+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Article: iTether Officially Removed From the App Store

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
It’s official, Apple removed iTether from the App Store. I’m still amazed during the development cycle of this App no one involved asked “hey, hasn’t every app that remotely does
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iTether Officially Removed From App Store

It’s official, Apple removed iTether from the App Store. I’m still amazed during the development cycle of this App no one involved asked “hey, hasn’t every app that remotely does what we’re trying to do get pulled from the App Store?" The company issued the following statement:

Around 12PM EST, Apple called our head office to let us know they were going to go ahead and pull our app iTether from the App Store. They stated it was because the app itself burdens the carrier network, however they offered us no way to remedy the solution… We were very clear when listing the app what the primary function was and they even followed up with several questions and requested a video demo then they approved the application.

We strongly disagree that it burdens a carrier’s network, as from our own data history on more than 500,000 users we know the average user consumes less than 200 MBs of data per month on Tether. In comparison, one TV show streamed from Netflix, an approved Apple App, could easily be in the 300-400 MBs range. Sure, there are some users that will consume way more than the average however that’s the case with any of these types of products.

Our team is very disappointed in Apple’s decision; as we strongly believe we help carriers better monetize their data stream by pushing customers into new data tiers further increasing their bottom-line. It is very anti-competitive to not allow any Tethering application to enter into this space to innovate. Our team has created a lot of innovative solutions for the BlackBerry product, which we were hoping to port over to the iPhone like end-to-end encryption, compression, website filtering and port filtering.

According to Apple, users who purchase iTether before it was pulled will continue to be able to use the product.

Our team is evaluating all of our options… Stay tuned. — iTether Team
    This app lasted about 12 hours longer than I thought it would. How could apple request a video
    and ask several follow-up questions and still approve this app?

“Bill, this is the third time you’ve approved a tethering app for the App Store. Explain yourself.”
    Bill stares blankly at his supervisor.
    “Bill, you were just as quiet last time we had this meeting. Please explain yourself.”
    Bill continues to stare blankly at his supervisor.
    The Supervisor’s assistant speaks up.
    “Sir, you do realize Bill is a chimpanzee. Right?”
    “Bill, don’t listen to him. Charlie is just jealous because you slept with his wife and get paid more than he does.”
    “Wait what?!”
    Bill’s supervisor hands him a banana.
    As always, if you were lucky enough to snag iTether before the Apple pulled it from the App Store it’s yours to keep and enjoy.

iTether, we hardly knew ye. May the App afterlife be kinder to you than your fruit bearing overlords.

Source: MacRumors

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I would assume ATT and other carriers can detect this just like they did with older versions of Cydia Store tethering applications.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Not PDANet!
    Their Level II using hiding was like you were browsing on your phone.
    I can't wait for the day a jailbreak comes out for the iPhone 4S so I can use it again.
    I'm not sure if I'm mad at myself for not snagging this or glad to not risk my unlimited plan.

Thanks

I think it's more a case of some carriers under investing in infrastructure for years and not being ready for the surge in data consumption that started a couple of years ago. My networks best deal is 2GB per month for browsing and tethering, but that is on their 61.00 iPhone plan.

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Senyaichiya View Post
    Not PDANet!
    Their Level II using hiding was like you were browsing on your phone.
    I can't wait for the day a jailbreak comes out for the iPhone 4S so I can use it again.
    I'm not sure if I'm mad at myself for not snagging this or glad to not risk my unlimited plan.
    PDANet offers some protection. It's not fool proof. Carriers can still funk you over for it if they find you. All it takes is some good old investigating.

Thanks

I had my unlimited data plan yanked a long time ago for tethering and at the time I didn't even have an unlocked phone or any tethering app. I fought to get it back and they wouldn't do it, so now I have a 4gb plan and tethering.

Thanks
    Was thinking about buying before it got pulled, I could have. But like they said there evaluating there options, so maybe it would be a waste of 15 bones sooner than later...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    PDANet offers some protection. It's not fool proof. Carriers can still funk you over for it if they find you. All it takes is some good old investigating.
    It does only take investigating, however I doubt any company would put research into looking at someone who uses two gigs.
    I got a letter for AT&T saying they would throttle me if I was in the top five percent of data hogs (I used the downloader application to download shows on my phone) where was I going with this?

