+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Giveaway] Want to Be Able to Upload Files Using the iOS Mobile Safari?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
How would you like to be able to upload files to the internet using Mobile Safari? Mobile Safari is a highly limited mobile Web browser that does not allow you
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 772 Posts

Default [Giveaway] Want to Be Able to Upload Files Using the iOS Mobile Safari?

How would you like to be able to upload files to the internet using Mobile Safari?

Mobile Safari is a highly limited mobile Web browser that does not allow you to download or upload anything. It's very closed and allows you only to browse. Thanks to an awesome jailbreak developer, Nikias Bassen, we can now have the option to upload files from our iDevice using Mobile Safari. The tweak is called Safari Upload Enabler and it has been fully updated to work with iOS 5's new Mobile Safari application which has been re-written with a faster nitro-javascript engine, private browsing options, and more.

Safari Upload Enabler is simply awesome. It works great with iFile since you can place files in a specific folder and they upload them with this tweak later. One great example that I have are image hosting sites. Sometimes, we don't want our SpringBoard cluttered with all of those applications that upload photos. To me, it seems like a cool idea to be able to save memory by deleting those applications and instead, being able to upload photos directly through Mobile Safari! One such example of an image hosting site that I use is TinyPic which I will be using in this example below:

Normally, if you were to visit TinyPic without Safari Upload Enabler installed, you would not be able to tap on the, "choose file" button to bring up any options. Once you install this tweak, you can tap on it, and it will open up your iDevice's directory:

You can navigate through your iPhone's directory until you find exactly what photo that you want and from there you can upload it. Safari Upload Enabler doesn't only work with photos. It will work with any file on your iDevice that you can find in your directory. You just need to find a website that supports any file.

Once such example might be Dropbox, which you can upload anything to. The developer has added full Dropbox integration into this cool little tweak that lets you upload things to your Dropbox account. Here are the settings of Safari Upload Enabler which include settings for signing into Dropbox:

There is also the option to show hidden files, show the whole names, and also to reveal the entire filesystem. You can enable and disable Safari Upload Enabler on demand using the orange switch at the top of the Settings window.

So, being able to upload anything from my iDevice when I want to? Awesome tweak! As always, good job Nikias!

Name: Safari Upload Enabler
    Version: 1.0-5
    Price: $1.99
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developers: Nikias Bassen, H. Samara
    Editor's Rating:  5/5

I was able to get in touch with Nikias to ask some questions about Safari Upload Enabler:

Anthony: Could you tell us in a paragraph a little about yourself? You can include how you became a developer, your educational goals, or anything else you would like to share with Modmyi.
    Nikias: I've been developing for more than 10 years now; mostly for Linux but also for other systems and in multiple programming languages. iOS development was the obvious next step to go. Me and my partner will work on further projects to provide you with more useful tweaks in the future.

Anthony: What was it that gave you the idea to make Safari Upload Enabler?
    Nikias: The initial idea to do that came to us a long time ago. There was a situation where a friend wanted to write an email on a webmail page and wanted to upload a photo that should be attached. But the 'Choose File' button is disabled. However trying to enable it was not so easy as we thought. It was really complicated and took a long time to make it work.

Anthony: How do you feel about Apple's Safari not being able to upload or download anything like traditional browsers?
    Nikias: Well, they do it for a reason and I can understand that. However that's why we jailbreak, to add missing functionality. :)

Anthony: What are your favorite uses for Safari Upload Enabler? Give some examples of Web Sites that it might be useful on.
    Nikias: Examples are webmail sites, YouTube, or file sharing sites like Mediafire or 2shared.

Anthony: Are there any settings to configure? If so what are your recommended settings?
    Nikias: Yes, there's a preference bundle included so you can change Safari Upload Enabler's settings from the Preferences.app. Settings include access to the entire filesystem, show/hide hidden files, and in the user's Applications folder show the app names instead of the long AC1728... names for apps from the AppStore. Users not using Dropbox can also disable the Drobpox support there. I personally set to show the app names and access to the entire filesystem. But most useful data is on the user's media partition so it's not a required setting.

Thanks for the interview, Nikias! Awesome guy and awesome jailbreak tweak!

The Giveaway!

Nikias was generous enough to offer to giveaway TEN copies of Safari Upload Enabler to the wonderful Modmyi readers!

Here's how to win:

Follow me @BouchardAnthony
    Follow ModMyi @Modmyi
    Retweet this article with your Cydia number in the tweet; if you do not have the Cydia number in your tweet, you will be disqualified from the drawing. Within the tweet you must also mention @BouchardAnthony so that I can easily see who has entered the drawing. If you don't mention me, you will also be disqualified. The tweet must include the following text, "I entered a contest to win Safari Upload Enabler for iOS 5!"

Winners will be announced on Monday, November 28. Good luck to all of you that enter!

Sources: Nikias Bassen

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

This is so cool. Thanks for writing an article on this.

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

iPhone? More like MyPhone Cellular's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes! Just what I needed! I am do buying this!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Xenthis's Avatar
    Thanks

About time the iPhone had this... Also - is there an alternative to Safari Download Manager or will it be upgraded soon?

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 772 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xenthis View Post
    About time the iPhone had this... Also - is there an alternative to Safari Download Manager or will it be upgraded soon?
    Dustin Howett is working on Safari Download Manager as we speak. I contacted him on Twitter about it.

These kinds of Safari-enhancing applications are much more complex than you would think.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,354 Times in 1,307 Posts

SafariDownloadManager coupled with SafariUploadManager and iFile are a few of the best things a serious idevice jailbreaker and modder could have installed. I recommend to anyone who know their way around the device to get them if they don't already. To see them upgraded to iOS 5 is great news. And best of luck to those who win a copy, but even if you don't it's definitely worth the price!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I'm a huge uploader on Mediafire so this is great! Not having to plug the iPad or iPhone into the computer, then SSH, then backup to computer, then upload to FSS's is going to be awesome. Thanks to the Nikias for the tweak and Anthony for the post.

Thanks

Just installed it. This is one of the finest jailbreak tweaks I could ever possible have on my iPad! Thank you for posting this and to the developers who compiled it as well. I would easily pay 20 dollars for this tweak. It's a shame Apple won't allow this on the iOS default browser.