Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Seeds iOS 5.1 and Xcode 4.3 to Developers

iPhone? More like MyPhone GrandMasterB's Avatar
    Thanks

So I have an interesting question. I am not planning on installing this 5.1 release because I am on 5.0 holding out for the untether, but what happens to all us fine folk on 5.0 with a tethered JailBreak when the untether method comes out? Its probably not a good idea ( if even possible ) to re-jailbreak an already tethered jailbroken and heavily modded device wih a new jailbreak method is it? Traditionally I would have restored using my blobs and then jailbreak from a fresh restore to eliminate issues but with that no longer being possible with IOS5 how is this going to work? If I'm right then the coming 5.0 untethered jailbreak is really only going to be useful for people on stock unjailbroken 5.0 , or am I just being worried for nothing?
    Last edited by GrandMasterB; 11-28-2011 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    I wasn't aware that Apple forced updates now.
    Apple doesn't force updates. You always have the option to install them. I'm still on iOS 5.0.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandMasterB View Post
    So I have an interesting question. I am not planning on installing this 5.1 release because I am on 5.0 holding out for the untether, but what happens to all us fine folk on 5.0 with a tethered JailBreak when the untether method comes out? Its probably not a good idea ( if even possible ) to re-jailbreak an already tethered jailbroken and heavily modded device wih a new jailbreak method is it? Traditionally I would have restored using my blobs and then jailbreak from a fresh restore to eliminate issues but with that no longer being possible with IOS5 how is this going to work? If I'm right then the coming 5.0 untethered jailbreak is really only going to be useful for people on stock unjailbroken 5.0 , or am I just being worried for nothing?
    That's exactly what you will do. You will rejailbreak over the tethered jailbreak. It won't hurt anything. The jailbreak developers understand everyone's situation. They will make the jailbreak compatible with the tethered jailbreak.

We've always been able to count on them before; I expect that they will impress us again.

Damn, just did the bug report to the dev team on my 4S and then decided to tiny umbrella it at 5.0 little did I know that I had to do it whilst apple was signing them. I thought since I had it (5.0) on the device that the shsh could be saved. Anyway, next concern I didn't check my iPad 2 yet because I'm at work and it's at home, but it's on 4.3.3 JB of course...but if I didn't umbrella it while apple was signing 5.0 when the 5.0 untether comes out I'm screwed? Can someone clarify this for me. If its not saved am I stuck at 4.3.3?
    Do what you can when you can, Why Wait?

Quote Originally Posted by therandy View Post
    Damn, just did the bug report to the dev team on my 4S and then decided to tiny umbrella it at 5.0 little did I know that I had to do it whilst apple was signing them. I thought since I had it (5.0) on the device that the shsh could be saved. Anyway, next concern I didn't check my iPad 2 yes because I'm at work and it's at home, but it's on 4.3.3 JB of course...but if I didn't umbrella it while apple was signing 5.0 when the 5.0 untether comes out I'm screwed? Can someone clarify this for me. If its not saved am I stuck at 4.3.3?
    There's absolutely no way to get back to iOS 5.0 at this time. That means when the untethered jailbreak comes out, you will be rocking a tethered jailbreak on iOS 5.0.1/5.1 or an untethered jailbreak on iOS 4.3.3. Your choice

If you do not play to jailbreak your idevice the update to 5.1 : spelling error I believe it should be plan*

iPhone? More like MyPhone timbo's Avatar
    Thanks

IOS 5.1 is Jail-breakable via Redsn0w 0.9.9b8 (Tethered)

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard
    but when an untethered jailbreak is produced, it will only run on iOS 5.0.
    Again you are spreading misinformation...how can you guarantee that there will be ever an untethered jailbreak that runs ONLY on iOS 5.0???
    I don't see that you are a part of any dev team to be able to know that.

In fact if you listen to anything that p0sixninja wrote, you definitely won't see a jailbreak for iOS 5.0 (being that Apple already patched cricital exploits prior to 5.0 being released):
    "Apple found & patched a (critical) few of those exploits, between the beta versions we used for testing and the final release of iOS5 on October 12."

Until a solution is found to replace SHSH blobs, it will be sh**ty situation with jailbreak because by the time any jailbreak is out Apple will most likely stop singing that firmware anyway...an issue for us that only want to upgrade to jailbreakable firmware.
    Last edited by brab; 11-29-2011 at 03:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    The answer is a resounding "yes." Old bootrom 3GS phones will always have an untethered jailbreak available to them, regardless of what version of iOS they're on (not always immediately mind you, but it's a fairly easy jump as opposed to developing new exploits).

--Just looking over the various documents (as reported by other sites)--looks like the changelog for this version is a big cup of "no changes" with a couple minor API tweaks. This version better have impeccable battery life, faster and more capable Siri functionality, the ability to know what I want for lunch before I do, and solve world poverty, hunger, and strife...
    I have a 3GS with 3.1.2 on it how or where can I did info for it to do the untethered jailbreak on it with this old boot rom on so that I can pit the newest iOS on it and it being jailbroken.
    Last edited by spooneditr; 11-29-2011 at 09:10 AM.

Your mom has "spirit" but I used my "pwnage tool" on her all night long and "ultrasn0wed" all over her. haha

Thanks
    Thanked 15,546 Times in 7,107 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by brab View Post
    Again you are spreading misinformation...how can you guarantee that there will be ever an untethered jailbreak that runs ONLY on iOS 5.0???

In fact if you listen to anything that p0sixninja wrote, you definitely won't see a jailbreak for iOS 5.0 (being that Apple already patched cricital exploits prior to 5.0 being released):
    "Apple found & patched a (critical) few of those exploits, between the beta versions we used for testing and the final release of iOS5 on October 12."

Until a solution is found to replace SHSH blobs, it will be sh**ty situation with jailbreak because by the time any jailbreak is out Apple will most likely stop singing that firmware anyway...an issue for us that only want to upgrade to jailbreakable firmware.
    I believe MuscleNerd (and pod2G) posted on his twitter when 5.0.1 came out that the initial untethered jailbreak would only be for 5.0 since 5.0.1 closed the hole that was going to be used to jailbreak. Not sure what has come of that since then though.

IMHO there's no use for iOS 5.0 jailbreak now as a most of us with iPad 2s are still on 4.3.3 with no way to upgrade to 5.0 (since Apple stopped signing).Additionally new devices now are shipping with 5.0.1.That's why to make a statement that untethered JB will ONLY be released for 5.0 is misinformation, as things have changed if you ask me.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,546 Times in 7,107 Posts

It wasn't misinformation when they said it (and still isn't). I am still on 5.0 on my iPhone 4S and quite a lot of people have stuck to 5.0 in hope of a untethered jailbreak. So saying it is useless is not quite right. I will say as more time passes and no jailbreak is released a 5.0 only jailbreak does become less relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by brab View Post

I'm not spreading any of the sort. YOU need to pay attention to Musclenerd and Pod2g before you point fingers missy.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 11-29-2011 at 11:48 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12