire's sales are greater than the sales of every iPad 2 combined? If anyone insinuated that, it would be Best Buy via their bogus "Best Selling" sorting. The only thing Tech Crunch can be bashed for is their claim that "Amazon is well on its way to officially winning the Android tablet wars".

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I saw the fire at target yesterday. Looks like a very nice device indeed. Very responsive and bright screen. Only complaint is the lack of microphone (so it will never be possible to use with Skype). For $200 it easily qualifies as an impulse buy.

Thanks

Why do Apple fan boys instantly get their panties in a wad when a tech article comes out that says anything other than "Apple products are bestowed upon us by the gods?"

I'm probably a fanboy and I hope the Kindle Fire DOES outsell every iPad combined. Maybe Apple will realize there's a legitimate competitor and they'll either quit being so proprietary or lower their prices.

Competition benefits the consumer.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Phillip Swanson, I'm sure you love Apple products as much as the next guy but, is this really necessary to downgrade the good sales status that the Kindle Fire has? Come on! You and I know that the Kindle Fire will never surpass that of Apple. So what if, there is another product out there that is surfacing as a thread to Apple. That's a good thing; it will promote Apple to continue producing better products each year or each quarter. Why suppress a good thing when at the end Apple will always win?

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by miiphone75 View Post
    Phillip Swanson, I'm sure you love Apple products as much as the next guy but, is this really necessary to downgrade the good sales status that the Kindle Fire has? Come on! You and I know that the Kindle Fire will never surpass that of Apple. So what if, there is another product out there that is surfacing as a thread to Apple. That's a good thing; it will promote Apple to continue producing better products each year or each quarter. Why suppress a good thing when at the end Apple will always win?
    The real issue here is that if Best Buy didn't individually list every different version of iPad, all of the iPad models combined into a single item would likely be at the top of the list. Best Buy's site lists each iPad model as a separate item in their product lineup and the "Best Selling" sort probably does the same. The Fire could very well have recently outsold any particular iPad model individually, but most certainly not collectively.

Thanks

To the Author of the article, what the hell do you think best selling means? here ill give a big hint "Selling", here I'll help you again, in order for it to be best selling, it would have to have more sales. Hope that helps clear things up.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bry2k2 View Post
    To the Author of the article, what the hell do you think best selling means? here ill give a big hint "Selling", here I'll help you again, in order for it to be best selling, it would have to have more sales. Hope that helps clear things up.
    ditto!

Thanks

I wonder why the author here (Phillip) isn't complaining that best buy isn't including the sales of ALL kindle products too. He wants them to include total sales from all of Apple's tablets, yet mysteriously fails to make the same request for all the kindle products.

Anybody wanna hazard a guess at that one?

*EDIT: I suppose I could give him the benefit of the doubt since the different kindle models vary vastly in terms of capabilities whereas the only difference in iPad models is hard drive space.
    Last edited by AUZambo; 11-30-2011 at 03:36 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
    I wonder why the author here (Phillip) isn't complaining that best buy isn't including the sales of ALL kindle products too. He wants them to include total sales from all of Apple's tablets, yet mysteriously fails to make the same request for all the kindle products.

Anybody wanna hazard a guess at that one?
    Well said.

If they wanted to, they could have "best selling this month" and "best selling of all time" sort features

-Luke

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cellular View Post
    Still loving the Samsung commercial! Lol it's so accurate.
    Apple ppl= control people
    Non apple ppl= we have this device...but it's not our lives...
    absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
    Why do Apple fan boys instantly get their panties in a wad when a tech article comes out that says anything other than "Apple products are bestowed upon us by the gods?"

I'm probably a fanboy and I hope the Kindle Fire DOES outsell every iPad combined. Maybe Apple will realize there's a legitimate competitor and they'll either quit being so proprietary or lower their prices.

Competition benefits the consumer.
    Exactly !
    For example, I am angry that I have to return a $900 iPhone now to Apple during my 30-day refund period because I can't get a carrier to sell me a pay-as-you-go plan with data, only voice & msg; even though their websites seem to indicate that it is possible. (they both want me to buy monthly package, which is the whole reason I spent $900 for this iPhone in the first place: so that I WOULDN'T have to do monthly contract!)
    Both ATT and TMobile tell me that if I had an Android device, no problem.
    My friends mostly have Droid phones and the like, and they laugh at me when they see my problems with iPhones over the years.
    Last edited by bigmutt; 11-30-2011 at 05:15 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well I'm sure the whole slickdeals.net kindle fire price matching thing that's been going on since black friday has helped their sales quite a bit

iPhone? More like MyPhone DaLsim's Avatar
    Thanks

anyway you see it, ipad2 going down for the count...

Green Apple
    Thanks

I personally did not get the impression the author was complaining about anything. He merely seemed to be pointing out that a particular online periodical made a conclusion based on 'at best', faulty assumptions, gleaned from a drop down menu of a reseller. Furthermore, he goes on to back up his assertions with fairly logical reasoning for making them, and then points out the fact that they are just that, and he has no empirical evidence to back it up at the moment. Neither does TechCrunch, which was kind of the point.

I didn't see any personal bias or promotion of any particular product, I would welcome any of the previous posters to highlight the part of his post that contradicts me. Be careful what you start ;-)

@Bigmutt

I also fail to see how it's Apple's fault that the 2 US providers of GSM service in the US refuse to give somebody a data plan. I don't ***** at Ford because my GT500 can't be driven at it's top speed in a residential area, and complain that my friend's Schwinn can.
    Last edited by ishamiyal; 11-30-2011 at 10:11 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I just came back from vacation to Cancun. While I was lying on my beach chair on the beach, I saw 8 out of 10 people were holding their Kindles reading. I was shock that Kindles are that popular.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Kindles are eReaders
    Quote Originally Posted by baabaa View Post
    I just came back from vacation to Cancun. While I was lying on my beach chair on the beach, I saw 8 out of 10 people were holding their Kindles reading. I was shock that Kindles are that popular.
    Kindles are far better for what they are designed to do than an iPad is at the same task, for far less money. Battery life is exponentially better, and the display is far easier on the eyes- plus you have the Kindle library available with no contract for wireless delivery anywhere in the US. If you just want to read a book, the Kindle is great (DRM aside). It wouldn't surprise me that more people use them for that purpose. The iPad and other tablet devices (prior to the Fire) are designed to perform various media consumption tasks, but the trade off is price and complexity.