+ Reply
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbreak Tweak Enables Siri Dictation on iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and iPod Touch

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I got esra and it sucked! I kept getting errors and stuff. It was horrible so it's a no go for me. Why even release it of the servers are
    My iPhone is a Part of Me PoEtikly's Avatar
    Thanks

I got esra and it sucked! I kept getting errors and stuff. It was horrible so it's a no go for me. Why even release it of the servers are down?

So if Siri0us is "illegal" right now can apple tell if we have it on our phones and can we get in any kind of trouble for having it? Just curious?
    Last edited by PoEtikly; 11-30-2011 at 08:07 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PoEtikly View Post
    So if Siri0us is "illegal" right now can apple tell if we have it on our phones and can we get in any kind of trouble for having it? Just curious?
    No. Even if they could tell you had it (which they can't), you couldn't get in any legal trouble. If they could tell, you could only get in Apple trouble.

What is illegal is releasing an app with copyrighted code (or files in general), not being an end-user. This is because it is illegal to distribute copyrighted material.
    Last edited by Zokunei; 11-30-2011 at 08:45 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone MYPHONEI's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    No. Even if they could tell you had it (which they can't), you couldn't get in any legal trouble. If they could tell, you could only get in Apple trouble.

What is illegal is releasing an app with copyrighted code (or files in general), not being an end-user. This is because it is illegal to distribute copyrighted material.
    I'm not a Lawyer ( dont pretend like most here)

Stealing server time from Apple or carrier is illegal

No if ands or buts

You use siri on anything but a 4s your breaking the law

I'm for JB and its legal but this issue I agree with Apple, its thier server they have a right to limit traffic.
    Last edited by MYPHONEI; 12-01-2011 at 11:14 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PoEtikly's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MYPHONEI View Post

No if ands or buts

I'm for JB and its legal but this issue I agree with Apple, its thier server they have a right to limit traffic.
    Then I guess it's a good thing that this tweak is NOT Siri. It's a dictation program similar to one part of Siri, but is again NOT Siri.

Quote Originally Posted by mustard05 View Post
    Yes, I have the exact same problem. The dictation works great, but I open messages a lot. This needs to be fixed ASAP.
    Get BiteSMS and use the quick compose feature, then there's no worries of having to go to The messages.app. The keyboard still comes up and I can verify that Sirious will work on quick compose. I myself cannot live without BiteSMS. It's def one of the must have jailbreak apps. I'm really surprised that Apple did not integrate a QC with iOS 5. The ONLY thing BiteSMS needs is a text to speech button so it will read your text to you (in case you are driving, etc...).

NOTE: The only way to get BiteSMS on iOS 5 is through a standalone repo (I'm sorry I do not have repo on hand, but will repost with source) that is only for the beta version, but they're constantly updating the beta version for iOS 5 and it works great. Sorry to throw all that in there but I do not have that issue with BiteSMS so found it to be relevant. Hope it helps.
    Last edited by PoEtikly; 12-01-2011 at 02:46 PM.

Thanks

No if ands or buts

Not sure why that was directed at me considering what I posted was the actual issue here. This tweak uses the Siri files and not the Siri servers. I never pretended to be a lawyer either, I was just stating my understanding of the law like you.

Thanks

Not sure why that was directed at me considering what I posted was the actual issue here. This tweak uses the Siri files and not the Siri servers. I never pretended to be a lawyer either, I was just stating my understanding of the law like you.
    WOW how can you use SIRI without using the server? Its how it works! WOW

Quote Originally Posted by PoEtikly View Post
    Then I guess it's a good thing that this tweak is NOT Siri. It's a dictation program similar to one part of Siri, but is again NOT Siri.

I'm confused? Did not Apple just pull this due to copyright problem from another company? seems like no matter what you say its a problem and may not be legal

Thanks

WOW how can you use SIRI without using the server? Its how it works! WOW
    This particular tweak uses the Siri GUI (the part that is illegal) and a separate server to avoid needing 4S keys. The dictation service is not truly Apple's. The GUI is.

Thanks

This particular tweak uses the Siri GUI (the part that is illegal) and a separate server to avoid needing 4S keys. The dictation service is not truly Apple's. The GUI is.
    I think anything that messes with SIRI may be illegal here's WHY:

Apple’s Siri is sassy, clever and occasionally useful.

But how the hell does it really work?

“Voice recognition” is what Siri does, but those words alone don’t reveal how the system actually gets your words right when you say, “Send message to Jason Perlow: Go get a shave, Linux Lover.”

But a lengthy feature article over at our sister site SmartPlanet has the dirt, step by step:

The sounds of your speech were immediately encoded into a compact digital form that preserves its information.

The signal from your connected phone was relayed wirelessly through a nearby cell tower and through a series of land lines back to your Internet Service Provider where it then communicated with a server in the cloud, loaded with a series of models honed to comprehend language.

Simultaneously, your speech was evaluated locally, on your device. A recognizer installed on your phone communicates with that server in the cloud to gauge whether the command can be best handled locally — such as if you had asked it to play a song on your phone — or if it must connect to the network for further assistance. (If the local recognizer deems its model sufficient to process your speech, it tells the server in the cloud that it is no longer needed: “Thanks very much, we’re OK here.”)
    http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/how-ap...ly-works/62461

The "Server in the cloud" is Apples and it seems no matter what you do with Siri it needs to connect to the server for the voice recognition and if this is true and you try to Hack Siri to use it on another device then you are still going to use Apple server's when Apple did not give you permission.

I guess I do not trust all these "Weekend" Hackers to have thought this through as much.............

So it may look like I'm arguing but I'm trying to tell people I think there is a problem with fooling with Siri, yes I think its cool and no I have an Iphone 4 so no Siri for me

Thanks

I think anything that messes with SIRI may be illegal here's WHY:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/how-ap...ly-works/62461

The "Server in the cloud" is Apples and it seems no matter what you do with Siri it needs to connect to the server for the voice recognition and if this is true and you try to Hack Siri to use it on another device then you are still going to use Apple server's when Apple did not give you permission.

I guess I do not trust all these "Weekend" Hackers to have thought this through as much.............

So it may look like I'm arguing but I'm trying to tell people I think there is a problem with fooling with Siri, yes I think its cool and no I have an Iphone 4 so no Siri for me
    I'm not arguing either, just disagreeing... Again. This article is about the command feature of Siri, not the dictation.

Thanks

You may be partially right though. The makers of this tweak say it was pulled for using the other servers that weren't Apple's.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iphonogasm's Avatar
    Thanks

It doesnt work for me, it types the wrong thing never gets it right? Are there any settings for it?

+ Reply
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567