+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [How To] Submit Your Crash Reports to the Chronic Dev Team: Help With Untether!

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
In this guide, we will show you how to submit your crash reports to help the Chronic Dev Team find exploits for the iOS 5 untethered jailbreak. Please help them,
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default [How To] Submit Your Crash Reports to the Chronic Dev Team: Help With Untether!

In this guide, we will show you how to submit your crash reports to help the Chronic Dev Team find exploits for the iOS 5 untethered jailbreak. Please help them, by submitting your crash reports; it's quick and painless and goes to a good cause.

The picture above is the Chronic Dev Team crash reporter. It was announced last night. This tool will submit your crash reports to the Chronic Dev Team. It will require your Mac OS X administrator password to run after you install it because it will change the server of your iTunes crash reports from Apple to the Chronic Dev Team instead. Please enter your password and allow the application to run. The server change is reversible. Allowing this tool to run will send the Chronic Dev Team information about everyone's crash reports. This will give the Chronic Dev Team a ton of situations to look at and hopefully offer them enough data to find more untethered jailbreak exploits. You can read more about it on the Chronic Dev Team blog, here.

Right now, the Chronic Dev Team crash reporter is available for Mac OS X and Windows. This guide will work the same on Windows as it will for Mac OS X. Users can download the Chronic Dev Team crash reporter right now:
    Chronic Dev Team crash reporter for Mac.
    Chronic Dev Team crash reporter for Windows.

After you open the application, the window will look like the picture above. It will ask you to plug an iDevice in. If you plug your iDevice in and you have a pass code set, you will get the following error message:

To get rid of the error message, simply unlock your iDevice, enter the pass code, and once you are on the SpringBoard, you will notice that the error message is now gone. Go ahead and click the, "Do it!" button so that your crash reports will be submitted to the Chronic Dev Team. When you do this, it will begin uploading. The process takes about 20 seconds, give or take, depending on your internet speed as shown below:

After it finishes, you can unplug your iDevice and submit crash reports for another iDevice or you can delete the tool. When it's finished, it will give you a, "SUCCESS" message as shown below:

You are now finished. If you have uploaded your crash reports, then thank you for the generosity to the Chronic Dev Team. They will use your crash reports to gather data in trying to find more exploits for the untethered iOS 5 jailbreak.

You can follow me on Twitter and I will keep you up to date on Chronic Dev Team news.

How did the submission go for you? Share in the comments below!

Sources Chronic Dev Team Blog

Thanks
    At first (when I read josh article) I thought this program was a little suspicious, but now it seems legit thanks to all the members who gave their feedback about this program.

Though, I'm still not quite sure how these crash reports will help the development of an untethered jailbreak.
    But then again, I am a noob (or am I )

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CustomSS1 View Post

Though, I'm still not quite sure how these crash reports will help the development of an untethered jailbreak.
    Crashes are generally the result of poorly written or implemented code. This may be on Apple's side, or it may be on the dev's side who's app you are using (I'd get crashes all the time with various cydia apps). This may expose some holes that the team were previously unaware of.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

I had 252 but It keeps failing around 35% .... :scratch head:

iPhone? More like MyPhone DaLsim's Avatar
    Thanks

Hope they can find an untether soon, with all this crash reports sent to them, included mine...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DnBKiD521 View Post
    I had 252 but It keeps failing around 35% .... :scratch head:

Mine was failing at 35% too but I opened my phone to the springboard and then it successfully completed. Hope that helps.

Thanks

Iw will help Chronic Dev Team members find exploits with the crash reports. I've seen numerous times when devs have find crash to develop exploits. An example would be the DSi.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CustomSS1 View Post
    At first (when I read josh article) I thought this program was a little suspicious, but now it seems legit thanks to all the members who gave their feedback about this program.

But then again, I am a noob (or am I )
    Which members? Where? What makes you think it is something to use?

I have yet to be convinced that I should use it.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Liveitlive's Avatar
    Thanks

I get a "ERROR: could not upload crash reports!" wtd now?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,751 Times in 2,641 Posts

Done > iphone 4 at 5.0.1 and 3gs at 5.0

iPhone? More like MyPhone Liveitlive's Avatar
    Thanks

Oh... And I got 3,773 before the errors & 3,779 after lol. Seems far more than most others I've seen, guess that's a good thing. Once I can UL anyways.

Thanks
    UNTETHEREDUNTETHEREDUNTETHEREDUNTETHEREDUNTETHERED UNTETHEREDUNTETHEREDUNTETHEREDUNTETHEREDUNTETHERED UNTETHEREDUNTETHEREDUNTETHEREDUNTETHEREDUNTETHERED UNTETHEREDUNTETHEREDUNTETHEREDUNTETHEREDUNTETHERED UNTETHEREDUNTETHEREDUNTETHEREDUNTETHEREDUNTETHERED UNTETHEREDUNTETHEREDUNTETHEREDUNTETHEREDUNTETHERED UNTETHEREDUNTETHEREDUNTETHEREDUNTETHEREDUNTETHERED UNTETHEREDUNTETHEREDUNTETHEREDUNTETHEREDUNTETHERED

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Wow, I got only 18 reports. Weird.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Which members? Where? What makes you think it is something to use?

I have yet to be convinced that I should use it.
    There is a certain level of trust that goes into allowing a program developed by a third party group of people to jailbreak your phone, and then install apps from a third party source not warranted by Apple. I don't see this sort of application as any different, in terms of risk. (If risk/security is not what you were getting at then please expound because I certainly missed it).
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    There is a certain level of trust that goes into allowing a program developed by a third party group of people to jailbreak your phone, and then install apps from a third party source not warranted by Apple. I don't see this sort of application as any different, in terms of risk. (If risk/security is not what you were getting at then please expound because I certainly missed it).
    ^^^pwned

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Now you've got me. I wont install anything unless my friends tell me it's safe. I say you should not install ANYTHING from any repo that is not installed by default. Anything else is beta or wrong - if it's beta then talk to the dev and find out why.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    It tripped my AVG threat, had to disable it to use it. Worked fine after that.

Thanks

So if I do this with my unjailbroken 5.0.1 ipad 2 it will help them make a jailbreak for it? Guess I gotta start getting some apps to crash for the cause because I only just accidently updated (because i wanted to use airplay mirroring with the apple tv i just bought)

Thanks

Worked fine with bitdefender... No viruses found. Threat free people !

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Now you've got me. I wont install anything unless my friends tell me it's safe. I say you should not install ANYTHING from any repo that is not installed by default. Anything else is beta or wrong - if it's beta then talk to the dev and find out why.
    That wasn't my point. My point is, who's to say installing from repos that are installed by default is safe? For all we know it may very well not be. Or if it is now, it may not continue to be.

This is from the same people that have brought us various jailbreak tweaks, is it not? Why should one trust a jailbreak software, but not this software?

Quote Originally Posted by SnowLeo View Post
    So if I do this with my unjailbroken 5.0.1 ipad 2 it will help them make a jailbreak for it?
    It may, or it may not. Can't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by DnBKiD521 View Post
    Worked fine with bitdefender... No viruses found. Threat free people !
    The potential risk here isn't just viruses. It could be pulling your private information and phoning home. There is a very really risk of that, I'll admit. There is a very real risk of plenty of other stuff people freely install to do the very same thing.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 11-27-2011 at 04:37 PM.

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast