Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS 5.1 Beta Renders Home Screen Shortcuts for Settings Toggles Useless

Default iOS 5.1 Beta Renders Home Screen Shortcuts for Settings Toggles Useless

Apple must have a dull axe to grind with home screen settings toggle shortcuts as the iOS 5.1 beta prevents the previously reported shortcuts from working.

The shortcuts utilize URLs that redirect the user to a settings toggle menu. It’s a neat and seemingly harmless little trick with no Jailbreak required, which is why it seems so odd that Apple would make an effort to disable the functionality. We highlighted the free web-based shortcut solution Icon Settings and the $.99 App Store solution Icon Project a couple weeks ago. Both worked well, with the latter offering a decent amount of customizable options including the ability to have multi-function home screen settings buttons.

The future for both is grim, but for Icon Project the prospect of having your App Store app rendered useless is frightening. Icon Project is a well liked and well received addition to the App Store with a 4 star rating based on 225 reviews. While not a wild success, a good number of people have found the $.99 app worthy of a purchase.

Hopefully this is something Apple reverses in subsequent iOS 5.1 beta releases. They’re not only inconveniencing web-based apps, but they’re cannibalizing developers’ apps in the App Store without a clear reason to do so.

Source: iPhoneHacks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Is there a jailbreak for 5.1? redsn0w 0.9.9b8 doesn't work?

Quote Originally Posted by artysx View Post
    Not yet, its only a beta release. redsn0w 0.9.9b8 works with iOS 5.0.1. I imagine it wont be long till 5.1 is jailbroken as well, but it isn't a huge concern yet as the update wont be pushed to non-dev users for some time yet.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,477 Times in 7,086 Posts

Maybe they are planning on adding quick access to settings in a notification widget. Still dont see why they would block this.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Maybe they are planning on adding quick access to settings in a notification widget. Still dont see why they would block this.
    I agree and thought about that too. Even if they did it isn't an essential function of iOS that Apple makes money from. There's no real reason to block it.

They had better add a quick toggle widget to notification center already! ;-)

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

So IconProject no longer works?
    Quote Originally Posted by artysx View Post
    Why on earth would there be a jailbreak available when it hasn't been released for 5.0 iphone4s
    Last edited by BenderRodriguez; 11-30-2011 at 01:32 PM.

Apple is a PAIN IN THE ***** to deal with. They seem to go out of the way to block anything that is not how THEY want you to use THEIR device (yes, Virginia, until you jailbreak it it is their device... you are merely using it).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cpotoso For This Useful Post:

MYPHONEI (12-05-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpotoso View Post
    Apple is a PAIN IN THE ***** to deal with. They seem to go out of the way to block anything that is not how THEY want you to use THEIR device (yes, Virginia, until you jailbreak it it is their device... you are merely using it).
    you know I never look at it that way but damn it you are right!

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
    So IconProject no longer works?

Why on earth would there be a jailbreak available when it hasn't been released for 5.0 iphone4s
    Ok first of all, you need to stop acting like you know everything and freaking out at someone when they ask a simple question

And if you read the article, instead of being so harsh with somebody, you would know that it says that IconProject will no longer work in iOS 5.1.

BTW, what is the image on the right a screenshot of? It looks sick

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

Yeah, we just need the Dev Team to finish up the 4S untethered jailbreak so we can get SBSettings again.

And what happened to the iOS 5.0 exploit that they mentioned before? I haven't upgraded to 5.0.1 yet because I didn't want to miss out on the jailbreak.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PoEtikly's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The6uest View Post
    Yeah, we just need the Dev Team to finish up the 4S untethered jailbreak so we can get SBSettings again.

And what happened to the iOS 5.0 exploit that they mentioned before? I haven't upgraded to 5.0.1 yet because I didn't want to miss out on the jailbreak.
    Don't hold your breath. I am pretty much convinced that with the release of the CDT's crash reporter that nobody is able to find a way to untether an exploit. With as many great minds that are working on it you'd think they'd have found something by now. As long as tethered JB's remain available I'm happy I guess. None of these people owe us anything and certainly do not gain a paycheck for the things they give us. It truly is a matter of time before Apple completely blocks anyway to JB. Like I've said before, look at the time warner app, upon boot up it runs a verification process and if your phone is jailbroke that app will NOT run. All apple needs to do is set up a boot up verification process and whala, the phone won't boot up with an exploit and it'll have to be restored before its able to do so. Its very doable. I really think jailbreaking will eventually be an awesome possibility of the past.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Xenthis's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Toggle
    Quote Originally Posted by Imahottguy View Post
    They had better add a quick toggle widget to notification center already! ;-)
    It is called SBSettings..

Windows 7 x64
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.5ghz
    EVGA Nvidia GTX 570 Classified SLI
    1200watt Antec PSU
    Haf X
    EVGA P67 FTW
    Corsair H80
    Corsair Vengeance 16gig 8-8-8-24
    Sony Optiarc 24x

Quote Originally Posted by Xenthis View Post
    It is called SBSettings..
    Without using a jailbreak
    Quote Originally Posted by ikesmasher View Post
    that was officially the scariest thing you have ever said str4y.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho paco View Post
    Dude T.M.I

Without a jailbreak many many users will settle to Android!!! iOS keeps the user in jail...no freedom...no tweaks...just a ****** smartphone with limited functions...

Sad face

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sino84 View Post
    Without a jailbreak many many users will settle to Android!!! iOS keeps the user in jail...no freedom...no tweaks...just a ****** smartphone with limited functions...
    Two years ago you would be right, but now not so much. With 4.x and 5.x came functionality that makes the iphone more "usable" in a non jail broke state than previous iOS versions. Now cydia is just basically a theme store (I do not use themes much) compared to back in the 2.x/3.x days when cydia contained more functionality tweaks than themes. Today the main jailbreak thing is theming but back in 2.x days it was for functionality over looks. You couldn't send a picture message with the iPhone until jailbreak apps like swirly started up on cydia/installer. Today you don't need such apps and tweaks since over time apple has built many things into ios.(bitesms and mywi only two I still use consistently) So essentially making a jailbreak a lot less desirable than before.

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by -JailbreakeR- View Post
    Two years ago you would be right, but now not so much. With 4.x and 5.x came functionality that makes the iphone more "usable" in a non jail broke state than previous iOS versions. Now cydia is just basically a theme store (I do not use themes much) compared to back in the 2.x/3.x days when cydia contained more functionality tweaks than themes. Today the main jailbreak thing is theming but back in 2.x days it was for functionality over looks. You couldn't send a picture message with the iPhone until jailbreak apps like swirly started up on cydia/installer. Today you don't need such apps and tweaks since over time apple has built many things into ios.(bitesms and mywi only two I still use consistently) So essentially making a jailbreak a lot less desirable than before.
    I think this guy works for apple, less desirable to jailbreak? Cydia only good for themeing? What are you smoking?

I want more icons in a folder than twelve!! I want more icons on a Springboard page. I want arrange my icons how I like it!!! I want to change that ugly horrible photo icon!! I don't want that gradient Apple is using on the Springboard because it destroys every Wall!!! I want more icons in the dock!! I want all the cool tweaks for my 4S right now!! Miss them so much!...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
    I think this guy works for apple, less desirable to jailbreak? Cydia only good for themeing? What are you smoking?
    Wow. I never said it only good for theming, I said its turned into more themes than anything else. I'm just being honest I've been doing this since 1.1.x so I know what I'm talking about. There are fewer and fewer tweaks coming out and more and more themes. Especially with the new NC and such. Btw I do not work for apple and can't help you can't deal with the truth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast