+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 5 Spotted in iOS 5.1 Code?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 I believe it is the 4S The article said the 4,1 is the 4S and the 3,1 is the 4 Originally Posted by Puka1701 Of course
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 View Post
    I believe it is the 4S
    The article said the 4,1 is the 4S and the 3,1 is the 4

Quote Originally Posted by Puka1701 View Post
    Of course the next iPhone will have either the "iPhone5,1", or "iPhone4,2" machine identifier. It probably won't be called "iPhone 5" though, "iPhone 4G" is a far more likely marketing name. But what about that "iPhone3,3"? To my knowledge, it never saw the light of day.
    Are you sure the 3,3 isn't the Verizon iPhone 4? Edit: No, that would be the 3,2

So far all Apple is doing in this update is trying to get the rumor mill going on their next devices? Usually X.1 updates have some over hyped feature to give Apple an excuse to make more commercials.
    Last edited by Zokunei; 11-29-2011 at 04:51 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

What's all this iPhone 5 nonsense? The iPhone 4S IS THE IPHONE 5!!! I'll just wait for the iPhone 6 (or whatever they will call it). And before you all jump on me for "not knowing what I'm talking about" let me give you all a little something to ponder over. iPhone (1) iPhone 3G (2) iPhone 3GS (3) iPhone 4 (4) Obvioulsy called the "4" cause it was the 4th generation iPhone. And this for some reason is the reason everyone "thinks" the next iPhones from here on out will go in numerical order. iPhone 4S (5) *6th Generation iPhone is next (calling it iPhone 5 would be stupid) So yeah, if you want your iPhone 5 so bad just get the 4S... hahaha.

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by a17o17ymous View Post
    What's all this iPhone 5 nonsense? The iPhone 4S IS THE IPHONE 5!!! I'll just wait for the iPhone 6 (or whatever they will call it). And before you all jump on me for "not knowing what I'm talking about" let me give you all a little something to ponder over. iPhone (1) iPhone 3G (2) iPhone 3GS (3) iPhone 4 (4) Obvioulsy called the "4" cause it was the 4th generation iPhone. And this for some reason is the reason everyone "thinks" the next iPhones from here on out will go in numerical order. iPhone 4S (5) *6th Generation iPhone is next (calling it iPhone 5 would be stupid) So yeah, if you want your iPhone 5 so bad just get the 4S... hahaha.
    Lol the iPhone 4S is the iPhone 5?

So they went from iPhone 3G to iPhone 3GS. I suppose the iPhone 3GS was the iPhone 4 right?

No buddy. The iPhone 4S is an upgraded iPhone 4. The iPhone 5 is the next model. (They could always name it something different, but it won't be 6).

EDIT: To clarify, iPhone 3,1 = iPhone 4. iPhone 4,1 = iPhone 4S. That could only mean that iPhone 5,1 = iPhone 5 (unless of course they name it something different) It won't be 6 because that would skip the number 5 altogether...
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 11-29-2011 at 10:19 PM.

Thanks

How long before release do these plist entries usually appear? As far as I remember they appear a long time before the product is even unveiled.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Lol the iPhone 4S is the iPhone 5?

So they went from iPhone 3G to iPhone 3GS. I suppose the iPhone 3GS was the iPhone 4 right?

No buddy. The iPhone 4S is an upgraded iPhone 4. The iPhone 5 is the next model. (They could always name it something different, but it won't be 6).

EDIT: To clarify, iPhone 3,1 = iPhone 4. iPhone 4,1 = iPhone 4S. That could only mean that iPhone 5,1 = iPhone 5 (unless of course they name it something different) It won't be 6 because that would skip the number 5 altogether...
    Did you not read my post??? The iPhone 3GS is the THIRD iPhone. Making the iPhone 4 the FOURTH!!! So therefore the 4S = 5th generation iPhone.

So tell me. Why was the iPhone 4 called the iPhone 4? It's called the 4 cause it's the 4th generation iPhone right? Calling the next iPhone (which WILL be the 6th generation iPhone) iPhone 5 won't make any sense. Tell me why didn't they just call each iPhone by its corresponding generation?

iPhone, iPhone 2, iPhone 3 and so on? The next iPhone won't be called the 5. I don't think it'll be called 6 either. That would just confuse people. Shoot when the iPhone 4 was announced so many people assumed it was a 4G phone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Not like we haven't seen these pop up then disappear before. This isn't quite news, per say. Also, please check the spelling. It really is becoming rather difficult to not say something about every typo.

Thanks

Did you not read my post??? The iPhone 3GS is the THIRD iPhone. Making the iPhone 4 the FOURTH!!! So therefore the 4S = 5th generation iPhone.

So tell me. Why was the iPhone 4 called the iPhone 4? It's called the 4 cause it's the 4th generation iPhone right? Calling the next iPhone (which WILL be the 6th generation iPhone) iPhone 5 won't make any sense. Tell me why didn't they just call each iPhone by its corresponding generation?

iPhone, iPhone 2, iPhone 3 and so on? The next iPhone won't be called the 5. I don't think it'll be called 6 either. That would just confuse people. Shoot when the iPhone 4 was announced so many people assumed it was a 4G phone.
    iPhone 3,1 is the iPhone 4. So I do not know why you are saying that the iPhone 4S is the 5th generation iPhone when it is the iPhone 4,1. It's actually the fourth generation iPhone.

You can numerically count the phones as they come out – but hardware-wise (which is the way that tech communities prefer to look at things) the iPhone 4S is the fourth iPhone. That is why its hardware name is iPhone 4,1. There was no iPhone 2G; it went from iPhone, to iPhone 3G to iPhone 3GS. Since the iPhone 3GS was just an upgraded model of the iPhone 3G, they didn't name the hardware anything special. iPhone 3G = iPhone 2,1 and iPhone 3GS = iPhone 2,2. That is why the iPhone 4 is 3,1 and the iPhone 4S is 4,1.

I see what you're saying, but you're not counting them right.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    iPhone 3,1 is the iPhone 4. So I do not know why you are saying that the iPhone 4S is the 5th generation iPhone when it is the iPhone 4,1. It's actually the fourth generation iPhone.

You can numerically count the phones as they come out but hardware-wise (which is the way that tech communities prefer to look at things) the iPhone 4S is the fourth iPhone. That is why its hardware name is iPhone 4,1. There was no iPhone 2G; it went from iPhone, to iPhone 3G to iPhone 3GS. Since the iPhone 3GS was just an upgraded model of the iPhone 3G, they didn't name the hardware anything special. iPhone 3G = iPhone 2,1 and iPhone 3GS = iPhone 2,2. That is why the iPhone 4 is 3,1 and the iPhone 4S is 4,1.

I see what you're saying, but you're not counting them right.
    Exactly. That's the point I was trying to make. Each new upgrade model is a new generation. Like u said "hardware-wise" each new iPhone that came out had a hardware upgrade. Whether its a new radio or lens to make the camera better. So by you saying that. You just made my point. Fact is there are 5 iPhone models out now. 5 different generations. And each iPhone DID have a hardware upgrade.
    Last edited by a17o17ymous; 11-30-2011 at 04:31 PM.

Thanks

Exactly. That's the point I was trying to make. Each new upgrade model is a new generation. Like u said "hardware-wise" each new iPhone that came out had a hardware upgrade. Whether its a new radio or lens to make the camera better. So by you saying that. You just made my point. Fact is there are 5 iPhone models out now. 5 different generations. And each iPhone DID have a hardware upgrade.
    It sounded to me like you were saying at the beginning of this whole thing that the iPhone 5,1 in this list was the iPhone 4S. I was trying to point out that the iPhone 4S is iPhone 4,1.

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12