Thanks
    I would suggest the makers of the iTether app to put up torrents of their app for users to download them and install them from other sources other than app store. Apple wants to control everything. EVIL APPLE

dsg
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,792 Times in 713 Posts

they should bring it to the Jailbreakers

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have bought itether and the app connects on the laptop and AT&T Iphone 4S and works with no problem. However when I click the home button it loses connectivity. Also loses connection on incoming call. how is this functioning for others?

iPhone? More like MyPhone andygev35's Avatar
    Thanks

What I'd like to know is how the app developers knew the amount of data consumed by their customers... Does this install a profile and go through a server of theirs to authorize the tethering? If so, then that's understandable... If not then is there some snooping going on?
    Last edited by andygev35; 11-29-2011 at 10:20 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DaLsim's Avatar
    Thanks

sooner or later, Everything u use will need tether? that how CRAPple make it $$$$!!! CRAPple bank get bigger while ur bank get smaller...

iPhone? More like MyPhone andygev35's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaLsim View Post
    sooner or later, Everything u use will need tether? that how CRAPple make it $$$$!!! CRAPple bank get bigger while ur bank get smaller...
    What does tethering have to do with Apple? Is Apple your wireless service provider? I think not.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wicrowe View Post
    I have bought itether and the app connects on the laptop and AT&T Iphone 4S and works with no problem. However when I click the home button it loses connectivity. Also loses connection on incoming call. how is this functioning for others?
    Might be because you are in an "E" data area instead of "3G", my calls always use to disconnect me on "E" data.... So if you got itether from the AppStore, a carrier can't get mad at you for tethering then and change your unlimited data plan?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Good thought but I had a solid 3G signal. I'm thinking itether doesn't multitask like MyWI does. Did you buy itether? Some feedback from other owners of itether would be great. Thanks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wicrowe View Post
    Good thought but I had a solid 3G signal. I'm thinking itether doesn't multitask like MyWI does. Did you buy itether? Some feedback from other owners of itether would be great. Thanks.
    No, I've never used it before, I was just saying my experience while using a tether app before... I do use all kinds of back ground stuff for my iPhone from Curia though

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gerneio View Post
    Might be because you are in an "E" data area instead of "3G", my calls always use to disconnect me on "E" data.... So if you got itether from the AppStore, a carrier can't get mad at you for tethering then and change your unlimited data plan?

I wouldn't bet my money on it. I've been saying that I see no difference between tethering with MyWi vs this app - as far as your carrier is concerned. The issue is with tethering period. If you don't have it on your data plan you are not allowed.

iPhone? More like MyPhone MYPHONEI's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gerneio View Post
    Your kidding right?
    Facts I know about AT&T
    1. You get a subsidized phone in exchange to buy service from them on contract for 2 years.
    2. The phone is no longer AT&T's even though locked to them if you unlock it or break it they do not care. Case in point, last month I had in my posession a new 3gs for 4 hours it had a problem and I wanted to exchange same day, AT&T corporate store said no send to Apple its not an AT&T problem or equipment no phone is. Called Corporate AT&T they confirmed it the phone is mine and my problem
    3. Went through similar last year same line from the office of the president AT&T "We own contracts not phones" in essence they do not own the phone you do, they really never want it back just you to pay for service and charges, this is why HP printers can be sold for 50 dollars or less, its the ink they want you to buy

To answer your question no
    AT&T does not care what is officially sold where all they care about is charging for service
    You want tether?
    You pay for the service
    Simple
    You tether without plan and get caught
    Its your fault no one elses
    Not Apple
    Not Cydia
    At&T and Tmobile have rules
    You have a contract to follow them or you agreed to be charged
    The carriers will always win
    Last edited by MYPHONEI; 12-01-2011 at 10:39 AM.

Thanks

You can still get it if you have a jailbroken phone...